Electric bike experience so far

Daniel Chapman

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2016
So now I’ve done (what I consider) a decent amount of miles on my electric bike after hitting the 100 mile mark, I thought I would give my honest thoughts and experience using it. There are certainly pros and cons with it, and I hope that these thoughts will help others out there.

Pros
– So the first thing I’ve noticed is just how many miles I’ve covered in 1 month of having the bike. To put this into context, last year in a month I managed to cover little over 50 miles with a regular bike (I was also slightly lighter and less health complications). The miles I have covered so far on the electric bike have been completely trouble and hassle free, and I have cycled a couple of places I have never been on a normal bike for fear of not being able to get up a hill, or get up that never ending uphill gradient.

– During my more active weeks of getting out on the bike, I genuinely felt happier in myself and found that I was much less moody than usual. I suffer with anxiety and depression which can be a real struggle for me at times so feeling happier is more than welcome.

– I enjoy exercise. Ok so this one is debatable as there’s nowhere that I can find just how much exercise I’m getting, but generally my heart rate is between 120 and 150 when using my electric bike so its definitely getting the old ticker pumping but definitely not to the extent a non motorised bike would achieve.

– Cycle from home. For me this is a big one. Previously I had to take my bike 5 miles in a car to get to the cycle track (I still do at times) but now I can just leave the house and get pedalling wherever I want. I do still worry about cycling on the road as drivers really don’t seem to consider cyclists all that much, but I definitely feel more confident cycling on the road with the electric bike; I really do with there was a better cycle infrastructure here though as I now appreciate just how bad it really is!

Cons
– Being called a cheater and being asked what the point in cycling with an electric bike is. This one gets really old, really fast. I don’t think people understand just how hard it is to do anything when you weigh 320lbs, but I can assure you, everything is extremely hard, including just a simple walk or climbing the stairs. When I point out to people that it enables me to get light exercise when otherwise I couldn’t get any they tend to understand it a bit more. I’ve also noticed that people think it pedals itself, this seems a misconception that I’d love to see the major bike retailers address.

– On my journeys I’ve noticed an incredible lack of places to securely lock my bike up, I honestly thought this day in age the world would be much more accommodating to cycles, but there really is nowhere to lock it up half of the time which unfortunately prevents me quickly nipping to Tesco express to pick up a few things and instead having to reach for the keys.

– No accurate way to measure calorie burn, I’d love to be proved wrong here, but there’s just no accurate way that it can be measured, I often halve what apps tell me I’ve burnt but this is just a pure guess.

Highlights
– For me, the biggest highlight has to be a group of lycra clad cyclists clearly laughing at me as they past (I really am getting used to this). As they cycled up a rather nasty incline I don’t think they were expecting this lump to attempt cycling up behind them.. But I did.. The group were just silent (though I’m not sure if this is because they were peddling like buggery to get up the hill as I eased up). It felt good, I know I had an incredible advantage over them, but it just felt good!

So in summary, I absolutely love my electric bike, it gets me out and about and u genuinely enjoy it; it allows me to get some light exercise and enjoy the little bit of sun that we get here in Wales. I would strongly suggest getting an electric bike to anyone, I imagine that the fitter you are, the more fun it would be (you’d definitely get a hell of a lot more miles than I do!)

falmouthtony

Esteemed Pedelecer
Great to hear the leccy bike's making life better for you Daniel.

I know I always feel better all round when I've been out. Think it's something to do with the oxygen getting into your blood and stuff.

My advice is to totally ignore anyone who makes negative comments. Just concentrate on the fact that you're feeling much better for it.

Maybe a long cable and a lightish padlock for when you're only leaving it for a few minutes shopping. Not too secure but at least it would give you a few more options to let you wrap it round anything you can find if there are no proper bike rack things. You'd be amazed what I find sometimes....drainpipes etc :)

Keep on enjoying the biking and keep telling us how you're getting on.

Tony

Reactions: Daniel Chapman

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You've got it right Daniel, those who call "cheating" simply have no idea what an e-bike is.

It's good to learn the pleasure you're getting, something we all fully understand.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

These Oxford/Squire roller locks are very good. They sit happily on the handlebars while you're riding, they're long enough to lock your bike to something nearby (lamppost, drain pipe, trolley rack, etc.), and secure enough to resist the tools that the opportunist thieves might carry.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oxford-Barrier-Motorcycle-Scooter-Bicycle-OF146-Spiral-Cable-Lock-1-5M-Blue-/400361560272?hash=item5d376898d0:m:mUFPbR2hUnumHlD9X69uF_Q

https://motaman.co.uk/cycle-accessories/bike-locks?product_id=9937

MRMAC9

Pedelecer
May 24, 2015
These Oxford/Squire roller locks are very good. They sit happily on the handlebars while you're riding, they're long enough to lock your bike to something nearby (lamppost, drain pipe, trolley rack, etc.), and secure enough to resist the tools that the opportunist thieves might carry.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oxford-Barrier-Motorcycle-Scooter-Bicycle-OF146-Spiral-Cable-Lock-1-5M-Blue-/400361560272?hash=item5d376898d0:m:mUFPbR2hUnumHlD9X69uF_Q

https://motaman.co.uk/cycle-accessories/bike-locks?product_id=9937

And never, ever wrap your lock around a tree trunk. We've all seen film of thieves cutting down trees to get at a bike.

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes. last time I went down to Tescos I saw loads of guys wandering around with chainsaws under their arms. I wondered what they were up to.

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
Great to hear how much your enjoying your bike.

Like yourself I used to take my non electric bike in my car to get to the start of some of my rides, because of the hills.

It's such a pleasure being able to cycle straight from my house on my pedelec.

I don't think I'd do even a quarter of the miles I now do without it. :)

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Same here. Pre pedalec I was getting out 3 or 4 times a year. Post pedalec I was getting out 3-4 times a week at the height of summer. I'm still discovering some stunning lanes in my part of Wales, not to mention some cruel hills. But the Ezee takes 'em all.

Siddie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 9, 2016
Purchased the premium i360 harmony with the Nuvinci Harmony Transmission. Terrible. Do not believe all the hype. Although you can climb hills it takes an awful lot of effort and the enjoyable electric bike experience is lost. Go for the geared bikes - there is no comparison. The after sales service is very poor. It took over 14 weeks to get a definitive answer to a straight forward question and the problem has not been resolved. If you do not live near a retail outlet it is very inconvenient trying to return the cycle and although the staff are helpful and sympathetic I felt the management were only covering ' their own backs'. A well made very expensive bike which is not delivering all that is promised. Be very wary

Mar 9, 2016
Great original post..
I,m just coming up to 300 .miles on pedelec...simply amazed how miles are adding up..
Got similar reaction from a couple of mates...crazy really.
Way I look at it, no matter who you are, from Lance Armstrong down to rest of us...everyone can benefit..go higher, go faster, go longer...enjoy it more..simple..
Mate I was telling changed attitude when after told him mileage and where I was going in bike.WP_20160420_009.jpg

For the Harmony i360 Nuvinci ???

Last edited:

ocb

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2015
For the OP.
An ex-colleague was a heavy chap – he was a very early adopter of an e-bike.
He took the ‘cheating’ thing head-on, and called what he did “half-biking”.
It made those arrogant types feel better, since what they did was “proper” biking – and let’s face it there’s a lot of lycra-louts out there whose necks are bigger than their thighs!
He did a 40+km commute when weather permitted, which took him into quite seriously rough traffic at the end. The assist made it all possible.

On the health tech side of things, in anticipation of my folding e-MTB arriving – I’ve just ordered the following:
Wahoo tickr (amazon)
Wahoo rftkt+ (amazon)
Wahoo RPM Speed + Cadence bundle (wahoo website, combi deal. Not the combined SC, it’s older tech and I wanted to stay away from Hall Effect magnet stuff).
A bit expensive, yes – but I consider it an investment in my long term health + commitment to commute sans car/public transport.

I already use Cyclemeter on my iPhone with my non-electric folding MTB, with which I’ve started to commute 30km(135m ascent) per day give hell or high water.
I was using a Fitbit Surge HR for my heartrate, but it never synchronized with Cyclemeter and after a few months of flaky behaviour finally gave up a couple of weeks ago.
Not that I could see my heartrate real-time anyway, since it was on my wrist!

The tickr and rflkt+ will let me see my work levels constantly – so I can keep my heartrate + cadence in whatever zone I want.
This morning for example I was too freekin tired. My 2yr old woke up in the middle of the night and I’ve not recovered. My commute was 7 mins slower than my best according to Cyclemeter. When the e-mtb arrives – I’ll keep more or less the same cycle time, but I just won’t have gotten a workout. Suits me fine!

Same for days when it’s chucking down. Right now it’s a misery knowing not only will I get cold and soaked, but my commute time is 10 mins longer due to the extra effort involved in fighting rain + heavy headwinds. At least with something power assisted it’s compensating for the extra workload.

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
So now I’ve done (what I consider) a decent amount of miles on my electric bike after hitting the 100 mile mark, I thought I would give my honest thoughts and experience using it. There are certainly pros and cons with it, and I hope that these thoughts will help others out there.

Pros
– So the first thing I’ve noticed is just how many miles I’ve covered in 1 month of having the bike. To put this into context, last year in a month I managed to cover little over 50 miles with a regular bike (I was also slightly lighter and less health complications). The miles I have covered so far on the electric bike have been completely trouble and hassle free, and I have cycled a couple of places I have never been on a normal bike for fear of not being able to get up a hill, or get up that never ending uphill gradient.

– During my more active weeks of getting out on the bike, I genuinely felt happier in myself and found that I was much less moody than usual. I suffer with anxiety and depression which can be a real struggle for me at times so feeling happier is more than welcome.

– I enjoy exercise. Ok so this one is debatable as there’s nowhere that I can find just how much exercise I’m getting, but generally my heart rate is between 120 and 150 when using my electric bike so its definitely getting the old ticker pumping but definitely not to the extent a non motorised bike would achieve.

– Cycle from home. For me this is a big one. Previously I had to take my bike 5 miles in a car to get to the cycle track (I still do at times) but now I can just leave the house and get pedalling wherever I want. I do still worry about cycling on the road as drivers really don’t seem to consider cyclists all that much, but I definitely feel more confident cycling on the road with the electric bike; I really do with there was a better cycle infrastructure here though as I now appreciate just how ba

Cons
– Being called a cheater and being asked what the point in cycling with an electric bike is. This one gets really old, really fast. I don’t think people understand just how hard it is to do anything when you weigh 320lbs, but I can assure you, everything is extremely hard, including just a simple walk or climbing the stairs. When I point out to people that it enables me to get light exercise when otherwise I couldn’t get any they tend to understand it a bit more. I’ve also noticed that people think it pedals itself, this seems a misconception that I’d love to see the major bike retailers address.

– On my journeys I’ve noticed an incredible lack of places to securely lock my bike up, I honestly thought this day in age the world would be much more accommodating to cycles, but there really is nowhere to lock it up half of the time which unfortunately prevents me quickly nipping to Tesco express to pick up a few things and instead having to reach for the keys.

– No accurate way to measure calorie burn, I’d love to be proved wrong here, but there’s just no accurate way that it can be measured, I often halve what apps tell me I’ve burnt but this is just a pure guess.

Highlights
– For me, the biggest highlight has to be a group of lycra clad cyclists clearly laughing at me as they past (I really am getting used to this). As they cycled up a rather nasty incline I don’t think they were expecting this lump to attempt cycling up behind them.. But I did.. The group were just silent (though I’m not sure if this is because they were peddling like buggery to get up the hill as I eased up). It felt good, I know I had an incredible advantage over them, but it just felt good!

So in summary, I absolutely love my electric bike, it gets me out and about and u genuinely enjoy it; it allows me to get some light exercise and enjoy the little bit of sun that we get here in Wales. I would strongly suggest getting an electric bike to anyone, I imagine that the fitter you are, the more fun it would be (you’d definitely get a hell of a lot more miles than I do!)

Pros

– Cycle from home. For me this is a big one. Previously I had to take my bike 5 miles in a car to get to the cycle track (I still do at times) but now I can just leave the house and get pedalling wherever I want. I do still worry about cycling on the road as drivers really don’t seem to consider cyclists all that much, but I definitely feel more confident cycling on the road with the electric bike; I really do with there was a better cycle infrastructure here though as I now appreciate just how bad it really is!

Cons

Highlights

Don't worry about the cheater shouters. I've got a few replies for them up my sleeve. Maybe they should be standing at the side of the road shouting at motorbikes as obviously in their mind they are the full fat cheaters right? What rule system is being cheated anyways?

I'm not 320 pounds. I'm quite close to my recommended weight. I ride an electric bike for two main reasons.

1. I like technology and motorised anything

2. I stopped enjoying cycling around Bristol due to the effort required due to the hills and now I'm a cyclist again without most of the bits I didn't like.

Remember. People used to moan at people when they used to use mobile phones. Now virtually everyone has one. They'll get over it.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Today I shall be cheating with the 120 hp engine in my car.
I have a sniffle but still have to work. Tomorrow perhaps it's the bike with the 8fun cheat system. To commute, it seems as if I cheat perminantly.
Unless I go for the bickerton.

D

Deleted member 4366

<rant>
Of course 'assistance' from wearing high tech lycra clothing and riding lightweight carbon fiber bikes etc is not 'cheating' is it!?

And what's 'cheating' about simply getting from A to B or doing it for leisure? Is every bike ride a race? a time trial? a work out?
</rant>
That's a very good point. It's the argument I use when I get involved in any discussions. It's amazing the difference it makes between wearing normal clothes and lycra.

The first thing I normally say back to them is, "who do you think I'm cheating?", then watch the cogwheels in their head start turning while they try and figure out an answer. Then I move on to, "Is it an advantage to use a low resistance bike and clothing?"..... "Is that cheating then?"

Of course those arguments don't work for the guy in normal clothes struggling with his shopping up a steep hill on his cheap MTB.

Reactions: yaffa and SteveRuss