Electric Transport Shop - Cashing In

SEATALTEA

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2008
There's a thread about The Electric Transport Shop being featured on Working Lunch today with the Synergie Mistral featured amongst others.

I've been in contact with them recently and they seem a decent bunch, as a result five of us at work applied for £600 cycle2work vouchers (due next week) with a view to getting Mistrals. It's been priced at £599 for ages and was on the site yesterday at that price when employee No5 completed his application and I signed it up as a manager.

It seems that with a view to cashing in they've put the price up by £100, not only are we priced out of the Mistral but they have just lost our business as we have to buy through Halfords and they deal with Electric Transport Shop.

We're gutted to say the least and feel betrayed as potential ebikers.

Any suggestions that will help bring us back on track for £600 bikes would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
Are you sure that they are not just applying a surcharge because of the costs of your Cycle2work scheme ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The one that springs to mind immediately is Powacycle. Their Salisbury LPX (gents) and Windsor LPX (ladies) are both at £599. They can be bought direct or from a range of dealers:

Powacycle

If a surcharge is behind that increase this may not help of course.

Last edited:

SEATALTEA

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2008
Are you sure that they are not just applying a surcharge because of the costs of your Cycle2work scheme ?
No it's a change to the website price so if someone was paying cash they'd be paying £100 more, quite unconnected to the scheme.

It's funny but certain 'industries' attract stereotypes, estate agents, double glazing salesman etc maybe it's me but I would imagine small bike shops could be considered 'wholesome' and pretty low down the list when it comes to profiteering.

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Disappointing I realise, but you can't deny them the right to put their prices up from time to time, as other companies do and as other electric bike sellers do. If they have had it at £600 'for ages' then it was bound to go up at some time. Unlucky it was just before you put your order in.

Have you explained to them your situation and asked them if they will give you the old price? If there are a few of you wanting the bikes, I would have thought they would be willing to negotiate a volume discount. Got to be worth a try!

If not, as Flecc points out, Powacycles are about the best value for money going in the e-bike world.

SEATALTEA

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2008
frank I've emailed them and expressed my disappointment but I'm a cynic and the price rise is linked to the TV as sure as eggs is eggs

The Salisibury was my second choice, it's not quite as 'stylish' and the battery is 26v 10.5ah rather than 36v 10ah not being a techie what would the impact of this change be on the behaviour of the motor.

oldosc

Pedelecer
May 12, 2008
Disappointing I realise, but you can't deny them the right to put their prices up from time to time, as other companies do and as other electric bike sellers do. If they have had it at £600 'for ages' then it was bound to go up at some time. Unlucky it was just before you put your order in.

Have you explained to them your situation and asked them if they will give you the old price? If there are a few of you wanting the bikes, I would have thought they would be willing to negotiate a volume discount. Got to be worth a try!

If not, as Flecc points out, Powacycles are about the best value for money going in the e-bike world.
Good point...but £100 in £600, that's quite a hike...I've had a few turns at being a capitilist pig(sic) but only ever raised my prices about 5% at a time otherwise the horse did bolt.

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
But they're entitled to put their prices up by whatever they think the market will stand! If they invest in marketing, whether it is spending money on adverts or putting the time in to get on TV, you can't deny them a payback.

I remember when good old 50 Cycles launched the Ezee Liv at not much more than £500 and, it gradually drifted its way up to nearly £900 over a few months. Compared to other electric bikes, I'd have to say that the Mistral still seems reasonable value at £700. Of course the market is king and if they don't sell any at that price, they will have made a mistake.

Have other sellers of the Mistral put up their prices, I wonder?

SEATALTEA

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2008
Well if they don't have a rethink some sales will head to Powacycle and a couple of chaps I've just been speaking with are now thinking about applying again and going with the Urbanmover UM36.

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Urbanmovers look nice and are well marketed but most people on the forum who have had them have got rid of them and both of the two dealers whom I have spoken to who used to deal with them no longer do so, and are unlikely to do so again!

You'll find many satisfied customers of Powacycle (including me - from the Electric Transport Shop, as it happens!).

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well if they don't have a rethink some sales will head to Powacycle and a couple of chaps I've just been speaking with are now thinking about applying again and going with the Urbanmover UM36.
Urban Mover support has a poor reputation, often non-existent for dealers as well as customers, may posting their extreme dissatisfaction in this forum.

SEATALTEA

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2008
Synergie Mistrals on Ebay are still at £499 + £20 delivery.

Thats why I think that profiteering is the motive.

Flecc, noted re the Urbanmover feedback I'll pass that on.

Having had a look at the Powacycle website they do seem a large, stable company with a decent reputation and they seem to have some v modern well considered bikes in the pipeline.

Can anyone comment on the 26v 10.5ah vs 36v 10ah spec.

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
I think you mean 'profit', Seatltea, rather than 'profiteering'! Have you never had a pay rise yourself? Hardly seems fair to say that people who sell electric bikes are not entitled to have one, if the market will stand it.

Early Synergie bikes had some patchy feedback but the Mistral has had some strong reviews recently on this site, which supports the case for a price rise. Do you think they are overpriced at £700 compared to the altrnatives? Which bike available from a recognised seller with a retail outlet or established web presence is better value?

£520 from an eBay seller is certainly a bargain, but many people would pay a premium for the back up that you get from a shop with a high street presence.

Sorry to push back on your protests Sealta, but I do think you are being a little harsh, through disappointment. But if I were you I would pick up the phone and see what you can negotiate for 5 bikes. Offer £600 and ask for some extras thrown in...! Remember a list price is just a starting point for negotiation, not something set in stone, and you are offering significant volume so should get a better deal than someone wanting a single bike.

rooel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
We were fortunate enough to purchase three Mistrals a few months ago at the make-me-an-offer ebay price of £399 each and avoided the £50 carriage charge by making three 32 mile return journeys to Inverkeithing to collect them. There are no demonstration facilities there and the bikes are handed out in their sealed boxes just as they left China. At that time I saw that the Electric Transport Shop were advertising them at £599 each, but on close examination of their website noted that there was a £25 delivery charge, and that the bike would be sent in its box unassembled i.e. no different from the way they are sent out from Inverkeithing.

Now the Inverkeithing price is fixed at £499 plus £20 carriage, and the Electric Transport price is £699 with free delivery, but still unassembled.

It seems to me therefore that a purchase from the latter would be advisable only if made in person from the shop, if a demonstrator is available (one was shown on the BBC Working Lunch programme), and the purchaser thinks it is worthwhile paying £179 extra for these facilities.

I think it is certainly preferable with a large heavy item like an electric bike to try and collect it locally, not only avoiding delivery charges, but the possible, very much higher charge to return a defective bike. An individual sending back a Mistral will find that the carriage charge is very much higher (perhaps £70) than it costs the distributor to send it out, as the latter will have a contract with a courier.

Electric Transport Shop may,if they continue to expand their branch network, soon be able to provide personal delivery to a larger section of the population, but if BBC London's report of across the "country" carries its usual meaning it will be England only, and in Scotland we will have to find our own local distributors, eg Synergie at Inverkeithing, or Electric cycles, electric bikes, available from the Electric Cycle Company in Edinburgh, Scotland

halfmedley

Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2007
Synergie Mistrals on eBay are still at £499 + £20 delivery.
When I bought my Mistral back in Jan 2007, the price was £499 eBay back then, however I was fortunate to get it for £399 during a January sale/promotion. January is a good time to buy a bike I think! Not that that is any consolation to you.

However, what may be of interest is that I didn't buy it via eBay, I just did the whole transaction over the phone directly with Synergie in Scotland, yet the eBay price still stood.

Furthermore the bike arrived promptly (it needed a little assembly), and as for support the only thing that has packed up on it (ignoring the cheap dynamo it came with) was the charger and Synergie sent me a replacement in the post.

robert44

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2008
BS23
Postage Costs

I think it is certainly preferable with a large heavy item like an electric bike to try and collect it locally, not only avoiding delivery charges, but the possible, very much higher charge to return a defective bike. An individual sending back a Mistral will find that the carriage charge is very much higher (perhaps £70) than it costs the distributor to send it out, as the latter will have a contract with a courier.
Not necessarily so. Under the Sale of Goods Act, there is a guarantee period within which the buyer is entitled to all defect repair costs including postage.

Kal

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2008
I Purchase my Synergie Mistral in March 2008. I paid £450 including delivery off eBay. However, I think they are still good value at £519 inc.

As halfmedley points out.. the dynamo is rubbish, but apart from than that I think they are great electric bikes. Maybe I'm lucky but I've now done 800 miles without any trouble at all.

Jimblob

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2007
To set the record straight, Synergie have put their trade prices up by quite a lot more than we have increased our retail price by. We are absorbing some of the increase ourselves but there is only so much we can do (we also cover the shipping cost and the cycle to work scheme providers, when used, also take a huge chunk).

I accept that the bikes can be bought cheaper elsewhere sometimes. We are not running from an anonymous warehouse, we have trained staff and repair workshops which we use to keep you on the road if a problem arises.

The Synergie is a great bike, however the Salisbury is lighter and more nimble to ride. Nothing touches the Wisper 905se though!

rooel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
I was not aware of that provision in the Sale of Goods Act. Perhaps someone can identify it.

With regard to simple change of mind rather than a defective item, it is the Distance Selling Regulations which apply. Here is what Synergie Inverkeithing say in their eBay listings: We work in line with this requirement which provides you with the right to return the item to us up to the end of the 7th working day following the day after you received the item. We do not need a reason for cancellation but the item MUST not have been assembled or used and MUST be returned in “As New” condition and in its original packaging. You must notify us in writing that you wish to cancel but do not have to give a reason although this would be useful.

You will also be responsible for the costs of shipping the item back to us and we recommend that you use an insured service. However, once we have received and inspected the item, we will immediately return your original payment for the item itself but not the cost of shipping it to you. Please note that transportation is a separate contract and has nothing to do with the item purchase price. Indeed, you may collect the item free of charge or may organise your own courier.

As that is the policy of most internet sellers I suspect the regulations may either permit it or are too vague to prohibit it.

Whether such a policy could be adopted with regard to refunds for returned defective items will depend on the provisions of the Sale of Goods Acts, if they do indeed apply to such transactions.