Electric Bike wins Climate Change Innovation Competition

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Well, I'm glad it's quietened down in here - I was going to come in and spank some backsides...... Ok! Own up! Who just said "Me first, me first!"?

Vikki (scurrying away at a rate of knots). :D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

no:rolleyes: idea about the thread but ME ME ME FIRST !!!!!!!!!

Back to the Original topic of this thread

Right, now that the dust has settled, we can go back to the original topic of this thread - which was to share the news of my company's good fortune and to show that the wider community are getting more accepting of E bikes as alternative transport albeit for short journies.

Please see the attached pictures of the bikes that were entered for the competition.

Attachments

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Good photos Andrew, showing the bike's strength as a load carrier, the pannier boxes clearly illustrating one reason for the large diameter back wheel, and the front batteries and motor balancing the weight distribution.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
its certainly a curious looking machine but if it can shift all that stuff its got to be of at least some use/interest to businesses for deliveries etc.. that it looks unusual could be a positive advantage in fleet use as it would be much harder for someone to nick it (either randoms or as a inside job) and hide it and eventually sell on...

Thanks guys, the bins in the picture are 87 litre capacity ones and as regards theft, yes the unusual styling helps to discourage this. There is also a company developing an RFID (radio frequency identifiers) system that is small enough and cheap enough to fit/ hide onto bicycles for fleet use.
We are hoping to be one of the companies that they will use to trial it. This win has put us in a stronger position for being a candidate, simply for the publicity alone that they will get.

Sorry, for those who don't know, basically a company has developed a tracking system that can be installed / hidden on a bicycle and that works in a similar way to the system used for cars.
If it really does work as they claim, you can just imagine the benefits.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
there have been RFID schemes for bikes for many years but they work more in the way of identifiying the bike after it has been recovered by cops etc (like how a lost cat or dog can be scanned at the vets)

is this a more sophisticated system to constantly monitor the cycle enroute?

there have been RFID schemes for bikes for many years but they work more in the way of identifiying the bike after it has been recovered by cops etc (like how a lost cat or dog can be scanned at the vets)

is this a more sophisticated system to constantly monitor the cycle enroute?
Apparently it is, I cannot go into the technicalities because I do not know too much about how it all works.
What I can tell you, is that it was originally destined to go into bike projects like the Velib system in Paris to counteract theft but as someone has pointed out on this forum ( I think it was Flecc but not sure ) their main problem seems to be vandalism.

I will tell you alot more about the system if we are lucky enough to get chosen.

Pedro62

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 14, 2009
I dont like this bike. It looks really uncomfortable and doesn't look right,
why would anyone want to ride that?

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
Hi

Seems like my kind of size of bike, I will ride one for you round the world if you like if you pay my travel costs

thx

Bob

styx

Pedelecer
Oct 14, 2008
Ludlow Shropshire
Hi

Seems like my kind of size of bike, I will ride one for you round the world if you like if you pay my travel costs

thx

Bob
Hi wot lad .that is a great idea,they could do a tv documentary about it.If you could get a brewery as a sponsor you could fill those big panniers with booze and cheese and onion crisps to keep you going.It would be great to watch you crossing africa dodging all those lions and elephants etc.keep up the posts .
all the best styx

Hi wot lad .that is a great idea,they could do a tv documentary about it.If you could get a brewery as a sponsor you could fill those big panniers with booze and cheese and onion crisps to keep you going. styx
....Spoke to the brewery and they told me that they'll stand you for 'salt and vinegar'crisps but the 'cheese and onion' will cost extra :D

Is it road legal? The weights and dimensions are missing from the website and I can't see how it gets within the weight limit.
...Yes, totally, the electric bike modelled on the website is 35kgs and that includes the two 5.3kg Heinzmann batteries and 5kg Heinzmann motor in the front wheel.
...Feel free to come down and weigh it for yourself :)

The Uk law states that an electric bike must not weigh more than 40kgs to still be classed as a bicycle - there is no stipulation as to how heavy the panniers or bins are, that you fit to it.

As regards the website - the reason the information is not there yet, is because we are still deciding on how best to display it and how much detail to go into and what options to list as standard, standard alternatives or as optional extras:

For example, there are 3 different makes of centre stands that we can choose from and, at the moment, 3 different styles of pannier racks and mudguards and hard pannier bins, and tyres, rear as well as front. All of these groups of items, like for example the 3 different centre stands are of similar quality and price to each other. So, we have to decide on which one will be the default choice - and, anything that we list as alternatives or optional extras, we then have to make sure that we carry stock of.

... So, this then throws down another dilemma as to whether to list the weight of the bike by itself or together with the different options /alternatives mentioned above, or list the items weights seperately. And, whether we display the dimensions and weights in feet, inches, pounds and stones or in metres, centimetres and kilogrammes, or both.

Etc, etc, etc... you get the picture.

soundood

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 26, 2011
London (the nice part)
ok, now not to fan the flames, :)

the bike has no benifit whatsoever in helping backpain, or helping in anyway. says me, if you want to dispute that then this is not the place. you can contact me by PM, and i will list my qualifications, then give you the reason why.

personally i find the bike to look hidious, and I would feel ridiculous riding it, also i dont care what usage its designed for, it doesnt have to be that size.

size=mass=weight, any extra materials used in this bike to take it to its henious size is just excess weight.

as to the trader pushing this bike, good luck, with firstly, selling this bike in its current form, and also trying to sell this bike with your attitude.

from the first page i have read, and from the get go you seem as if you are on the back heel, ready to swing. yes we know you care about it, its your baby and so on, but when you create anything, you must be ready to take constructive critisism. throught this process you will have a better product down the line.

after all we are the people who will recommend this product, whether its based on just looks or a test drive.

we all have opinions, and are allowed to voice them, your secret goal is to get those opionions on side matey.

soundood