Epiphany ... Müsing Ladies Rohloff frame

Big Vern

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 11, 2019
Morning folks,

I have been talking to Tony reference fitting the TCDZ2 with Throttle/Brake levers to à Décathlon Triban 520.

Looking about my man cave yesterday, I uncovered a Müsing Ladies Twinroad Rohloff frame. Why not use this (if possible)? Post spinal cord tumour I have problems with not only pushing but lifting my legs, it is easier to “get my leg across” this Ladies bike. You have probably gathered that I am bored falling over due to lack of strength in legs.

Others have mentioned recumbent, which will probably be for the future.

So, not a big deal if it won’t work but .... Müsing BSA68 bracket ✔(Tick), Rohloff fitted to DT Swiss X470 (Swalbe Marathon + 700/32c) ✔ (Tick), choice of rear sprocket 16, 17 & 19 (Tick).
Read the thread about gearing so 42 & 17 should work.

Main question: How do folks move chainline out from 50mm to magically 54mm please.

If this is as simple as it looks then I’ll be even happier than Decathlon Triban setup. Hopefully photo of Müsing bracket will show:

Thanks Vern

Attachments

pn_day

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2013
St Andrews, Fife
Hi Vern,

Firstly - you are lucky to find a Rohloff equipped frame in your man cave - should be a lovely thing to use.

Does the TSDZ2 allow use of a chainring spider? If so, you should be able to either get chainrings that are dished and therefore move them out that way, or get an adapter (big washer with holes through it) that sits between the spider and the motor mount to move the whole thing out.

If you are stuck with the chainring that fits directly onto a motor, then life becomes more difficult...

I would ping the helpful folks at Woosh - they should be able to help.

Good luck,
Phil

Reactions: Woosh

Big Vern

Mar 11, 2019
Thanks Phil,
Lucky indeed. Seems a waste to have Rohloff sat there.
Vern

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
Get yourself an igh specific gear sensor- helps enormously with rohloff gear changes

Big Vern

Mar 11, 2019
Get yourself an igh specific gear sensor- helps enormously with rohloff gear changes
Jarob10,
Thank you for that ... could you give me an example please. Till I get everything together for the Rohloff conversion, I’ll run the motor on the Decathlon Triban. As an ex-RAF aircraft technician (before 30 years as a navigator), I will enjoy fitting the kit ... any chance to get my hands dirty :) I’ll be missing out on exercise, my muscle strength seems to go very quickly post-op ... but then I was expected to be in a wheelchair.
Thank you,
Vern

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
Jarob10,
Thank you for that ... could you give me an example please. Till I get everything together for the Rohloff conversion, I’ll run the motor on the Decathlon Triban. As an ex-RAF aircraft technician (before 30 years as a navigator), I will enjoy fitting the kit ... any chance to get my hands dirty :) I’ll be missing out on exercise, my muscle strength seems to go very quickly post-op ... but then I was expected to be in a wheelchair.
Thank you,
Vern

Sorry I can get a direct link, but this is the part you need, from Aliexpress. Overpriced at $39 but well worth it

62E15723-39DC-4B34-9B6D-8A43A8D87E06.jpeg

Big Vern

Mar 11, 2019
Jarob,
Many thanks! Blimey, that was quick. Added to list ...
Kr,
Vernon

Big Vern

Mar 11, 2019
Jarob,
It does state this is for Bafang motors and I have bought a TSDZ2. I’ll see if it is compatible or source similar. Last thing I want to do is strip the blue gear. I tend to be very sympathetic to all our mechanical toys, my early training takes over!
Thank you,
Vern

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Sorry I can get a direct link, but this is the part you need, from Aliexpress. Overpriced at $39 but well worth it
the TSDZ2 has a torque sensor, not cadence sensor. You don't need a gear sensor. As soon as you ease off on the pedals, you can change gear without the clonking that happens on the BBS01/BBS02
If you still want to have one, let me know.

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
Jarob,
It does state this is for Bafang motors and I have bought a TSDZ2. I’ll see if it is compatible or source similar. Last thing I want to do is strip the blue gear. I tend to be very sympathetic to all our mechanical toys, my early training takes over!
Thank you,
Vern
It connects to a brake sensor- some wiring mods maybe needed

Torque / cadence isn’t relevant- changing gear on a rohloff mostly won’t happen (ie shifter can’t be twisted) when the chain is fully loaded

Of course if you’re happy to back off the pedals prior to each gearshift, then the gear sensor is not needed

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
for the number of times you need it, you can tap on the brakes until they bite a little bit.

Big Vern

Mar 11, 2019
Thanks for all your inputs, really kept me thinking. I built the Rohloff Trekking bike yesterday, took it for a 30km shakedown this morning. Only criticism was the Nebla shifters, I think that Rohloff Shifter by Hase (SJSbikes) is on the list ... will help with my disability. After nearly 300 miles on my Decathlon Triban 520 testbed, I didn’t expect any issues (the only thing I get is the very occasional 99 on the screen and the motor stops working, on hills in low gears ... probably something basic that I have failed to tweak on TSDZ2 display side). Anyway, apart from tidying up the wires (heat shrink wrap), fit Hebie chain guard (arrives today), change Brooks seat to sprung type, swap fork to accept usb charger from SON unit in wheel, fit (that will be fun) Hase shifter and original Rohloff rear box ... I’m done. Till my wife wants one.
6959FDD1-31F7-471B-9531-24CB41298369.jpeg47EA9C8C-E7C5-4E1E-BB67-12DDE388A4D6.jpeg

Last edited:

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
Thanks for all your inputs, really kept me thinking. I built the Rohloff Trekking bike yesterday, took it for a 30km shakedown this morning. Only criticism was the Nebla shifters, I think that Rohloff Shifter by Hase (SJSbikes) is on the list ... will help with my disability. After nearly 300 miles on my Decathlon Triban 520 testbed, I didn’t expect any issues (the only thing I get is the very occasional 99 on the screen and the motor stops working, on hills in low gears ... probably something basic that I have failed to tweak on TSDZ2 display side). Anyway, apart from tidying up the wires (heat shrink wrap), fit Hebie chain guard (arrives today), change Brooks seat to sprung type, swap fork to accept usb charger from SON unit in wheel, fit (that will be fun) Hase shifter and original Rohloff rear box ... I’m done. Till my wife wants one.
View attachment 29867View attachment 29868
How are you finding the gear shifting?

Big Vern

Mar 11, 2019
Hi Jarob10,
Just fitted the Hase Rohloff shifter, shifting just as Nebla unit except now I have greater range of gears to grab at once. Perfect with my spinal cord/neck issues. Also fitted Brooks sprung seat. Will use “Arthur the Camel”, named after local character who makes a lot of noise & because it will occasionally bite me ;-). SWMBO has ordered 2 Decathlon 940 eBikes (Shimano STEPS with RD, not my choice but reasonable priced and if you don’t like them they have a 365 exchange/refund policy) for our Camping Car which took the edge of my joys (Rohloff sorted in 90mins this morning, Rohloff Youtube tutorials are fantastic) but means SWMBO and I can bimble at similar speeds. Arthur will be used locally (especially in winter).
Still awaiting Arthur’s new fork and will tidy/fettle electrics shortly.
817FAB03-7404-4528-83D6-D8ED82EA605A.jpegF6D292BB-CA94-4C42-899F-96045358E6A6.jpeg4670065B-CB55-4F43-83CF-40542BD71067.jpeg

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
Looks good, I’d be interested to hear how the shifting behaves under motor / pedal load

Also, I’m unsure if it’s significant, but your hub spoke lacing isn’t as per the book - see belowimage.jpg

Big Vern

Mar 11, 2019
Hi Jarob10,
I left the lacing to SJSCycles ... they sold me the Thorn Mercury these wheels originated from!
I have had absolutely no problems changing gear, but then I am very gentle ... stuff tends to last longer that way!
“Arthur the Camel” is great fun, and my go to ebike on my own. SWMBO spent some of our pennies on 2 Decathlon Elopes 940e, which to be fair ... will be OK, less likely to be nicked off the back of the camping car (read no character) BUT the 10 spd RD is not a patch on the Rohloff. Trying to see how to move the Rohloff on to this (using Arthur round us & winter rides), but probably too much trouble.
Spine thanks me for Brooks sprung seat and Hase twistgrip on “Arthur”.

Big Vern

Mar 11, 2019
Looks like I have finally sorted “Arthur the Camel 2”. Photos below. SWMBO is happy with Elops 940e, I handed mine back after a weekend at Ile de Re ... Decathlon didn’t want to pay up but they did. They shouldn’t have sent us a used (possibly abused) model in the first place.
This saga meant I had to look at how to improve the camel for long term use. I bought a Rohloff chain tensioner plus ‘bone. Because I really need a step thru due to mobility issues, I bought a Vyron bluetooth seat-post dropper which transformed the ride.
I will stick with this setup now, until I have looked at next years Bosch Performance motor offerings etc ... might even not bother until 2021. TSDZ2 coupled to the Rohloff has been brilliant (thank you Tony for your support at woosh bikes). The camel’s battery outlasts the Elops 940e and my wife has been very impressed how lively the is up hills.
I have opened up the drive side and packed with grease (good to 200C and nylon) and bought a copper plus nylon sacrificial gears from PWC direct. Half the price they ask on Amazon, from the same merchant, just lucky when it cleared customs in Paris there was no duty to pay. No need for the gears to date, useful to have in the camping cars boot this winter.
Today I completed just over 1600km (1000 miles) in 3 months. Happy days7DEA867F-0393-4377-93C6-665AC3207519.jpegDFFF9714-EE78-4D0B-B380-C94C9EC46CB7.jpegEC0DB3BE-76E9-44FA-9361-5095E7764ECB.jpeg

Last edited:

Big Vern

Mar 11, 2019
Must be bored
Slowly “Arthur the Camel III” surfaces. Cube wave frame, Cube fork with 50mm travel, the brilliant TSDZ2 motor (faultless after 2000km) coupled to a Rohloff Internal Gearbox. Life should be more bearable this Autumn/Winter!