Ezee bikes on trains

Fat Girl

Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2007
Hilly Cotswolds
Has anyone ever been refused travel on a train with their ezee bike?

We want to do a commute to Bristol and back some days and thought we'd ask here first if anyone has had any problems getting on a train with their bike.
thanks
Mil

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
One member did post a while back that some train companies didn't allow powered bikes but another member replied with a simple answer - remove and carry the battery separately, then the bike is not powered. I'm not sure how that would stand up in practice but would be difficult to dispute, and probably not worth the company delaying a train over.

As it's all change with the rail franchises I guess the rules will be changing with the new companies in some areas.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Andy (member aaaannnnddddyyyy) bought my Giant Lafree Twist e-bike a few days ago as he reported in here, and rode it to London's Liverpool Street station and then took it on the train to Norfolk without problems, and another member takes a Quando into Central London by train daily. Although that does fold in half, it's still a large bike, much bigger than most folders.

I think some commuter train services can't accept them, but on main lines it's down to the franchise running that area. I think it's best just to treat it as a bike and not mention electric, since after all, according to law they are just bicycles and not motor vehicles of any kind. It that's good enough for the government and the law, it should be good enough for the train companies and by only reporting it as a bicycle you are not in any way misrepresenting it.

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
i know for certain that GNER demand you have a seat reservation or you wont be allowed to take it on board, even though their luggage van could carry 25 as usually empty.

aaannndddyyy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2007
Norwich Norfolk
I have taken a few electric bike on trains recently, the conductors have all been friendly and helpful there has never been any problem for me, it’s worth reading each train companies policies before traveling.
On standard mainline trains, cycles can be carried in Coach A at the end of the train in a secure area adjacent to the Senior Conductor's office. On mainline trains reservations are required it is best to reserve your place in advance, as the four cycle spaces on each train can fill up quickly. However, provided space is available, those turning up on the day will be allocated a space on a first come-first served basis. All of ONES local trains include modern, easy-to-use cycle-carriage equipment and the on train staff will assist any traveler.
Eclectic wheel chairs are allowed to travel by train so I can’t see any reason why eclectic bike should be a problem as long as they are secure.

rooel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
"Tandems, tricycles, cycle trailers, motorcycles, mopeds and motorised cycles are not carried on any of our services.

Light scooters for mobility purposes CAN now be carried on First ScotRail services, subject to certain conditions..."
First Scotrail conditions of carriage for bicycles.

Note the relevant word is "motorised", which I think means fitted with a motor, rather than "motorable". If so, just removing the battery would not help as the bike remains motorised, ie fitted with a motor.

Also, I think the EAPC regulations do not say electric bikes are not motor vehicles. What they do say is that for the purposes of certain Road Traffic Acts (licenses, helmets, etc) they are not motor vehicles.

In theory therefore for other purposes electric bikes could be treated as motor vehicles, banned from cyclepaths, bus/cycle lanes, and denied access under the right-to-roam legislation.

This muddle, like the failure to merge the EU regulations with the pre-existing EAPC regulations is typical of the Department of Transport's obsession with motor transport: where cycling is concerned there is a lack of attention to detail and joined-up thinking.

In the meantime, however, I hope everybody will, like me, promote the idea that the law says what in fact it fails to say: EAPCs are not motor vehicles.

And to avoid being turned away from a train, just put the battery in the saddle bag, a useful thing to do anyway as the weight can then be distributed over two arms for carrying on and off.

And I dare say, if my Roo El, or other folders, are enclosed in a bag (even a stout bin bag) they will be accepted as luggage, and no-one will be bothered whether they are powered by a couple of 100 watt motors or a 1000cc diesel.

Last edited:

rooel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
I should add that I have found this on the Department of Transport site:

"Electrically assisted pedal cycles (EAPCs)
10.3.4 These come under the 1983 EAPC regulations and provided they comply with them, they can legally be used where ordinary pedal cycles can[emphasis added]. EAPCs can only be ridden by someone of 14 years or more. They are not classed as motor vehicles for the purposes of Road Traffic Legislation. The requirements for a conventional (single-seat) assisted bicycle are that it:

has a motor not capable of exceeding 200w continuous output;
weighs not more than 40kg unladen;
has pedals which can propel the machine; and
has a motor which does not apply power above 15 mph."​
However until I find a copy of the EAPC regulations online, I cannot be sure that this is a correct interpretation of the law. There is no guarantee that the Deparment knows the correct interpretation of its own legislation.

Here is an extract from the Road Traffic Act 1988:

"189 Certain vehicles not to be treated as motor vehicles (1) For the purposes of the Road Traffic Acts—
(a) a mechanically propelled vehicle being an implement for cutting grass which is controlled by a pedestrian and is not capable of being used or adapted for any other purpose,
(b) any other mechanically propelled vehicle controlled by a pedestrian which may be specified by regulations made by the Secretary of State for the purposes of this section and section 140 of the [1984 c. 27.] Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, and
(c) an electrically assisted pedal cycle of such a class as may be prescribed by regulations so made,
is to be treated as not being a motor vehicle."

Note the words for the purposes of the Road Traffic Acts

What about for the purpose of travel by train, etc?

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And of course there's a real possibility, probability even, that these UK laws will no longer have force shortly, as should have happened over five years ago, but now at the instigation of the Royal Mail's request to tidy up the law.

Then the interpretation situation under EU law will need to be rediscovered, so I doubt the DoT will bother with spending any time on this currently, other than the tidying up that the Royal Mail has requested.