eMTB owners photo and ride thread.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Didn't find Robin hood in there still hiding out from the robbing capitalists and royal parasites lol....? Amazing tree....nice bike too- got a soft spot for blues and black....and orange and black....and blue and yellow lol!!!
i think i got a bit of all that lol ;)

Reactions: Barrio Barranco

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
So....with the weather about to implode here in Scotland in the Highlands I opted to do Sgor Gaoith, a superb "Munro" literally starting 7 miles from home.... last chance for a while I headed towards the "Glen Feshie" (Ruigh-Aiteachain) bothy and turned left at Carnachuin before it.... jeez... never would have done this on a "real bike"- a mix of Sport/Tour and low gears saw me hit the SW edge of Coire Garbhlach then a plateau meander to the summit of Carn Ban Mor and then a final push through the boulder fields to the summit of Sgor Gaoith at 1118m. It was 28km and 1091m of ascent (I live at 255m ASL) 2 streams to cross and lost the track on the descent but done in 2hrs and 23m not that I was watching...dragged the bike through heather , sphagnum moss and over a few streams(that's why I emtb in hill walking boots...!!) before picking up the track again which was superb to the Allt Ruadh car park whereby I used the remaining battery to bike hands off fo the 2 miles back to the car park at Achlean.... what a superb afternoon, perfect..... Met a solo walking lass up there so perfect opportunity to capture the moment "non selfie"....she got a good one of me hope I did justice to her shots!! 60971079_466070197496499_8125479323986558976_n.jpgSG May 1.jpg60795814_466070070829845_4697592640021987328_n.jpgSG May.jpgSG May 2.jpg

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
fook that i cant even see a kebab van must be a fkn mission to find McDonalds lol :eek:

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
This EMTB thing is just awesome.....Living in the Scottish Highlands there's so much now open especially with 2 x 500wh batteries....Respecting the bike and the (EX1 mega expensive!!) drivetrain... Bike is thoroughly cleaned after use, chain wiped and lubed and 300km degreased, degreaser washed out and lubed and when the chain checker says 0.5% stretch it's gonna get binned...600km and the chain looks mint... Oh- This is my pup(yeah, she's nearly 9 but she'll always be my baby) called Cally.... next time up I go with her....she loves the mountains!!20170708_140040.jpg

Reactions: Dom T and Nev

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
fook that i cant even see a kebab van must be a fkn mission to find McDonalds lol :eek:
Ha Ha SW....top comment- my OH and her brother once lied?enticed? conned? his eldest daughter up to the top of Ben Rinnes near Aberlour with the promise there was a burger van at the top....ouch!!! She was a wee chubster then and never forgave them!!

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
This EMTB thing is just awesome.....Living in the Scottish Highlands there's so much now open especially with 2 x 500wh batteries....Respecting the bike and the (EX1 mega expensive!!) drivetrain... Bike is thoroughly cleaned after use, chain wiped and lubed and 300km degreased, degreaser washed out and lubed and when the chain checker says 0.5% stretch it's gonna get binned...600km and the chain looks mint... Oh- This is my pup(yeah, she's nearly 9 but she'll always be my baby) called Cally.... next time up I go with her....she loves the mountains!!View attachment 30581
Same place BTW..... still a good bit off the summits of Braeriach and Ben Macdui.....nice up there though- the going is easier not too bad, higher you go is better on the bike.... but what a place to sit down and ponder....

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Bike is thoroughly cleaned after use, chain wiped and lubed and 300km degreased, degreaser washed out and lubed and when the chain checker says 0.5% stretch it's gonna get binned...600km and the chain looks mint..
My current chain is on 600 miles and is now at 0.5% stretch. Not sure what others are getting out of their chains.

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
My current chain is on 600 miles and is now at 0.5% stretch. Not sure what others are getting out of their chains.
What drive train are you using? I'm EX1 but have been told it's essentially 10 speed chain but 8 gears to minimise cross chain wear. £308 a cassette or £17 a chain I'll put as many chains through this as I can. Ex1 chains might be stronger than standard 10 speed ? The powerlock is the black sram 10 speed so it must share the same width etc

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Drive train wear on a crank drive used off road is one of those regular ongoing costs.

I use mine to commute to work off road and then back on the road using a 9 speed Haibike Yamaha.

I have gone the other way using cheap shimano rear cassettes, 12 to 36 teeth (Now 12.95 delivered from Amazon) paired with a KMC chain (bought the last two chains in a sale for £18 delivered) and a quality 42 tooth narrow wide front chain ring.

It is always my top gear 12 tooth cog that wears out first from the road ride home and this can happen from as little as 504 miles (The cassette before the one I am using now), previous to that it was 1462 miles and my record breaking cassette lasted 2200 miles and the one I am using now is up to 662 miles.

My quality 42 tooth narrow wide chain ring has managed 2668 miles.

So as a regular high mileage commuter my approach is to use a quality front chain ring with a KMC 9 speed chain and a cheap Shimano 12/36 tooth rear cassette.

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
Drive train wear on a crank drive used off road is one of those regular ongoing costs.

I use mine to commute to work off road and then back on the road using a 9 speed Haibike Yamaha.

I have gone the other way using cheap shimano rear cassettes, 12 to 36 teeth (Now 12.95 delivered from Amazon) paired with a KMC chain (bought the last two chains in a sale for £18 delivered) and a quality 42 tooth narrow wide front chain ring.

It is always my top gear 12 tooth cog that wears out first from the road ride home and this can happen from as little as 504 miles (The cassette before the one I am using now), previous to that it was 1462 miles and my record breaking cassette lasted 2200 miles and the one I am using now is up to 662 miles.

My quality 42 tooth narrow wide chain ring has managed 2668 miles.

So as a regular high mileage commuter my approach is to use a quality front chain ring with a KMC 9 speed chain and a cheap Shimano 12/36 tooth rear cassette.
I'll need to monitor the sram x sync front one too as it's only 16T ( x 2.5 = 40t) and doing a lot of work. I've bought all the bits -chains, sprockets, bosh o rings so no excuses not to change things at first sign of significant wear. I accept this as part of owning an emtb this is gonna get a hard life compared to road use.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I'll need to monitor the sram x sync front one too as it's only 16T ( x 2.5 = 40t) and doing a lot of work. I've bought all the bits -chains, sprockets, bosh o rings so no excuses not to change things at first sign of significant wear. I accept this as part of owning an emtb this is gonna get a hard life compared to road use.
id dump the ex1 as it is way to expensive you can get a hole group set cheaper than just the cassette.

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
id dump the ex1 as it is way to expensive you can get a hole group set cheaper than just the cassette.

Once it's worn through it'll be replaced probably with the NX12 Eagle and they do a single shift shifter for emtb... or I'll drop to a 14t front and run a cheaper 11-42t setup to maintain the same low gear. But think this EX1 should last well reckon the lowest 5 gears machined out of a solid block are harder than the chains??

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you clean and lube it after every ride it should last for years depending how hard you are riding my old 11spd cassette was still fine when i replaced it and even got 60 quid for it on ebay with 1000s of miles on it.DSC_0096.JPG

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
So....with the weather about to implode here in Scotland in the Highlands I opted to do Sgor Gaoith, a superb "Munro" literally starting 7 miles from home.... last chance for a while I headed towards the "Glen Feshie" (Ruigh-Aiteachain) bothy and turned left at Carnachuin before it.... jeez... never would have done this on a "real bike"- a mix of Sport/Tour and low gears saw me hit the SW edge of Coire Garbhlach then a plateau meander to the summit of Carn Ban Mor and then a final push through the boulder fields to the summit of Sgor Gaoith at 1118m. It was 28km and 1091m of ascent (I live at 255m ASL) 2 streams to cross and lost the track on the descent but done in 2hrs and 23m not that I was watching...dragged the bike through heather , sphagnum moss and over a few streams(that's why I emtb in hill walking boots...!!) before picking up the track again which was superb to the Allt Ruadh car park whereby I used the remaining battery to bike hands off fo the 2 miles back to the car park at Achlean.... what a superb afternoon, perfect..... Met a solo walking lass up there so perfect opportunity to capture the moment "non selfie"....she got a good one of me hope I did justice to her shots!! View attachment 30576View attachment 30577View attachment 30578View attachment 30579View attachment 30580
Superb photos! I've walked up there (long time ago) but I doubt if I could get up there on my R&M Supercharger.

Jim

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
BB fine riding, lovely views, we will be back at some point to do exactly the same rides.
Loch Einich does have a river crossing that's a wee bit sketchy.

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
What drive train are you using?
I have used Shimano 7S, 10S, 11S. Sram 3x10. Sram EX1. But the one I liked most was Shimano 10S.

Sram EX1 was good for eMTB when it worked I thought. But man, what a crappy derailleur. So I changed that one to Shimano derailleur with Sram grip shift. That combination served me well for long time but shifting was not always perfect.

Now I have just changed to Shimano 10S, Saint derailleur with Zee shifter. Have Garbaruk cage on it so I can use wide range cassette.
Also, 11-speed chain just to have same on all bikes.

Because, Shimano has wide range 10S cassette and derailleur aside from SRam that has not! (fook!).

My new 10S Downhill-speced components works like a charm though! Best shifting performance I've tried. Just has to get used to trigger shifters again :(

Last edited:

Related Articles

Advertisers