Electric Bike Ban

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
What a ridiculous attitude; banning an entire class of vehicle rather than properly regulating and prosecuting individuals for their dangerous actions.

alan blake

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 28, 2014
At many speeds ebike use less energy than a humanpowered cycle riding the same route .
It makes a total shambles of any green house , green peace, green green , greener planet thing that bunny huggers have been bashing on about .

What a load of Jackson Pollocks . The world is way too full of Barclays bankers .
And suckers who listen to them.
Theres a reason I left the 'civilised world'

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Welcome to two years ago! Been discussed at length on ES. The origins of the ban was the wrecklessness of the many couriers/delivery bikers New York has (if you order a pizza in New York it'll arrive by cycle most probably) - and it was noted that many of those couriers when stopped for traffic violations were also riding ebikes - so the authorities saw the ebike as a cause, rather than a correlation.

Happily, alot of non courier riders are ignoring the ban and the police there have all but given up enforcing it unless the rider is contravening traffic laws (running stop lights, mounting sidewalks, going the wrong way down a one way street etc) and the only people being fined are those that have contravened other regulations at the same time.

So, if you ride sensibly, the police will leave you alone - much like over here if you ride a "naughty" ebike.

D

Deleted member 4366

The delivery riders will just swap back to petrol powered mopeds.
But then they can't take all the shortcuts through the parks, footpaths, cyclepaths etc, which was the problem.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Well, I guess what has happened over there is precisely why many on this forum argue against illegal e-bike usage over here.

The problem is not caused by the speed capability of the cycles but those who use that speed irresponsibly. The minority ruin it for the majority.

Ever built a steam driven cycle?

Reactions: EddiePJ

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
E-bikes have been banned for very many years in both New York and Illinois states. The only difference courier riding in New York made was to attract enough attention to get enforcement of the existing law.

Illinois has been stricter, the law has always been enforced there.

There are also e-bike bans in a number of Chinese cities, plus bans from major routes in some major Chinese cities. The reason given for the Chinese bans is that they obstruct motor vehicles.

Reactions: mountainsport

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
E-bikes have been banned for very many years in both New York and Illinois states. The only difference courier riding in New York made was to attract enough attention to get enforcement of the existing law.

Illinois has been stricter, the law has always been enforced there.

There are also e-bike bans in a number of Chinese cities, plus bans from major routes in some major Chinese cities. The reason given for the Chinese bans is that they obstruct motor vehicles.
In that case they should have setup a congestion zone for every motor vehicle and give us ebikers a darn break for a change. ;)

MS.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Well, I guess what has happened over there is precisely why many on this forum argue against illegal e-bike usage over here.
But the ban wasn't about illegal ebikes - the ban was about legal ebikes being used illegally (if anything, anecdotal evidence suggests those riding "naughty" ebikes in New York very rarely got stopped for any traffic violations and generally passed under the radar).

Essentially, those riding legal ebikes badly spoilt it for everyone.

Oh, fyi - it's only NY city that's banned ebikes - in NY state it's still legal to use them.

Ever built a steam driven cycle?
No, just a go kart.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Oh, fyi - it's only NY city that's banned ebikes - in NY state it's still legal to use them.
Not so, the 2004 law banned e-bikes throughout the whole of New York State.

The current difference is that New York City has doubled the penalty for using one.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Not so, the 2004 law banned e-bikes throughout the whole of New York State.

The current difference is that New York City has doubled the penalty for using one.
Ah, I sit corrected then :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Ah, I sit corrected then :)
I wish you weren't. It's sad that states like Illinois and New York with a combined population of 33 millions, and containing such large cities as Chicago and New York City together containing 12 millions deprive so many of e-bikes.

Reactions: SRS

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
I wish you weren't. It's sad that states like Illinois and New York with a combined population of 33 millions, and containing such large cities as Chicago and New York City together containing 12 millions deprive so many of e-bikes.
Ditto. It's still good to see the police turning a blind eye and using some common sense though.