Electric Folding Bike

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There have been a number of bikes like this one on ebay at different times, all using the same "parts bin" components so not much to choose between them.

I don't know this one, but I always look to see if there's an obvious snag, and in this case it's the rear brake which they say is a drum one.

It won't be the sort of drum brake normally on bikes and older cars, but a type called a band brake, popular some while ago on cheap Chinese e-bikes. They are rather horrible things which have a steel band around a steel drum on the side of the motor, and when the brake cable pulls the upper loose end of the band, it self wraps around the drum to stop it rotating.

Obviously it only works in a forward direction which doesn't matter, but the snag is that the steel on steel contact can squeal loudly, especially as wear and dirt set in. Oiling to stop the squeal wont work of course since that makes the braking action slip.

sammy06forever

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2009
Thanks Flecc for your reply i saw one of these advertised but it didnt get any bids so i thought i had better ask before buying one