electric Bike Pusher

neil earley

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 8, 2010
due to spinal problems have to give up riding a bike , so going down the recumbent trike way, looked on web { mostly american} and found a electric bike , trike pusher { sorry didnt do link} they look like a bob yak trailer with an e motor which couples up to the frame of trike and pushes it along!!

Q 1 HAS ANYONE TRIED THEM.
Q2 Love to find out your opinions and if there is a UK Dealer
many thanks Neil

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Two options I know of Neil. The first is Dutch and shown below, the trailer containing the motor and battery with cargo space in the upper half of the shell. This comes in solo bike as well as trike versions. I'm afraid I don't know the maker, but you could try the Dutch Bike Company here in the UK to see if they know:

The second option is the Trailec e-trailer which you can see on this website. Click on the Trailec link at the top right. This drives through the right hand wheel only, using the Currie Electrodrive motor.

I'm not at all sure about the legality of these powered trailers in the UK, since they don't seem to fit into e-bike law. I doubt is one would ever be challenged though.

Last edited:

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
We do have members with trikes so hopefully you will get some good advise. Mine would be to get your trike in the UK. Suppliers I know are in London - Bikefix and Scotland - Kinetics ...
I have a german made HPvelotechnik 2 wheel recumbent and the quality of the bike is very very good. I expect their trikes are equally impressive.

neil earley

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 8, 2010
thank you all for your help I ride a catbike musashi 2 wheel bent { recumbent bike} but sadly struggling to ride it , so time for a trike catrike 700 looks nice and hopefully before Christmas pressy for me. Will try and look into thes e pushers as it seems a good idea

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
The best recumbent trikes anywhere are made by ICE Trikes in Cornwall. It is a small company run by a trike mad workforce.

I sold mine to by a recumbent bike.............we all make BIG mistakes don`t we?

If they have not got it they can find it but I would ask them to build it as their work is second to none.

Steve

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Neil, don't forget the option of having a powerful rear wheel motor in a recumbent trike. Many have these, very often the high torque Heinzmann motor, though the powerful eZee kit motor is also suitable.

These can reduce the range of available gears slightly, but that doesn't usually matter when there's motor assistance. This solution is legal of course, has better traction and is probably more convenient in use.