EN15194 compliance

hoppy

May 25, 2010
I've read recently that much more powerful motors can be certified to comply with EN15194 by using the acceleration test . How can this be done when they are pas only with no throttle?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It is a timed actual riding test, but of course the flaw with torque sensing bikes is that the outcome can depend on the degree of rider input. Here's the test details:

In this test, starting from a standstill one accelerates the bike, and times how long it takes to cover 20 metres. According to EN19154 the power is to be calculated from the formula,

P = 2 x D x D x M/(T x T x T)

where P= power watts, D= 20 metres, M= mass of rider plus bike Kg, T = time secs to cover distance D.

For a bike and me weighing together 100 kilos, a time of 6.9 seconds to cover that 20 metres from a standstill means 244 watts.

D

Deleted member 4366

I've read recently that much more powerful motors can be certified to comply with EN15194 by using the acceleration test . How can this be done when they are pas only with no throttle?
You can get a load cell that goes on the pedals and records how much work the rider does, so you can subtract his/her power from the total to calculate the motor power. Extra Energy used these devices in their tests that they used to publish, but I think you have to pay for the test results now as I didn't see the results of the last two group tests.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Last edited: