Help! ERROR E22 AND E21

marcuspassey

Pedelecer
Jan 27, 2019
They saying may not be covered with warranty as it depends on parts being serviced. I didn’t know I had to have the suntour system serviced to ensure it stays in warranty

russ18uk

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2018
Unless they gave you paperwork stating the requirement then you can argue the toss with them. In fact I'd stamp my foot regardless, preferably when they've got a queue of people waiting.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Sounds like they are trying to give you the brush off, ask them what's involved in servicing the Suntour system. I'd be surpriced if it includes stripping and cleaning the TS components, but I could be wrong. The electronic part is a sealed unit, so no way of servicing it. There is of course the chance that a good clean will bring it back to proper working condition, as it still sounds like it is working, albeit not as it should. I'm not sure the same can be said of the other faults on the bike. In post #57, Brynric states he had his TS cleaned and it cleared the fault code, for free after 3 years, I assume for the first time.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
there just trying to fob you off as none of the electrical system would be serviceable buy the end user or even halfords under warranty.

like if a bosch motor goes wrong it has to be sent back to bosch the dealers cant even open the motor even if it is a 10 quid bearing that needs to be replaced.

marcuspassey

Pedelecer
Jan 27, 2019
I can’t argue with people face to face lol. Both technicians just said to me yeah you have two years warranty depending on if electrical parts been looked after and serviced.

They said they don’t know until they look at it. I left it there but my bike is dirty with bald back tyre and monitor mount hanging off so they will say I’ve not looked after it.

I’m worried I’m gonna have pay loads to get it done now.

It’s Tonbridge Halfords I’m gonna need evidence to argue with the manager I feel I’m gonna get screwed.

The crossfire and Vulcan have been so unreliable, I’m going to have to complain to Halfords customer services.

Does anyone advise what I should do?

Still got a feeling they just gonna say it ain’t covered

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

marcuspassey

Pedelecer
Jan 27, 2019
there just trying to fob you off as none of the electrical system would be serviceable buy the end user or even halfords under warranty.

like if a bosch motor goes wrong it has to be sent back to bosch the dealers cant even open the motor even if it is a 10 quid bearing that needs to be replaced.
But maybe they have fully qualified technicians in Halfords so electric kits don’t have go back to manufacturer?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id not have halfords service my bike even if it was free lol monkeys at the zoo would do a better job:D

marcuspassey

Pedelecer
Jan 27, 2019
Trying find information on this 2 year warranty on electric parts buggered if I can see anything that says it has to be serviced

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
But maybe they have fully qualified technicians in Halfords so electric kits don’t have go back to manufacturer?
AFAIK the only work they will carry out to the electric side of the bike is to swap the major components, battery, motor, display, wiring loom maybe. It maybe the case in some shops that they will strip and clean the TS, but I wouldn't count on it being done in every branch. As I've said earlier, I think it's very much pot luck on the service you get from them.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
8.2. All warranties are non-transferable and only apply for the original Customer. Please note that, if you buy Goods with a Halfords warranty, we are guaranteeing that those Goods will work during the warranty period. If you replace the Goods during the warranty period, the warranty does not start again. You will only benefit from the remaining period of the original warranty. This does not affect your statutory rights if the Goods are faulty or not as described.

marcuspassey

Pedelecer
Jan 27, 2019
8.2. All warranties are non-transferable and only apply for the original Customer. Please note that, if you buy Goods with a Halfords warranty, we are guaranteeing that those Goods will work during the warranty period. If you replace the Goods during the warranty period, the warranty does not start again. You will only benefit from the remaining period of the original warranty. This does not affect your statutory rights if the Goods are faulty or not as described.
so this looks good I need to show them this

russ18uk

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2018
I left it there but my bike is dirty with bald back tyre and monitor mount hanging off so they will say I’ve not looked after it.

Still got a feeling they just gonna say it ain’t covered
Personally I lost all sympathy for you after reading that. Have you done anything to the bike such as check it's safe? It's your only form of transport aside your legs so it was only a matter of time before something "unexpected" happened to it.

marcuspassey

Pedelecer
Jan 27, 2019
Personally I lost all sympathy for you after reading that. Have you done anything to the bike such as check it's safe? It's your only form of transport aside your legs so it was only a matter of time before something "unexpected" happened to it.
lol the monitor is hanging off because the housing broke, its not clean because i didnt clean it this week and the bald tyre well that is my fault. The suntour system has always gone wrong always turning off with some error code

Last edited:

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
The display housing is fragile, mine cracked in normal use, it didn't get hit by anything. If you read the reviews on the Crossfire-e on the Halfords site, someone on there has had 2-3 of them replaced under warranty. Mine was replaced without any problem by my local Halfords.
You need to keep on top of maintenance, especially during the winter and especially if you rely on it as your daily commuter.
Make sure tyres have good tread (reduces risk of punctures) and are the correct pressures. Chain is clean and lubed regularly. Brake pads are replaced when needed. Gear cable is lubed. Check nuts/bolts every month or so. Grease (lithium) battery contacts on display and battery. Grease nuts and exposed chrome to keep from rusting. Check spoke tension, especially the rear hub, check for loose and snapped spokes (the Suntour HESC rear hub is pretty torquey and can snap spokes for heavier riders)

Reactions: marcuspassey

marcuspassey

Pedelecer
Jan 27, 2019
The display housing is fragile, mine cracked in normal use, it didn't get hit by anything. If you read the reviews on the Crossfire-e on the Halfords site, someone on there has had 2-3 of them replaced under warranty. Mine was replaced without any problem by my local Halfords.
You need to keep on top of maintenance, especially during the winter and especially if you rely on it as your daily commuter.
Make sure tyres have good tread (reduces risk of punctures) and are the correct pressures. Chain is clean and lubed regularly. Brake pads are replaced when needed. Gear cable is lubed. Check nuts/bolts every month or so. Grease (lithium) battery contacts on display and battery. Grease nuts and exposed chrome to keep from rusting. Check spoke tension, especially the rear hub, check for loose and snapped spokes (the Suntour HESC rear hub is pretty torquey and can snap spokes for heavier riders)
good advice I do a bit of that not all cheers

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
take it to a bike park if they give you a new one.
then you can take back what is left of it to halfords on the way back for a full refund ;)

Reactions: wheeliepete

marcuspassey

Pedelecer
Jan 27, 2019
yeah my housing just broke apart never even touched it really