Expensive mistake

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Well this has been an expensive first episode in buying my first electric bike, my own fault though, I was given good advice and help on here but chose not to take it all on board. I tried out a couple of e bikes locally,but was not willing to spend £1800 + on one and instead bought blind online. Nothing wrong with that you may well say, but I advise anyone thinking of doing this to try before you buy. I purchased a Kudos City at a bargain price of £645, nothing wrong with the bike looks or build at all, just its to dam big for me,I have changed seat and post but still don't feel safe or comfortable on it at all,and now know I never will. So I am now going to have to take a huge hit on selling it, tried part ex for more expensive bikes but even though the bike is just two weeks old there not interested. So its going on EBay this weekend for £450. Expensive mistake : ( I'm not giving up on e-bikes,but will be more carefully next time,and take on board advice :)

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
It really sounds to me like only something like this will be any good to you.

C

Cyclezee

It is good to know that you are not giving up.

It has been a learning curve all be it an expensive one.

All the best with the sale and better luck next time.

Pabs

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 29, 2010
It might be useful to let forum members know what size this bike might to suitable. Also, the supplier should give dimensions on the size of the bike.

All the best and hope you get most of the loss.

Pabs

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
I bet you get more than £450 for it (if you list it as an auction).

Minimise your loss by not spending £1800 on your next bike, there are many cheaper alternatives that will fit you.

Please let us know when it's listed.

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
I bet you get more than £450 for it (if you list it as an auction).

Minimise your loss by not spending £1800 on your next bike, there are many cheaper alternatives that will fit you.

Please let us know when it's listed.
Why not make a offer now ?!

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
Why not make a offer now ?!
erm...because I don't want it.

Nothing wrong with the bike at all and a real bargain, but I have other plans.

The only reason I want to look at the listing is because I'm curious to see how the sale goes, I have been following poor Denwyn's plight since he started posting.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Well this has been an expensive first episode in buying my first electric bike, my own fault though, I was given good advice and help on here but chose not to take it all on board. I tried out a couple of e bikes locally,but was not willing to spend £1800 + on one and instead bought blind online. Nothing wrong with that you may well say, but I advise anyone thinking of doing this to try before you buy. I purchased a Kudos City at a bargain price of £645, nothing wrong with the bike looks or build at all, just its to dam big for me,I have changed seat and post but still don't feel safe or comfortable on it at all,and now know I never will. So I am now going to have to take a huge hit on selling it, tried part ex for more expensive bikes but even though the bike is just two weeks old there not interested. So its going on EBay this weekend for £450. Expensive mistake : ( I'm not giving up on e-bikes,but will be more carefully next time,and take on board advice :)
I would give Kudos a ring asking how much they offer to have it back for refund.

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
Clearly Denwyn wants shot of it, and willing to take a £200 loss. There must be someone who is looking to buy there first e-bike, then this is got to be a bargain give-away price.

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
An auction is the way to go, no reserve and 0.99p starting price, it gets the attention of lots of bidders then. If you do a Buy It Now at £450 it may not sell, or even sell for that where an auction may get you £500 or more.

My first ebike, a cyclamatic sold for £450 on there, and I only paid £400 for it new. As it happens I bought it on a special offer and when I came to sell it new ones had gone up to £500. I was pretty lucky, but maybe you will be too.

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
I would give Kudos a ring asking how much they offer to have it back for refund.
But then he has to pay to ship it back to them.

On eBay, you can insist buyer collects.

(you can also ask for cash on collection to avoid Paypal fees)

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
An auction is the way to go, no reserve and 0.99p starting price, it gets the attention of lots of bidders then. If you do a Buy It Now at £450 it may not sell, or even sell for that where an auction may get you £500 or more.
Absolutely agree, nothing puts bidders off more than a high starting price.

Also it's not a bad idea to time the listing to end at 10pm on a Saturday when many bidders will be lagered up! :D

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
I am afraid i didn't bother asking Kudos to take it back, did mention it was to big for me in a email to them, only thing they did was to advise trying different seat post and saddle, and i would have no trouble in selling the bike on, never really expected them to take it back at all. Have no problems with Kudos as it wss my stupid mistake in buying it and i have to take the consequences

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
In all seriousness I'd really like to see a body shot of you sat on the bike.
To late for that, i'm afraid. the bike has got to go ASAP, in order to fund the purchase of a more suitable bike. : )

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
To late for that, i'm afraid. the bike has got to go ASAP, in order to fund the purchase of a more suitable bike. : )
Well I believe you are about to continue making expensive mistakes.

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Well I believe you are about to continue making expensive mistakes.
No I won't be making any more mistakes,I'm not going to buy blind, will want a test ride before I buy, and if the price is right I will buy from local dealers. No more impulse buying on line. Can't honestly see what a picture of me on the bike would prove, I sit on it and my foot won't touch the ground when I stop, so sudden stops are not easy,wouldn't say its brilliant if I ease out of the saddle either. I didn't have this problem with my very old Raleigh, also thinking about it now the battery at high level behind the seat may also contribute to my not feeling comfortable or safe on the bike either,bit top heavy. Its not that I'm short,just this bike does not suit me, OK I'm no youngster at 65, but I'm not past riding bikes, I ride my motorcycle regularly, and have had motorbikes most of my life and have felt safe on most of them. I will probably look for a crank driven bike,with the battery low in the frame next time, may be a step through, although I would prefer a cross bar style if I can find a suitable one I can try first.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
From what I've read on all your threads it just does not make sense, hence why I want to see a photo. When I stand next to my bike the top of the saddle is level with my belt line. Your bike looks tiny in comparison especially I imagine with the solid seat post.

It sounds like you want to sit much lower on a bike than is actually the correct riding position, I'd hazard a guess that what you think is an ideal saddle height is actually at least four inches lower than the correct position.

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
A Kudos City weighs in at close to 30 kilos...this's too much for the average out of condition old guy like myself who's looking to get into ebiking.

I recently bought a Woosh Sirroco CD which despite the heavy battery weighs only 25kilos and because it's small, feels even lighter...I've proved it'll do 50 miles on a charge, I suspect 70 can be expected.
....It's fast, comfortable and virtually silent running.

If I'm as happy with it in 12 months as I am now I will be well pleased.