Electric Cargo Bikes

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Fedex and Amazon are using these vehicles for deliveries in UK. I haven't see them yet. My tiny last delivery came in a massive truck.

I was looking at that "250w" quadricycle van thing that can carry 150kg with its "250w" motor, plus the weight of the vehicle and rider. I'm guessing that means up hills too. It just goes to show that what I was saying about the 250w law is correct, that there is no limit to how much power your "250w" motor can make.

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
How much does that van with a "60 amp-hour battery" weigh? + 150kg cargo.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Reported

• Agree
Reactions: lenny

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
How much does that van with a "60 amp-hour battery" weigh? + 150kg cargo.
I estimate that the van would be about 100kg, the driver in the picture is about 85kg and the load is up to 125kg, so 310kg overall, which is about three times as much as an electric bike, so needs three times the power.

I know of pedicabs in London that are similar in size and weight. Their "250w" motors seem to be identical to one with a 3500w label that I've seen elsewhere.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My little Bafang G370 front hub is 250w and can tow a 100kg payload load.
My Rodrat is likely approx. 22kg, me fully clothed 87kg, modded trailer 12kg, so over 200kg in all.
The max I have towed is approx. 127 - 130kg, I under estimated how much 6 x 50/60L bags of compost/manure weighed and have to admit the poor old bike did struggle a little , under 100kg payload and it is fine.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Last edited:

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Fedex and Amazon are using these vehicles for deliveries in UK. I haven't see them yet. My tiny last delivery came in a massive truck.
There was an Amazon one rolling around here a while back... but now all I see are electric Sprinters. My guess is they're too small for the number/size of packages needed to make a delivery route viable... at least here (3 miles from the nearest Amazon warehouse).

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
They are suited to large towns or cities where the criteria is focused on very local hubs /depots for deliveries , the main issue being how far the loading depot is from the delivery area and the roads used to get form A2B.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They are suited to large towns or cities where the criteria is focused on very local hubs /depots for deliveries , the main issue being how far the loading depot is from the delivery area and the roads used to get form A2B.
Often not even then though. As Cyclebuddy says, the number of deliveries can far exceed these light vehicles.

With a depot in this London Borough of Croydon, the DPD daily round on the two side by side Croydon estates where I live is served by a long wheelbase high roof van typically carrying over 130 deliveries each day, but covering hardly any mileage.

I can typically see the driver is only two miles away before 10am yet still has over 90 deliveries before reaching me in the mid to late afternoon.

Amazon here did switch to electric Sprinters for a while but have gone back to the i.c vans.