Experience with Tonsheng 250W kit and making it headless.

vonkas

Just Joined
Jun 7, 2021
Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 20.25.17.png

Bought a few weeks ago, I mounted the kit in an alloy folding bike. The idea was to create an ebike that was as simple as possible to use around town and that could be taken in the car to other destinations. The kit came complete with all the wires, a display, sensors etc. I was pleased when everything worked as advertised. However I found the display distracting and the 4 power levels surplus. Set to level 4, the highest, was perfect as you adjust the power with your feet anyway. Coming from a Bafang background I knew about a "stealth" installation without display and omitting most of the wiring. I wondered if something similar can be done with the TSDZ2 motor. I investigated and measured the various voltages on the motor connector and came to a conclusion that appeared surprisingly simple. I implemented it and lo & behold - it works a treat like this:
Switch on the power on the battery itself. Check charge state on the battery check panel. Then just ride. The motor behaves exactly like level 4 and has no speed restriction other than its power. This is how I will hand over the bike to my girlfriend who does not like dials and switches, she just wants to ride!
I have tested it over a week's riding and there no drawbacks at all. Ride, stop and park, walk away, come back and pedal. Just like a normal bicycle but easier. Perfect.
I ended up removing all the wires, sensors and the display. I bridged 2 pins in the 8 pin motor connector with a PC motherboard jumper (perfect fit!) and sealed it with a rubber cap. So, the only wires on the bike are the heavy pair between the motor and the battery.

Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 15.04.20.png

Last edited: