Electrifying a Di Blasi Trike conversion

Orraman

Pedelecer
May 4, 2008
Searching on Google for electrifying information on the Di Blasi folding trike and I found myself back on this forum and a most interesting write-up on converting an R32 to electric power.
I had considered this myself as a possible way of arranging for a lower cost class 3 invalid carriage with the potential of getting some needed exercise.

I would like to thank TwoBikes for providing this information in such a clear form and would ask that he would provide more information on the capabilities and functionality of this conversion.

Dave

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/blogs/twobikes/20-how-i-motorised-di-blasi-r32-tricycle.html

Video of a braw bonnie lass.
YouTube - ‪Di Blasi Folding Tricycle‬‏

TwoBikes

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2011
Sorry, I seem to be having problems replying. Thanks for the kind words. I'll gladly answer any questions. Meanwhile, if my earlier posts don't appear, I'll re-post later.

TwoBikes

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2011
In answer to flecc's question, there is a parts price list hidden on the web site of the official Di Blasi importer for Germany. The list is in a mixture of Italian, English and German, and is a little confusing in places, but it is possible to identify 16 parts that are exclusively for the R34 (which is the motorised version of the R32). The prices total to 1,895 euros, including the Li-Po battery. There is also an entry in the list that seems to be an "everything for the R34" item, with a price of 2,172 euros. The current list price for a complete R34 in the UK is 2,516 euros, and for the unmotorised R32 is 1,632 euros, so - to use a well-worn phrase - I don't think it adds up.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I thought that might possibly be the case, building from spares lists is often expensive and Italy is often an expensive source anyway.

C

Cyclezee

I am fairly certain that a 20 inch front wheel eZee kit would work well with a Di Blasi Trike. I can't find the width of the front drop-outs, but I would guess that they are 100mm?

TwoBikes

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2011
I think the starting point for anyone considering this project - as it was for me - is a second-hand R32. These sometimes come up on eBay for a few hundred pounds. I paid £600 for one in near mint condition (although I rejected another one at £800 that was in appalling condition). If you then spend £220 on the Cyclone kit from the UK importer, plus another £100 on various bits and pieces and tools, and if you can re-use an existing battery or use cheap lead-acid, you get a quasi-R34 for under £1000. I admit that's still not cheap, but if you have a particular need for an electric trike that folds down really small, it's a reasonable option.

TwoBikes

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2011
To Cyclezee - I'm afraid the front fork drop-outs are a mere 40mm apart! The front wheel has to be very slim because in the folded position it rests between the two halves of the split frame.

C

Cyclezee

Hi TwoBikes,

Wow, that is narrow and rules out a front hub motor.

Orraman

Pedelecer
May 4, 2008
TwoBikes,
Thank you for the information you have posted.

Have you had it long enough to make an assessment of it's comfort, range and hill climbing ability?
Do you have any problems due to it driving with only one wheel?

The one I had fancied was the older R31, 16 inch wheel version but I dithered too long.

Dave

Folding Trike DI BLASI Mod. R31:

TwoBikes

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2011
I'm able to compare it to another electric trike that we have, a Mission Space Genie 20 Sparticle.

On our regular trip to the cafe, which is 4 miles each way, the two trikes give very much the same performance. There is one short, steep hill and one long, shallow hill on the way. However, I haven't tried the Di Blasi on one of the killer hills around here - those that have caused my electric two-wheeler to give up in the past. I'll do so and let you know what happens!

I'm happy with the range we're getting with two lead-acid bricks. At the end of the cafe run, all lights are still showing on the meter. The bricks then need about an hour for the charger to go from "charging" to "trickle". Obviously, another (better?) battery pack will give different results, but I don't think the motor is overly demanding of power.

As for comfort, I'm reliably informed that, compared to the luxury seat on the Mission, the Di Blasi's seat is good enough for one round trip to the cafe and absolutely no further.

The driving on one wheel thing is unnoticeable. The Mission does the same. It appears that only top-spec trikes drive on two wheels - you need a differential, or two sets of gears, on a trike that does that, otherwise they are difficult to steer around bends.

Hope this helps.

Morag

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2010
Shropshire
Are there folks out there that do the conversion on the vehicle for you? (asking for hopefully near future)

Orraman

Pedelecer
May 4, 2008
TwoBikes,
Thank you for all the first hand information you have provided, it is very much appreciated.

Cycling is becoming a little more difficult even with all the advantages of the Panasonic motor system and there are now times that an overriding (get me home) throttle would be welcome.

Some exercise is essential and your work on the R32 shows the way I could go.

Dave

mr-motorvator

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 30, 2007
Searching on Google for electrifying information on the Di Blasi folding trike and I found myself back on this forum and a most interesting write-up on converting an R32 to electric power.
I had considered this myself as a possible way of arranging for a lower cost class 3 invalid carriage with the potential of getting some needed exercise.

I would like to thank TwoBikes for providing this information in such a clear form and would ask that he would provide more information on the capabilities and functionality of this conversion.

Dave

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/blogs/twobikes/20-how-i-motorised-di-blasi-r32-tricycle.html

Video of a braw bonnie lass.
YouTube - ‪Di Blasi Folding Tricycle‬‏
I am working on a conversion for the R32 to make it electric assist with pedal and throttle control. I think the Di Blasi system is based upon a Cyclone system (www.cyclone-uk.com). It is probably a 24V 250W motor with an internal controller. If the original wiring is used then a Cyclone twist or thumb control should fir, for a lot less than £130!

The Cyclone systems are a bit heavy and noisy, so mine is based on a hub motor that drives a cog: http://mr-motorvator.co.uk/pronto/pronto.asp. This page needs updating, but I have posted a photo of the prototype. It is a bolt on system at the moment but I am working on raising the motor by 2-3 cm. It runs at 36V drawing 16A peak.

Attachments