electric scooter/skateboard laws

Edward Elizabeth

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
Buckinghamshire
Yes, it is still very much legal as of 2021.

Even worse, because a lot are driven by convicted drink drivers with no licence (the rest is either kids or the elderly) they are also often driven without insurance because no insurer will touch a convicted drink driver who is serving a ban. The problem is mainly confined rural areas, but that encompasses quite a lot of the country.

Now, I think it's quite right and proper that they clamp down on illegal e scooter use, but it seems mad that they then let people with no licence - hences, sans permis - drive a car, even if it is a small one.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, it is still very much legal as of 2021.

Even worse, because a lot are driven by convicted drink drivers with no licence (the rest is either kids or the elderly) they are also often driven without insurance because no insurer will touch a convicted drink driver who is serving a ban. The problem is mainly confined rural areas, but that encompasses quite a lot of the country.

Now, I think it's quite right and proper that they clamp down on illegal e scooter use, but it seems mad that they then let people with no licence - hences, sans permis - drive a car, even if it is a small one.
Thank you, I agree.

We do have a kind of parallel here, albeit with a little less potential for harm. Many losing their licences here adopt an e-bike and as you might expect from law breakers, often dongled or otherwise converted to achieve S-Bike / Moped speeds, 45kph / 28 mph. We've had a number of these as active members and I particularly remember one who sold his e-bike the moment his driving ban finished. He'd been very open about his intention to continue travelling at motor vehicle speeds despite his ban.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
  • Informative

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The wife was watching some review videos of the Citroen Ami the other day
That's a great little town car, but I don't know if these drunk drivers can use it. I understood that this French car class was restricted to 4.5 kW power, but the Ami is 6 kW. So I don't know if Citroen are being canny in avoiding controversy or whether that law had changed.

Citroen Ami Link

montwo

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2019
I'm not up on the intricacies of the French regs but if you stick 'permis citroen ami' into google you get a ton of links in French (including from citroen) saying you don't need one.
The ami is being marketed as a safer alternative to a moped for 14 year olds.
edit: I'd quite like one. It would make a great 'work / shopping car'

montwo

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2019
I understood that this French car class was restricted to 4.5 kW power, but the Ami is 6 kW.
Just had a look, the regs changed in 2013. It used to be 4KW (?) in France, the 6KW is an eu-wide thing.
The ami looks a lot more fun (poky) than a 50cc quadricycle.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Just had a look, the regs changed in 2013. It used to be 4KW (?) in France, the 6KW is an eu-wide thing.
The ami looks a lot more fun (poky) than a 50cc quadricycle.
Thank you, that explains it.

I'd like an Ami as well as my Nissan Leaf e-car, or even instead of later, but for two things. I've nowhere to charge it, the Nissan being in the garage with the charge point.

And our 30 mph limited through roads are routinely driven at 40 mph by traffic, including police and buses, so the aggro under 28 mph would cause would be difficult to live with. That's particularly so since I'm in the hilly North Downs where the Ami would mimic a milk float when climbing.

montwo

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2019
I can see that. It's fairly flat here (Leicestershire) so maybe not too bad. A Twizy might be better but only if it never rained.
The price tag of the Ami is a big part of the attraction, for me at least. People spend more on bicycles!

• Agree

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
That's a great little town car, but I don't know if these drunk drivers can use it. I understood that this French car class was restricted to 4.5 kW power, but the Ami is 6 kW. So I don't know if Citroen are being canny in avoiding controversy or whether that law had changed.

Citroen Ami Link
5.5 kWh – 43 miles range.
So can you pedal harder to increase the range?:p

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
5.5 kWh – 43 miles range.
So can you pedal harder to increase the range?:p
Wouldn't want to. True range in summer 35 miles, in winter as low as 24 miles,

So what, almost every town dweller's supermarket, other shops, takeaways, post office, library, school to drop off a kid, recycling depot are within those ranges.

I've left out bank since with present trends we'll soon need to take our passport and a flight to reach the nearest branch.