Electric Bike for hills?

Martinm

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2007
I've owned 2 electric bikes in the past 4 years a 36v E-Bike from the USA and an Ezee Forza both had eventual battery failures. I would like to give electric bikes one last try and would be grateful for any advice on the best for my requirements.

My main need is for it has to be good at hills as i live on the Isle of Wight and there's hardly any flat roads on my 5 miles route to work !

While the Forza was ok it still struggled up a couple of the hills and eventually started cutting out - with so many new bikes out since i was last looking i have no idea where to start !

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Any of the models with the Panasonic unit are ideal for all hills up to the steepest there is, since the motor as well as the rider drives through the gears. You can just change down for hills as one does on motor vehicles.

They do demand that you share the work though, contributing 50% of the effort in standard mode and 40 to 43% in high power mode, the motor doing the rest, and you have to pedal all the time to get power, no throttle. Therefore you work more on the flat than on the other bikes you've used, but as the hills get steeper, you work less than on those, the gearing making the difference.

Batteries on these are the best and have a two year warranty, easily lasting past two years to date with hardly any range loss so good for much more.

Bikes using the Panasonic unit in the UK are the BH E-motion models from Onbike and the Kalkhoff models from 50cycles.

There's also the nearly identical unit from Yamaha which powers the Gepida bike, though being newer I can't speak of battery longevity yet. Gepida

Last edited:

Andy Grayland

Pedelecer
Apr 9, 2008
Choices and batteries

Hi Martin
If you still have the Forza I would have to say your best and cheapest option would be a new battery. The new batteries have a greater capacity (14Ah as opposed to the older 10Ah). There is also the option of “parallel wiring” the bikes which can give up to 28Ah! Parallel wiring also gives the bike more power on the hills as the battery voltage does not drop as much. It also extends the battery life. There are very few bikes as powerful as the Forza.
The Panasonic system is great up steep hills but is nowhere near as fast as the Forza on moderate hills. This suits some people but not others. My advice as always is to come and try both systems and decide for yourself.
On another note. We supply many different brands of electric bike including Ezee, Wisper, Emotion, Powabyke, Monark etc. So I have no bias for any particular system and I have to say that I don’t think the Panasonic batteries have a much longer life than the other brands we represent. I personally have 2 Panasonic batteries just over 2 years old, they have both done good work but after 2 years they are down to 6 LEDs capacity and are measuring under half capacity. The same is true for my colleague. I have been contacted by other Panasonic users who are finding exactly the same. I do always measure at a similar temperature before anyone asks!
In short from my experience the "modern good Quality” batteries are lasting a similar length of time if used in a similar manner.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have to say that I don’t think the Panasonic batteries have a much longer life than the other brands we represent. I personally have 2 Panasonic batteries just over 2 years old, they have both done good work but after 2 years they are down to 6 LEDs capacity and are measuring under half capacity.
I have to directly disagree with Andy here on the battery life. Apart from anything else, I cannot understand how a 5 LED battery can be down to 6 LEDS at just over two years or at any time. :confused:.

If that are actually showing half capacity, it's abundantly clear they need a full discharge to the fast flashing stage when they'll then show at least 4 LEDS (80% capacity) again at two years old, often 5 LEDs (full capacity).

The same is true for my colleague. I have been contacted by other Panasonic users who are finding exactly the same. I do always measure at a similar temperature before anyone asks!
Our forum members who include very many Panasonic users don't experience this and I've had no such feedback through my Panasonic unit support site.

In short from my experience the "modern good Quality” batteries are lasting a similar length of time if used in a similar manner.
And that's the crunch, the Forza and a Panasonic unit cannot use their batteries in a similar manner. The very powerful Forza motor has a peak power of around double that of the Panasonic unit, hence it's speed, and that markedly increases the amount the battery has to do if its performance is used to the full. Since Martin clearly does use it to the full, his batteries have to work harder than the Panasonic one has to.

How that works out in practice is that some members have reported the new generation eZee 10 Ah battery cutting out by 18 months and the one I've had on test for eZee had it's first cutout at 19 months. No user of one of the new generation Panasonic units has ever reported a single near-end of life cutout, and I've been running the unofficial support site with plenty of feedback for four years now. I've also owned Panasonic equipped bikes for five years and eZee bikes for four years. However I would expect the 14 Ah eZee battery to do better than the 10 Ah one due to the greater capacity, but it's very early days yet for this new battery so there is no proof of that.

Andy is quite right that the Forza is faster overall than the standard Panasonic unit bike witn average journey speeds about 3 mph faster, but as you've said, it isn't measuring up to your hills. The only type that will is the Panasonic or Yamaha type, though as said, at the cost of slower overall speed and more constant input from you. You should of course try out any new type before buying as Andy has said, but that's not easy on the Isle of Wight, you'd need to go to the mainland.

If you use the link below you'll see the Gepida dealer page with two Hampshire locations where it may be convenient for you to try out the Yamaha version of this sort of drive through the gears system. Ring first of course to ensure a demonstrator is available:

Gepida in Hampshire

Last edited:

Martinm

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2007
Thanks for the info guys.......still dont really know which to decide on - new bike or new battery. I still have my Forza although its a little worn now battery gauge and lights dont work anymore but nothing serious.
I am thinking more on the line of replacing the battery though as its a cheaper option and i really cant afford to buy a new bike every two years unless i know its going to last longer ! :)

themutiny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2009
Hi Martin

I would recommend that you go for a new 14ah battery, but also get your Forza dual wired. I have a Torq with dual batteries (one of which, as far as I can tell is the ORIGINAL nimh, and it still holds 8ah). The benefit is well worth the investment. It may be that you can squeeze quite a bit more life out of you r current battery with this arrangement. I do know that I was ready to junk my 2 year old Phylion before I got dual batteries, but now have extended it's useful life.
I'm only just north of Portsmouth, if you want to see/try for yourself, PM me and we'll arrange something?

PS

If your battery really has had it, I could sell you a used one as I really don't need all four now!!

Xcytronex

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2009
Thanks for the info guys.......still dont really know which to decide on - new bike or new battery. I still have my Forza although its a little worn now battery gauge and lights dont work anymore but nothing serious.
I am thinking more on the line of replacing the battery though as its a cheaper option and i really cant afford to buy a new bike every two years unless i know its going to last longer ! :)
Is the battery meter the same type as used on the Ezee Torq-can any one advise on this? Anything touching in there that isn't meant to can cause a host of interesting problems -cutting out etc [especially through power draw]-I have recently replaced my Torq 1 meter due to this.The new 14 A battery is giving me 25 + miles daily [unrestricted]so a good bet for your hungry Forza.

Gepida uk

Pedelecer
May 11, 2009
HI Martinm,
The best bikes available for their hill climbing ability are crank drive systems, we use the Yamaha motor and battery on our Gepida bikes they can cope with hill climbs of a 1 in 3 which is a 33% incline. I know you can get some very good hub motors that are equally as good but may not be able to hold a constant speed. We do have dealers across the country that will be happy for you to demonstrate the bike, where about’s are you?