Help! ERROR E22 AND E21

marcuspassey

Pedelecer
Jan 27, 2019
Hey all

Please help I have a carrera vulcan ebike its around 15 months old

im getting error E22 AND E21

apparantly thats the crank and sensor it says it needs replacing will that be expensive.

also I have to say im not happy the bike is out of warranty but the seat has broken twice the housing that holds the monitor is broken and on top of that the constant cut outs

anyone else have this?

marcus

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
All of your problems have been experienced by alot of Crossfire/Vulcan owners with the Suntour system. If your torque sensor is faulty, it's not good news i'm afraid to say. From what I've read lately people have been waiting weeks for replacements and Suntour may have ceased production. The good news is that Anon4 on here has recently converted his Vulcan with some low cost parts using his old battery and motor. He will prob. spot this thread and tell you more or have a search through his posts/threads.
Here you go, post #53 onwards.
https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/carrera-crossfire-vulcan-tuning.31768/page-3

Last edited:

marcuspassey

Pedelecer
Jan 27, 2019
All of your problems have been experienced by alot of Crossfire/Vulcan owners with the Suntour system. If your torque sensor is faulty, it's not good news i'm afraid to say. From what I've read lately people have been waiting weeks for replacements and Suntour may have ceased production. The good news is that Anon4 on here has recently converted his Vulcan with some low cost parts using his old battery and motor. He will prob. spot this thread and tell you more or have a search through his posts/threads.
Here you go, post #53 onwards.
https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/carrera-crossfire-vulcan-tuning.31768/page-3
Thanks for quick reply

suntour stopped production really? does that mean Halfords should have an obligation to sort this out?

I mean my bike is 15 months old ive had nothing but problems.

Im not mechanical hope I can fix bike if have to.

cheers

marcus

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Go to Halfords and tell them you need a new TS and see what they have to say about their ability to get one. I don't think you will be able to deal with Suntour direct. Where about's are you? There may be someone nearby who could help with converting your bike if you feel unable to do it yourself.

marcuspassey

Pedelecer
Jan 27, 2019
Go to Halfords and tell them you need a new TS and see what they have to say about their ability to get one. I don't think you will be able to deal with Suntour direct. Where about's are you? There may be someone nearby who could help with converting your bike if you feel unable to do it yourself.
Its crazy the amount of trouble I've had with these bikes wish I bought a high-end normal bike.

I'm in Kent , if I wallpapered a wall it would fall down im useless lol

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Its crazy the amount of trouble I've had with these bikes
Don't say you have more than one!!:eek: It's a shame because the Vulcan is not a bad bike really, just let down by an electric kit that seems to have multiple issues suffered by more than a few owners. Brighton ebikes might be a place that could help you if all fails with Halfords, but not exactly on your doorstep.

marcuspassey

Pedelecer
Jan 27, 2019
Don't say you have more than one!!:eek: It's a shame because the Vulcan is not a bad bike really, just let down by an electric kit that seems to have multiple issues suffered by more than a few owners. Brighton ebikes might be a place that could help you if all fails with Halfords, but not exactly on your doorstep.
yeah bit far

do you think halfords should give a new bike if the whole thing is faulty but out of warranty?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yeah bit far

do you think halfords should give a new bike if the whole thing is faulty but out of warranty?
you could try but id say it was not fit for purpose in the first place if they wont play ball then its of to small claims court ;)

marcuspassey

Pedelecer
Jan 27, 2019
you could try but id say it was not fit for purpose in the first place if they wont play ball then its of to small claims court ;)
they have been pretty good they already replaced the bike I had the carrera crossfire then they gave me the vulcan. just had loads trouble with it but out of warranty :-(

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
all you can do is take it back and see what they say tbh.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Don't think they will be obliged to do anything legally as the warranty has expired. Good CS would be to help you all they can to fix the bike, but this seems to vary wildly from branch to branch, from really, really helpful to don't want to know. Speaking loudly but calmly in a busy shop can sometimes help in these situations. AFAIK, this bike is still being sold, so if there is a lack of spare parts, then they are behaving very badly.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
they have been pretty good they already replaced the bike I had the carrera crossfire then they gave me the vulcan.
This might help your case, swapped one cr#p bike for another one just as cr#p.:(I don't really call that being helpful. I wouldn't leave your bike with them unless they have the replacement part on the shelf, you could be without it for months.

Reactions: marcuspassey

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
2 years electrical, 1 year other components warranty on the Vulcan (same a Crossfire-e)

I would of thought the torque sensor is electrical, so should be covered. I recently had the Suntour display bracket snap on mine, just over 1 year old, my local Halfords replaced it no problem, so they must still be able to get Suntour HESC parts (these parts are interchangeable between the Crossfire-e and Vulcan-e
failing that, someone selling 3 Vulcan-e chainsets, one with what looks to have the sensor attached, might be worth a punt
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SR-Suntour-HESC-cranks-for-ebike-x3-Parts-Only/183624904508?hash=item2ac0e5af3c:g:FLIAAOSwQH5b9T-p:rk:2:pf:1&frcectupt=true

marcuspassey

Pedelecer
Jan 27, 2019
Don't think they will be obliged to do anything legally as the warranty has expired. Good CS would be to help you all they can to fix the bike, but this seems to vary wildly from branch to branch, from really, really helpful to don't want to know. Speaking loudly but calmly in a busy shop can sometimes help in these situations. AFAIK, this bike is still being sold, so if there is a lack of spare parts, then they are behaving very badly.
I've been put right off e-bikes because of this :-(

marcuspassey

Pedelecer
Jan 27, 2019
2 years electrical, 1 year other components warranty on the Vulcan (same a Crossfire-e)

I would of thought the torque sensor is electrical, so should be covered. I recently had the Suntour display bracket snap on mine, just over 1 year old, my local Halfords replaced it no problem, so they must still be able to get Suntour HESC parts (these parts are interchangeable between the Crossfire-e and Vulcan-e
failing that, someone selling 3 Vulcan-e chainsets, one with what looks to have the sensor attached, might be worth a punt
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SR-Suntour-HESC-cranks-for-ebike-x3-Parts-Only/183624904508?hash=item2ac0e5af3c:g:FLIAAOSwQH5b9T-p:rk:2:pf:1&frcectupt=true
hope it is covered

russ18uk

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2018
I've been put right off e-bikes because of this :-(
Don't be. But I wouldn't have only one (e)bike as a form of transport if it's critical if at all possible.

Ebikes have more things to go wrong, although an ebike with a hub motor can offset that greatly as your drivetrain can be nuked and can still carry on if it has a throttle.