Electric Bike for disabled teenager

frdedee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 18, 2017
France and SE London
Here is Nealh’s reply as received on my email
“Err am I missing something here ?
If the young lady has not much stamina how is she going to pedal a torque drive motor which usually requires a good deal of rider input, surely a cadence drive bike will be far more suitable where she only needs to ghost pedal for the system to work and not have to exert her self as much.”

Hi, I do not understand the terminology and the diference between torque drive and cadence. I have riden the bike as well and to me very little effort is required to get the bike moving and at some speed too. If she or I were to constantly pedal a speed of 15kph is easily achieved, a speed that on my scaffold pole Giant bike is hard to keep with. On the flat she typically pedals then coasts and going up the local small hills is a breeze to.

I would have preferred an mid mounted motor , Bosch, but believe me that they are not available with the comination of seat height and step through.

frdedee

Oct 18, 2017
France and SE London
Ok I have investigated a bit further and the Gazelle balance has what they describe as a rotation sensor. Is that a torque or cadence? I dunno here is a you tube Video from Gazelle,

Rotation sensor = minimal effort and maximum assistance

Certainly a slight touch on the pedal and the assist kicks in to the extent that my daughter , at first, thought the bike was running away from her.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Ok I have investigated a bit further and the Gazelle balance has what they describe as a rotation sensor. Is that a torque or cadence? I dunno here is a you tube Video from Gazelle,

Rotation sensor = minimal effort and maximum assistance

Certainly a slight touch on the pedal and the assist kicks in to the extent that my daughter , at first, thought the bike was running away from her.
That's a cadence sensor, ideal for your daughter. The term cadence refers to the rate of pedal rotation, usually expressed in terms of crank turns per minute.

A torque sensor only delivers motor power in proportion to the pedal effort put in, which of course wouldn't suit her.

Most mid drive units are torque sensored.

frdedee

Oct 18, 2017
France and SE London
That's a cadence sensor, ideal for your daughter. The term cadence refers to the rate of pedal rotation, usually expressed in terms of crank turns per minute.

A torque sensor only delivers motor power in proportion to the pedal effort put in, which of course wouldn't suit her.

Most mid drive units are torque sensored.
Thanks for the confirmation that more by luck than judgment we have ended up with the right system.

Tarka

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2019
Get the right ebike for her and it will be a revelation. Try to test drive a few different ones to see what suits her best, I'm sure she will be really pleased.