Electric kit for Helios Tandem?

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
The stoker would always have to pedal. The front ring and cranks are not synced so you would lose sync.
The software is adjustable and can provide greater oomph.

timw

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 16, 2016
Oxford
Losing pedal sync would be strange, I imagine. We had the cranks a few degrees off alignment once, and it felt a lot better when we put them right and our power input was back in sync.

It might also feel odd for the rear rider when the motor run on for a few moments when the front rider stops pedalling.

By the way there is no eccentric bottom bracket on this bike, so that isn't an issue. There is a small idler on the chain between the riders for chain tensioning instead.

Maybe crank drive isn't workable and I'll be forced to stick to hub motors.

timw

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 16, 2016
Oxford
There have been a few votes for a rear hub motor - what is the difference between a front hub versus the rear hub motor in practise? And would a rear hub motor require changes to the gearing of the bike? At the moment there is an 8 speed cassette on the back wheel.

Thanks,
Tim

C

Cyclezee

There have been a few votes for a rear hub motor - what is the difference between a front hub versus the rear hub motor in practise? And would a rear hub motor require changes to the gearing of the bike? At the moment there is an 8 speed cassette on the back wheel.

Thanks,
Tim
The issue of traction is not an important consideration on a tandem with 20" wheels, the weight of machine and riders help overcome any front wheel slippage that might occur due to wheel spin.
With the eZee or Heinzmann systems you you can use your existing 8 speed cassette if you opt for a rear motor.
Front wheel installation is marginally easier and if downtube battery is chosen wiring is shorter.
To go for front or rear hub motor really comes down to personal preference.

Another system that I haven't mentioned is the Ansmann RM7.0 which like the Heinzmann is direct drive, but has wireless communication the least number of component parts, but at £1595 with the 16Ah battery is the most expensive that we offer.

Ansmann RM7.0 rear wheel conversion kit​
5074978_orig.jpg

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
There have been a few votes for a rear hub motor - what is the difference between a front hub versus the rear hub motor in practise? And would a rear hub motor require changes to the gearing of the bike?
Handling - don't like the weight in the front wheel, others don't mind.

You can gear higher because you have a motor helping you.