eMTB owners photo and ride thread.

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Sure that'll work !!!! :D:);)

Hoping to get out on Thursday, somewhere will do....Hopton, Llandegla, Eastridge, not fussed, but will have to be careful as right shoulder injury is sore and right finger and thumb still numb.
My physio says I can ride so I've been given the go ahead.
GP has put me off until 28th so hoping to get as much gentle riding in as possible.

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Thanks for the vidz, reminds me of the old days when I had an eMTB, commuting was awesome then! The guy in below vid could have been me, except for the skill level then ;)

Reactions: georgehenry

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Really cold day at Llandegla today, it was all ice until we got into the forest. When we got back to the van where the bikes were dirty it had frozen to the frame.
He likes his Eddie Currents, able to throw it about in the woods as it wasn't frozen ground and the grip well.
If it wasn't for our 5 tens our ar@es would have been on the deck. Sheet ice all the way up, still good fun though :)

IMG_20190117_095318 - Edited.jpgIMG_20190117_095323 - Edited.jpgIMG_20190117_095329 - Edited.jpgIMG_20190117_101035 - Edited.jpgIMG_20190117_101111 - Edited.jpg

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Yesterday was my coldest commute of the winter so far. Used 35% of the battery on my 14 mile off road route to work and 44% on my 10 mile road ride home at around midnight. BBC weather had predicted -3 for the ride home and my Yamaha LCD display showed -1. It was around 8 degrees for my ride to work.

Today was no warmer on the ride in and the lake I pass on one of my routes had melting patches of ice.
ride to work snowdrop icy lake jan 19 001.JPG
Then on the start of the next track I found evidence of that Spring is just around the corner.
ride to work snowdrop icy lake jan 19 004.JPG
Nearly time for shorts and a T shirt! It did actually feel warmer on the ride home.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Hi Dom, Sorry going through a cold spell, up here in Tayside at the moment
been fkn freezing here for the last 3 months global warming needs to hurry up lol ;)

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
I don't mind the cold. Due on 2nd February so fingers crossed. It's a case of bring the bikes and ride when we can.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
The start time of my last shift of five last night meant that I took the car. On the return drive back home the display in my car briefly showed -5 and no warmer than -3.5, a bit nippy.

I also do not mind the cold too much and over the previous four days riding to work and back had covered 94 miles, setting off in the afternoons around 2:00pm and riding back home after midnight.

In this colder weather I have been using about 75% of a full 400Wh battery for each 24 mile round trip. The battery will be four years old in March. My total mileage is now 10,542 for this bike.

Reactions: NI Phil

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Well that ain't bad then GH. Would you buy a new battery or a new bike if it came to it ?
Just charged up the haibike batteries as we are off out on them tomorrow.
Canyon's are on hold until our holiday, as we ain't no time to get out in any mountains. Just some gravel paths and local single track of non challenging ability.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
That is a good question Dom T. A new 400Wh battery is £650 and a 500Wh battery £850. There are pattern ones available but from comments on other threads these have worked well for some and not for others. I believe the original battery can be re-celled.

Against this is the fact that a brand new bike like mine can be bought for £1600 if you wait for the right buying opportunity.

I bought my bike to perform a specific task, carry me and loaded panniers over a proper in places challenging 12/14 mile xc route to work using eco and off to get plenty of exercise and then get me home on a 10 mile road route with a few big hills in between at an average speed around 20 mph and a journey time of not much more than 30 minutes using the middle assist level to crest or climb the steeper hills quicker and eco for level slightly up slightly down bits and off for steeper downhill bits..

The gearing has been changed to be as perfect as possible to suit me and the routes I use. The tyres are more road biased than ideal for the xc route but are tough long lasting highly puncture resistant (none so far) and work well enough.

The way I use my bike is probably masking the loss of capacity that my battery must now be suffering from and I am sure that the total range must be less than when new.

However this is hardly noticeable in the way I use it (ie using 25% to 45% of the battery capacity and then charging it back to full or storing it indoors at 60% full) and I will keep using it until it is obvious I need to buy a new one.

The bike will be four years old in March 2019, I will be 58 in October and intend to retire when I am 60. Could it possible last that long. We will see. It is probably a tall order it would be six and a half years old or there about and my mileage would be up around 16000 + or -.

I love mountain biking and will want to do plenty after I am retired but may still be able to use a non electric bike, but would also be tempted by the sort of bike Eddie uses, a good hard tail electric mountain bike with tubeless oversize tyres and a dropper post.

Though there is no reason I could not adapt my bike with a better fork, tubeless oversize as possible tyres and a dropper post. There may be life in the old dog left to be had. Though by then I might want to treat myself to something brand new.

Last edited:

NI Phil

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 20, 2018
That is a good question Dom T. A new 400Wh battery is £650 and a 500Wh battery £850. There are pattern ones available but from comments on other threads these have worked well for some and not for others. I believe the original battery can be re-celled.

Against this is the fact that a brand new bike like mine can be bought for £1600 if you wait for the right buying opportunity.

I bought my bike to perform a specific task, carry me and loaded panniers over a proper in places challenging 12/14 mile xc route to work using eco and off to get plenty of exercise and then get me home on a 10 mile road route with a few big hills in between at an average speed around 20 mph and a journey time of not much more than 30 minutes using the middle assist level to crest or climb the steeper hills quicker and eco for level slightly up slightly down bits and off for steeper downhill bits..

The gearing has been changed to be as perfect as possible to suit me and the routes I use. The tyres are more road biased than ideal for the xc route but are tough long lasting highly puncture resistant (none so far) and work well enough.

The way I use my bike is probably masking the loss of capacity that my battery must now be suffering from and I am sure that the total range must be less than when new.

However this is hardly noticeable in the way I use it (ie using 25% to 45% of the battery capacity and then charging it back to full or storing it indoors at 60% full) and I will keep using it until it is obvious I need to buy a new one.

The bike will be four years old in March 2019, I will be 58 in October and intend to retire when I am 60. Could it possible last that long. We will see. It is probably a tall order it would be six and a half years old or there about and my mileage would be up around 16000 + or -.

I love mountain biking and will want to do plenty after I am retired but may still be able to use a non electric bike, but would also be tempted by the sort of bike Eddie uses, a good hard tail electric mountain bike with tubeless oversize tyres and a dropper post.

Though there is no reason I could not adapt my bike with a better fork, tubeless oversize as possible tyres and a dropper post. There may be life in the old dog left to be had. Though by then I might want to treat myself to something brand new.
Reading your posts has given me great confidence in my Haibike. If it kept on going until you retired with 16K plus (& a replacement motor) maybe Haibike have a museum & would buy it off you

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
I'm just gonna keep the haibike going until it finally gives up the ghost.
I think so long as you clean the bike, keep things in tip top condition, generally look after it, it'll be okay. I'm sure at some point we'll need new batteries.
However, I would then try and part ex it or sell it for something with a shimano battery as I much prefer the Canyon Spectral On.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you mad lol get jimmy to recell them and add more capacity ;)

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
using eco and off to get plenty of exercise
glad to hear. I just came home from commuting in the freezing cold, at full assist you don't brake a sweat yourself and it gets f-in cold! Thought I should try go down a step or two in assist to get the natural motor going instead :) good work georgehenry!

dropper post
you could try just a dropper post, can be had for cheap now. Really great when going offroad. You need to have the saddle quite high to get correct ergonomy for pedalling and that is too high offroad to feel comfy I think.

Rustbucket

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 10, 2018
A selection of photos from last year.
I haven't used the bike since November, the motor bearings are on their way out. Hopefully they will collapse before next October, I must get back out on it

Attachments

Reactions: georgehenry

Related Articles

Advertisers