Electric Bikes. My Learning curve part 2

petitfilou

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 6, 2013
Stafford
Many contributions to Pedelecs ask for guidance on potential purchases.Whilst most trade contributors
are able to give an an honest assessment of their marque ,some are a little less so .
My lovely BS10 Kalkhoff was returned because it was uninsurable and generally illegal for general on -road use due to its spectacular performance .That said ,my new Kalkhoff Impulse ergo is a smashing piece of kit .
Now for the update and on the job experience .The bike gets out at least once a week for a thirty mile run together with visit to the pub and pool playing.Talking of pool ,I fell off the bike along side the Staffs/Worcester canal and took an unexpected early bath .Happily my beloved pedallo stayed on the bank.I missed out the pub/pool and drip dried at speed on the twelve miles home.Christmas day was traditional with a splendid lunch and some bottled cheer followed by a 40 mile ride as a reward and antidote.Now a message for those who read instructions when all else fails .The setting used for my ride was battery hungry so it expired 2 miles from home . There is a get home setting which controls the electronics which stops the motor drag .In the pitch black is not the time to swot up .Two last points to help .Get some decent tyres with puncture resistance ,this will acquaint you with the added procedure for tyre change on a e bike .Last point you can forget air travel as the battery will be treated by the airline as a hazard they are not prepared to consider .Our club touring trip via Stuttgart this summer
will mean a return to my old Dawes and reality .

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
But surely the company that sold you the BS10 explained that it was illegal for use on roads in the UK?o_O

petitfilou

Nov 6, 2013
Stafford
No , if that had been the case I would not have even considered it .I am 70 not a boy racer or want to be limited to Cannock Chase which would also rule me out .

Last edited:

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
No , if that had been the case I would not have even considered it .I am 70 not a boy racer or want to be limited to Cannock Chase which would also rule me out .
Very strange. We have been assured many times that all customers buying non legal bikes are informed of the legalities!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What happen police will see my trike with BBS01 rider on road uk?
They'll probably laugh! Once finished chuckling they may check it out, but if you have it limited to 15 mph assist as Woosh, the suppliers advise, there should hopefully be no problems.

Reactions: Gh0stxSinghx
is there any chance you could let us know which retailer it was? It would be interesting for us and others I'm sure to learn who isn't passing on this crucial advise.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
is there any chance you could let us know which retailer it was? It would be interesting for us and others I'm sure to learn who isn't passing on this crucial advise.
The one outlet for this brand in the UK does now have this clear warning on the BS10 bike details web page:

"To use this bicycle on a public road the user should first register it, fit a registration plate and then tax and insure it. Registration plate holder can be removed for off-road use."

I believe at one time the website location of the warning was generically positioned for all high speed models so could conceivably be missed when viewing online. Of course face to face sales at their retail outlets are dependent on the salesperson making this limitation absolutely clear.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
There is only one supplier of that bike as Martin said. The bikes are only sold direct they used to have a small dealer network a while back but it collapsed so it is just them selling that brand of bike

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
There is certainly no mention of it on their Ebay listings page. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261386063058?var=560285026051&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

But it does state it very clearly on the website page for the BS10 http://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/endeavour-sport-fast/endeavour_bs10_400wh

It couldn't be clearer, although it should indicate what is actually involved in registering it.

To use this bicycle on a public road the user should first register it, fit a registration plate and then tax and insure it. Registration plate holder can be removed for off-road use.

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
it should indicate what is actually involved in registering it.
Suppose it might if the retailer - or anyone - knew what is involved in registering a de-restricted bike.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Suppose it might if the retailer - or anyone - knew what is involved in registering a de-restricted bike.

After reading the previous Kalkoff threads, I did think that as I posted the above.
Really 50C should offer this service to people wishing to register the bikes. Obviously if this was both easy and or possible, then they would be, which kind of sums up that it isn't.

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
AFAIK, (and I'm sure flecc will have the definitive answer), there is no category of motor vehicle in the UK equivalent to the German speed pedelec. You would have to modify it to such an extent that it would become a moped, with all the restrictions associated with them.

D

Deleted member 4366

You can't register a BS10. We've been through all that before. Therefore you can't ride it with tax and insurance.

petitfilou

Nov 6, 2013
Stafford
You can't register a BS10. We've been through all that before. Therefore you can't ride it with tax and insurance.
Just a further bit of detail .Insurance for the bike is not competively available as most companies preclude any bike whose assisted speed is in excess of 15mph. Would you like your trip to include the wearing of a full motorcycle helmet ,also a requirement .Plus exclusion from off road Sustrans bike routes in addition to public roads .