Epsom newbie homebuilder

Sylvester

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2015
Epsom, Surrey
Hello everyone

When I retired last April I hoped to spend a lot more time on my mountain bike, but unfortunately I've developed some health problems which preclude energetic cycling. And it's hilly round here (Epsom Downs). So I started googling e-bikes, and last weekend I went to an open day at a local dealership (Cycling Made Easy). They were very welcoming and Steve took me out on a new Scott E-Aspect 720, with Bosch Performance mid-drive. I absolutely loved it, but unfortunately I've decided that I can't afford to spend that amount of money at the moment.

So I looked again at my 10-year old Marin Nail Trail hardtail...and to cut to the chase, I've ordered a 250W BBS01 centre-drive kit from Wooshbikes. They didn't have hydraulic brake lever switches in stock, but referred me to Eclipse who had them, and sent them very promptly.

So the motor and battery are due to be delivered tomorrow, and I just need to get some tools to swap the bottom bracket, etc. I don't really have much experience of bike mechanics but I've been googling like crazy and this forum has been very useful already. Wish me luck!

David (Sylvester is a cat I used to "own")

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Best of luck with the conversion David, I'm sure you will be very pleased with it and not feel you've lost out at all.

Reactions: Sylvester
D

Deleted member 4366

You can get a crank puller and a bb tool together on Ebay for a few quid.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Hello everyone

When I retired last April I hoped to spend a lot more time on my mountain bike, but unfortunately I've developed some health problems which preclude energetic cycling. And it's hilly round here (Epsom Downs). So I started googling e-bikes, and last weekend I went to an open day at a local dealership (Cycling Made Easy). They were very welcoming and Steve took me out on a new Scott E-Aspect 720, with Bosch Performance mid-drive. I absolutely loved it, but unfortunately I've decided that I can't afford to spend that amount of money at the moment.

So I looked again at my 10-year old Marin Nail Trail hardtail...and to cut to the chase, I've ordered a 250W BBS01 centre-drive kit from Wooshbikes. They didn't have hydraulic brake lever switches in stock, but referred me to Eclipse who had them, and sent them very promptly.

So the motor and battery are due to be delivered tomorrow, and I just need to get some tools to swap the bottom bracket, etc. I don't really have much experience of bike mechanics but I've been googling like crazy and this forum has been very useful already. Wish me luck!

David (Sylvester is a cat I used to "own")
Hi David, I spent most of my childhood in Epsom, so I know just how bad those hills are. Especially that bugger, Ashley Road, leading up to the race course :mad:
Used to cycle from Epsom to Box Hill on many occasions with my friends too. Under human power of course, as I don't think electric bikes were available that long ago :p

Enjoy your new ride. You made a good choice going electric, considering where you live.

Keldin

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2014
David
As d8veh says you can get the tools pretty cheap on ebay compared to a bike shop or halfords. However that would take a few days to arrive so if you can't wait I'm down the road in Cheam and have a shimano bb tool and crank puller. It only takes a few minutes to swap out a bottom bracket although not sure how much extra time the bbs01 needs for fitting.
David

Reactions: flecc

Sylvester

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2015
Epsom, Surrey
David
As d8veh says you can get the tools pretty cheap on ebay compared to a bike shop or halfords. However that would take a few days to arrive so if you can't wait I'm down the road in Cheam and have a shimano bb tool and crank puller. It only takes a few minutes to swap out a bottom bracket although not sure how much extra time the bbs01 needs for fitting.
David
David, that's very kind of you! I'm going to try a couple of bike shops today for the tools, but if I get stuck I'll be in touch. At the moment I'm waiting for the kit to arrive - it's due in the next hour or so.

Keldin

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2014
No problem. They should have them (I think I got my crank puller from halfords as I needed it last minute) but it will be more pricey than ebay.
Just watch a youtube video on the removal or check a manual somewhere as the bb is a mix of right and left hand threads so you don't want to be tightening when you think you're undoing something.

Sylvester

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2015
Epsom, Surrey
No problem. They should have them (I think I got my crank puller from halfords as I needed it last minute) but it will be more pricey than ebay.
Just watch a youtube video on the removal or check a manual somewhere as the bb is a mix of right and left hand threads so you don't want to be tightening when you think you're undoing something.
Thanks for the advice. Do you think it's worth getting a cycle stand, or is that an expensive luxury?

Keldin

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2014
I wouldn't bother as I would just turn the bike upside down or have someone hold it in place or just lean it against the wall. Plus then its one more thing taking up space in my house that's already stuffed full of junk. Not fitted a bbs01 though so another pair of hands may be helpful. Someone with experience of fitting one may be able to advise.

D

Deleted member 4366

That's very kind of you to donate your money to local charities. That extra £10 - £20 that you give them helps ensure that your local Halfords or bike shop will survive and always be there to help you when you need them. When your concience causes you to want to donate more money, don't forget about the homeless kids and unwanted pets.

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Thanks for the advice. Do you think it's worth getting a cycle stand, or is that an expensive luxury?
I'm using a bike stand for my BBS01 conversion and am finding it extremely useful, both for doing the conversion itself and storing the bike out of the way when I'm not working on it. I'm impressed with the quality and astounded by the price - under £30 delivered from Amazon. It's this one.

The BBS01 motor installation itself is pretty quick and easy. If you need any other assistance I'm down the road in Guildford, commuting to Teddington near you.

Michael

Sylvester

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2015
Epsom, Surrey
I'm using a bike stand for my BBS01 conversion and am finding it extremely useful, both for doing the conversion itself and storing the bike out of the way when I'm not working on it. I'm impressed with the quality and astounded by the price - under £30 delivered from Amazon. It's this one.

The BBS01 motor installation itself is pretty quick and easy. If you need any other assistance I'm down the road in Guildford, commuting to Teddington near you.

Michael
Michael, thanks, I think I'll send off for one of those stands. I've just been to Halfords and bought an "essential tool kit" plus a couple more tools, which I hope will suffice. Quality of these looks a bit marginal - I hope I don't regret buying them. "Buy cheap, buy twice" as my daughter always chides me.

Reactions: mfj197