Exactly what is the 'Rat trap' for

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Many cycle pannier racks including both of my own have a very strong spring device looking like a large trap for rats.
How is this supposed to work?
Other than a newspaper or something thin, I cannot see how else it operates.

Reactions: Wheel-E

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Waterproofs like a rolled up cape are the traditional use for these Mike. That's why the leading edge is usually turned down to retain the roll in place when the trap is inclined upwards.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Waterproofs like a rolled up cape are the traditional use for these Mike. That's why the leading edge is usually turned down to retain the roll in place when the trap is inclined upwards.
I had also always wondered about the "rat trap "

Good to know [emoji106]

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
From back in the days before Bungee cord was invented. Another historical wart... I don't and won't have one, probably too many bad memories of bloody and bruised fingers... :rolleyes:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
From back in the days before Bungee cord was invented. Another historical wart... I don't and won't have one, probably too many bad memories of bloody and bruised fingers... :rolleyes:
But bungees are a source of numerous nasty injuries causing A & E attendances. It's usually due to the end of an overstretched one slipping from one's grasp or the attached end releasing and flicking forcefully upwards. They've caused some very nasty eye injuries.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
1. choose correct length
2. never over-stretch
3. use the attach points which are on all modern racks
4. no more rat trap!

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
1. choose correct length
2. never over-stretch
3. use the attach points which are on all modern racks
4. no more rat trap!
I gave an agree, but like to keep number 4. It can be very useful in a variety of ways, particularly for the original purpose of holding a cape.

Among other things I've used it a few times to retain the odd road kill pheasant where it had been struck and killed by a vehicle but not run over. Cheaper than the butchers and no shotgun pellets in it.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I gave an agree, but like to keep number 4. It can be very useful in a variety of ways, particularly for the original purpose of holding a cape.

Among other things I've used it a few times to retain the odd road kill pheasant where it had been struck and killed by a vehicle but not run over. Cheaper than the butchers and no shotgun pellets in it.
How do we know that it was road kill?
Or did you find some fiendish way of trapping pheasants?

• :D
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
How do we know that it was road kill?
Or did you find some fiendish way of trapping pheasants?
We've got lanes that are used by fast traffic dodging congestion on the main routes and the wildlife suffers. It's the trucks that get the pheasants when they can't gain enough height in time. There's little injury, I think they die of shock more than anything.

• Informative
Reactions: mike killay

jwm

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2014
Hampshire
Many cycle pannier racks including both of my own have a very strong spring device looking like a large trap for rats.
How is this supposed to work?
Other than a newspaper or something thin, I cannot see how else it operates.
it's the first thing I put the bolt croppers through, I've never seen the point of them, pannier bags and bungees all the way!

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
it's the first thing I put the bolt croppers through, I've never seen the point of them, pannier bags and bungees all the way!
They come from the days of saddle bags when no-one in Britain used panniers, and there were no bungees back then either.

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
We've got lanes that are used by fast traffic dodging congestion on the main routes and the wildlife suffers. It's the trucks that get the pheasants when they can't gain enough height in time. There's little injury, I think they die of shock more than anything.
Crikey, How ugly are the drivers.

• :D
Reactions: Danidl and flecc

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
Bungee's can be very dangerous, in a local shopping centre in Perth a few years ago, a 16-year-old was killed by one. He and many other youngsters were employed to collect shopping trolleys, and they used bungees to couple them together. One day it slipped out of his fingers and caught him in the neck and killed him, a real tragedy. Work practices were changed after this incident.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've just remembered I had another use for the carrier sping clip.

On my Dutch throwover panniers I slit and hemmed the cross panel so I could use the sping clip to hold the pannier set in place. It worked well, here's a photo showing that:

Reactions: daveboy