Eligible Electric Bike Manufacturers and Suppliers Should Have 8 Features

jessejin

Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2019
www.fwheel.cc
The Gallego has Bafang geared hub motor which has clutch and is much better at climbing hills, larger16" wheels, 3-speed Shimano hub gear and it folds properly.
It's a great burden powering big wheels compared to small wheels.
As you can see, most Chinese e scooters or e bikes manufacturers choose small wheels for their pure electric vehicle, it's reasonable and it saves bike electricity when running.1553079756079.png
Pure electricity powered scooter from Yadea, one of the most famous e scooter manufacturer from China​
Do I need to re-emphasize that my bike is mainly powered by electricity?
It looks like you're forcing a swimming champion Michael Phelps to battle with the football star Lionel Messi.

Last edited:

jessejin

Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2019
www.fwheel.cc
I agree, my knees were hurting just looking at it.
Maybe it has a place if you live in a tenth floor flat and need to only get two miles to work. Beyond that, the seating position makes it muscle ache waiting to happen.
But hang on, it's got a throttle which, in the video is the main means of getting the drive on. Isn't that illegal throughout Europe and with an uncertain position in Britain?
Can't see it having much of a market beyond being a hire bike to prat about along the sea front promenade etc.
Hey, your knees are hurting because you didn't twist the throttle. However, I have to admit that UK law is not friendly with DYU.
But it doesn't matter, there is a big market in France, Italy, Spain, Sweden, Poland, Germany, Netherlands etc. And we've successfully exported over 50,000 DYUs to USA, Singapore & Thailand ect. In a word, it's charming. And a USA sharing scooter company is talking with us on the e scooter share project like Lime & Bird.

Reactions: Jaundice

Jaundice

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2018
Since you know nothing of us it seems such an opinion is very narrow minded.

Of my two most recent pedelecs, the one I've used the most by far is the small wheel folding one, using it for pleasure riding, towing, shopping, goods carrying etc, so no narrow world view here.

And that's the difference, it's a really practical small pedelec that's a pleasure to use in so many ways. This DYU mini-moped doesn't get close.
Ridden one?

Reactions: jessejin

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's a great burden powering big wheels compared to small wheels.
As you can see, most Chinese e scooters or e bikes manufacturers choose small wheels for their pure electric vehicle, it's reasonable and it saves bike electricity when running.
This is the reverse of the truth. The fat tyred small wheels on e-scooters are merely a continuation of them from petrol scooters, in all cases for compactness and continuing that style. And with petrol machines, the lowest powered one like the famous Honda C50, C70 and C90 machines all used larger wheels to make better use of the limited power. Image link

Why do you think race bicycles also use large diameter wheels with very thin tyres? It's because being more efficient they make better use of the rider energy.

Jaundice

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2018
But it doesn't matter, there is a big market in France, Italy, Spain, Sweden, Poland, Germany, Netherlands etc. And we've successfully exported over 50,000 DYUs to USA, Singapore & Thailand ect. In a word, it's charming. And a USA sharing scooter company is talking with us on the e scooter share project like Lime & Bird.
So, destined for large volumes then, despite what people said on here....

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hey, what if someone hurt his knees, doesn't wish to get sweaty, having constant short trips but doesn't want to pedal or take a taxi?
Use a moped of course, you Chinese have been doing it for years and so have we. The main reason for choosing a pedelec instead of a moped is because some of us WANT to cycle using pedals, for exercise and enjoyment.

Of course your DYU is a mini-moped, so it could be useful for short trips of a couple of miles or so, but please stop trying to convince anyone that it is a serious pedelec that we could use for the pedelecing that most of us do. It isn't, which is why some of us have called it a toy.

Jaundice

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2018
I've tried several very small wheeled machines similiar to yours and disliked them all. They are all off the market now for good reasons.
Not mine, I don't want one of these, the wheels are too small for me, my commute is 12 miles and the roads are terrible. I'm also 6'4". My Gtech is an excellent bike for my needs (despite what people have said on here)...

That said, I can see a huge potential market for them if they come in at the right price. Look how many appollo bikes are out there.....

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So, destined for large volumes then, despite what people said on here....
Relevance?

We are commenting for Europe, Jessejin quoted 50,000 DYUs to USA, Singapore & Thailand and none of us are arguing with that.

This claim, "there is a big market in France, Italy, Spain, Sweden, Poland, Germany, Netherlands etc. " and for our UK market is what we are are arguing about. One only needs very limited knowledge of the pedelec market in these countries to know that any sales for the DYU will be very limited. It won't help that it has a throttle which is illegal on a pedelec in all those countries.

I'd suggest Jessejin tries some of their forums to see what reactions are received there as well, there will be enough English speakers in them to understand and comment:

http://www.velomobilforum.de/forum/ German

http://cyclurba.fr/ French

http://e.bike.free.fr/forum/ French

http://www.jobike.it/forum/default.asp Italian

http://www.elektrischefietsen.com Dutch

Last edited:

Jaundice

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2018
Again where is the relevance, Apollo Bikes are big wheeled and totally different.
Relevance is:

Just because you lot don't like it (see the Gtech thread), doesn't mean it won't sell.

Just because its cheap badly designed rubbish (see the number of Appllo BSO's in the country), doesn't mean it won't sell.

In my opinion (and lets face it, its just opinion on this thread), these will sell and do well if priced low enough at POS. If these were £300-400 they will sell buckets of them...

I can think of loads of situations where these would be excellent:
Holiday parks
Huge factory layouts
Commuting short distances in Norfolk

My original point was that there is a lot of talking down on this forum of anything that doesn't fit in with a few individuals views of what a Pedelec is. You lot need to be a bit more open minded. You're berating this machine based on a few pictures on the internet, you've never seen one in the metal yet you're predicting its instant demise. I'd suggest that 50,000 units shipped, its already pretty successful, and if they hit the £300 mark (unlikely I know), I'd probably buy one myself.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
In my opinion (and lets face it, its just opinion on this thread), these will sell and do well if priced low enough at POS. If these were £300-400 they will sell buckets of them...
they can't get the street price down to that level, even if they assemble in Cambodia. There is only a tiny saving on producing something like the DYU compared to some small 20" folding e-bikes that you find in supermarkets or like this one from Halfords:

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/electric-bikes/assist-hybrid-electric-bike-20-wheel

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You're berating this machine based on a few pictures on the internet, you've never seen one in the metal yet you're predicting its instant demise. I'd suggest that 50,000 units shipped, its already pretty successful, and if they hit the £300 mark (unlikely I know), I'd probably buy one myself.
1) I haven't predicted its instant demise or even said it won't sell. What I have said is that it isn't the improved pedelec that will take over the market that Jessejin seems to think it is. It's a greatly reduced capability one that will have very limited acceptance.

2) As I said 50,000 shipped to USA, Singapore & Thailand etc is meaningless in terms of the EU/UK market we're discussing, so why raise it again? With over 300 millions population in the USA alone there are more than enough well to do Americans alone to buy 50,000 for their kids to play with in their wide open spaces.

3) And as you've acknowledged and Woosh has enumerated, it won't retail at anything like £300, it will be on the threshhold of existing more capable pedelec models from Woosh and Kudos, those starting from below £600.

But as I've posted, why doesn't Jessejin just send them here instead of wasting time arguing with us, if DYU are so certain these bikes are brilliant. And if Jessejin uses the links I gave to the other European pedelec forums, the views received there will probably reinforce what we've posted.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Not forgetting anti dumping will be added for EU bound sales/imports.

jessejin

Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2019
www.fwheel.cc
"The rider for the bike was far too tall to extend his legs to assert proportional leg power."
It's ok to extend legs but doesn't require too much pedaling, DYU bike is more resembling a scooter. And I have concluded the merits of DYU over scooter in another article.
Look, Europeans are suitable for it, they can just place foot on it or choose the model with pedal and pedal a little.

Attachments

jessejin

Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2019
www.fwheel.cc
For Europes market it will be perceived as a gimmick/toy, one for the children which is illegal.
This is not a serious contender to upset or make headway in to existing market sales as an everyday use bike, as a fun bike it might have some merits but no more than that.
DYU bike is a lot more than a gimmick/toy under it's cute appearance. It's safer than hoverboard. it's bigger than toy cars, it's efficient taking people around in short trips, it's stylish and loved by teenagers, it's better than e scooters, it's a creative e bike. it's a great tour & commuting tool taking people around without getting sweaty......