eMTB owners photo and ride thread.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I am trying to work out which part of your body you broke there?

It does look like you have an Alien about to burst out.

That was my elbow.

SW, I've seen people wearing the same as that, but for my use, it makes sense to compromise and have something more trail friendly and comfortable.

I always used Dainese protection when I raced motorcycles and couldn't fault the make for both comfort and fit.

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
mine is all hard armour tho ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
tho was out on ride just now and got 35mph going down hill on the road round a rescue truck.

in shorts and tshirt :rolleyes:

mab13

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2015
Peak District
Thought I'd be riding in the rain today, but I'm pleased to say it cleared up for my afternoon ride.

Very pleased indeed with the Levo - it felt incredibly solid and is so well balanced, and I'm definitely a plus size tyre convert.

Battery performance was also excellent:

Distance: 23 miles
Ascent: 3,200ft
Battery remaining: 42%

We had a lot of rain overnight:

My ride covered a variety of terrains:

Stopped for a short while here to take in the view:

The bike ended up being less muddy than I thought it would be. There was a lot of rainfall so it was more sandy than anything:

Overall, a very pleasant afternoon and I'm over the moon with with my new Levo. :)

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Thought I'd be riding in the rain today.
The bike ended up being less muddy than I thought it would be. There was a lot of rainfall so it was more sandy than anything:
I knew that you wouldn't disappoint in respect of not being afraid to use the bike as the manufacturer intended. :)

No point owning an eMTB if you are going to use it in all weather conditions. Glad that you enjoyed the ride. :)

It looks as though your next job is to set the front suspension up.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
lets get pissed and go for a ride up the hill.

back wheel destroyed and broke the back cage of the rear mec as well haha ;)

Last edited:
  • Useful

mab13

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2015
Peak District
I knew that you wouldn't disappoint in respect of not being afraid to use the bike as the manufacturer intended. :)

No point owning an eMTB if you are going to use it in all weather conditions. Glad that you enjoyed the ride. :)

It looks as though your next job is to set the front suspension up.
Someone's eagle eyed aren't they!

Yes, completely agree. I don't own a shock pump so I asked the shop I bought the bike from to leave it on the high side so I could adjust downwards. I've already let a little out after today's ride and I'll get out in the week to fine tune it.

I ran the plus size tyres at 18psi back and 16psi front (per my Joe Blow) and think I could benefit from a slight reduction - I weigh around 165lb / 12 stone.

With the fork and tyres tweaked to my liking, the setup should then be complete.

Reactions: chris130256

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Someone's eagle eyed aren't they!
Nah not really. :) I only spotted it as I have been out playing with settings my self this week. Otherwise I wouldn't have noticed. :)

Today's plans haven't worked out and I couldn't face sitting down to do my accounts, so decided to carry on with bike cleaning and servicing instead. Funny how things soon escalate. :)

Not ebike related, but I have just spotted this little mishap at the track that is owned my one of my friends.

https://www.facebook.com/unknownmtb/videos/1115117905226845/

Last edited:

cyberdyne_systems

Pedelecer
May 8, 2016
Surrey
Nah not really. :) I only spotted it as I have been out playing with settings my self this week. Otherwise I wouldn't have noticed. :)

Today's plans haven't worked out and I couldn't face sitting down to do my accounts, so decided to carry on with bike cleaning and servicing instead. Funny how things soon escalate. :)

Not ebike related, but I have just spotted this little mishap at the track that is owned my one of my friends.

https://www.facebook.com/unknownmtb/videos/1115117905226845/

Nice work space, beats a kitchen table! :D

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Nice work space, beats a kitchen table! :D
Sadly not as big as I was previously used to at our last house, but the long term plan is build a larger workshop space. It would be rude not, given the fact that I design and construct oak framed buildings for a living.

You take the engines off to clean!
I probably remove the motor/motors once every couple of months. It gives me a chance to clean the bike and motor properly, and also check and re grease the outer bearing seal properly.

Removing a motor and re fitting only takes about 15 minutes to do, so it's no big deal. :)

I wouldn't normally be working on both bikes together, but today was slightly different, as I was also swapping the motor covers over from bike to bike. Besides the fact that I really rate and love hardtail mountain bikes, the idea of getting the hardtail was to maximize bike use during the winter wet and muddy months, without the added hassle of a full suspension bike, which can't really be used to maximum efficiency, and has the big minus point of extra maintenance and wear of bushes and bearings.
The fully enclosed motor cover on the full suspension bike has proved to be better at keeping crud out from the motor, so the logical step was simply to swap things around, and then also seal the motor cases further against water ingress.

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Good stuff - as usual - Eddie.

Shame we don't live a bit closer together because I expect my two Bosch bikes would benefit from an Eddie work over.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs

Shame we don't live a bit closer together because I expect my two Bosch bikes would benefit from an Eddie work over.
Here here.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com

Oddly enough, if you were closer I'd actually enjoy doing it. :)

on the subject of cleaning and prevention, I would suggest that as part of a regular cleaning regime, that the are to the rear of the sprocket on any Bosch motor, is cleaned properly without any form of detergent, and that after doing so, water proof grease is then applied.
It's another job that only takes minutes to do, but could potentially save outer bearing failure. If the motor doesn't already have one installed, then ideally this should be carried out at the same time as fitting the Bosch outer bearing seal.

I have also now started to clean the outer thread that retains the drive sprocket, with isopropanol to ensure that it is spotless and clean.

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Oddly enough, if you were closer I'd actually enjoy doing it. :)

Careful what you wish for - I have a car.

On a more serious note, it is rather worrying that your knowledge of the Bosch system probably exceeds that of most dealers.

Much as I like my Bosch bikes and they've both been reliable, if one conked out I'm still not sure how I would go about getting it fixed.

• :D

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I have always just enjoyed and had a natural interest and talent in tinkering with anything mechanical. :)

Which is kind of strange why I have never built my own ebike using an off the shelf kit. The only reason that I keep coming up with, is the fact that I like factory finish, and can't handle poor fit and a mechanical mess, which sadly makes up the majority of homebrew bikes.

I do have a hankering to build one though, and I am looking for a suitable bike to do so. I'm just currently being too tight buy the right bike.
I fancy building a trials dedicated ebike. Something that I have yet to see done. I get a lot of fun out of going slowly over very technical objects and terrain, and believe that on an electric trials cycle, that I could have an afternoon of winter fun in just a very small area of woodland.

Something like this.

Last edited:

Related Articles

Advertisers