Evans Pinnacle Mercury E-Bike

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Just wondered what peoples thoughts were on the new Pinnacle e-bike from Evans powered by a Bafang hub motor?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It looks OK to me -not bad for the money. 10Ah battery will get a 90kg not too fit rider about 30 miles on moderately hilly roads. That looks like a new Bafang Control panel. The control system might be crappy, though adequate. Only a test will tell.

Reactions: D C

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Apart from buying a kit there does not appear to be anything comparable(available) out there at the moment at this price level.

Lotus

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 4, 2020
I've been looking at this bike for a ages, I already have a cannondale hybrid non electric in silver to which this would be a nice upgrade, however its still £1100 and for that price I want a bit more but still lovely looking bike.

SilverMLH

Just Joined
Mar 29, 2021
Just wondered what peoples thoughts were on the new Pinnacle e-bike from Evans powered by a Bafang hub motor?
Agree with another reply the range of the bike is very poor infact Evans themselves responded to a complaint I had with the bike, and I quote: "On average depending on how you use bike, the terrine on, and the riders weight,the battery mileage will vary, however on avg between 10-15 miles for this size of battery is correct". I was only getting 10 to 12 miles on full charge even with only using lower level of assist most of the time.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I was only getting 10 to 12 miles on full charge even with only using lower level of assist most of the time.
There's something not right about that. I agree with vfr400: even a 120kg lard-arse like me can get 30 miles quite easily on a mix of power levels and terrain - inc 15% hills - from a 10-11Ah battery - with both a friends rear-hub drive or my own 2 crank drives/3 batteries. I've had 36 miles at best being careful with a little capacity to spare.

Every now and then we have posters here claiming they're only getting 2 miles out of a 20Ah battery, ergo the e-bike under discussion must be crap... perhaps in these cases, it's just a bad battery? Anything Bafang driven is pretty well regarded/dependable, so it's doubtful any fault lies there.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Agree with another reply the range of the bike is very poor infact Evans themselves responded to a complaint I had with the bike, and I quote: "On average depending on how you use bike, the terrine on, and the riders weight,the battery mileage will vary, however on avg between 10-15 miles for this size of battery is correct". I was only getting 10 to 12 miles on full charge even with only using lower level of assist most of the time.
10 to 12 miles would be about right for a 5Ah battery. You should test it to see if you've been cheated. It can also happen if your LCD is set to 48v instead of 36v, so check that.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My 6ah with LG HG2 is 12s, on low assist 24.5 miles decided to recharge as it was at 3.54v so did have a few more miles in it still maybe another 5 or 6.