eZee frame failures

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
Does anyone have any information about frame failures in some eZee bikes a few years ago?

I have just discovered from reporting my frame number to Wai Won Ching that mine is one of the ones that should have been replaced by 50 Cycles, the distributors at that time, who did not honour their obligations, despite having been supplied with replacement frames; part of their big falling-out with eZee at the time. He said "You are advised not to use it, if you do you do so at your own risk."

I have not managed to glean any further details of what sort of failures took place, or what proportion, under what sort of circumstances and in what form a failure might occur, and whether there are any warning signs

Obviously I am not keen to ditch the bike as I love it (have just sold my other bike). It is at least four years old, I think; I have had it for a year and done 1500 miles on it, and have scrutinised it all over very closely.

How paranoid should I be?

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
So....the worms continue to come out of 50cycles woodwork !!

It amazes me what some companies think they can get away with....Im a great believer in 'what goes around...comes around'.....and they could have a lot coming their way yet.

Thank goodness Ezee are now in the capable hands of John who might be able to advise you more Roger.

Is there no way of testing the frame further ?

I hope it turns out to be OK after all. Good Luck :)

Lynda :)

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
I have no info or experience on this frame problem. On any frame, the bits to check are those that are most stressed, and those that would cause an accident in the case of catastrophic failure . So check especially, drop outs front and rear and the area around them, Fork crown, and joints between tubes and steering head tube, and finally joints between tubes and bottom bracket shell.
Sooner than scrap the bike, if you are really worried, remove paint from problem/suspect areas back to bare metal. Check for cracks with a magnifying glass. Apart from fork/drop out failure, you are likely to get some warning, as in the bike does not feel right. You can always repaint the frame after paint stripping. Regular cleaning/inspection of any bike is always worth while.
We are, in effect our own MOT inspectors.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Nearly all the broken frames I've seen broke at the seat tube so that you couldn't clamp the seat pin. I,m sure Flecc will have the info on the Ezee specific problem. Where is he?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It as some Sprint models that suffered the failures, and it was often a parting of the main step-through tube from the steering column tube at the headstock. Only a small number actually suffered the failure, but for obvious reasons the whole batch was earmarked for replacements. Pending any other action I'd recommend regular inspection of the join and adjacent tubing in that headstock area starting immediately.

There was also one incidence I know of where the seat tube broke, but that was on a heavily souped up model used at very high road speeds so it may not have been relevant.

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
Thanks for that information, Tony. I shall certainly be keeping a very close eye on that area (and the others that were suggested - thanks, guys) from now on, though I would hope that after this amount of time I can be reasonably sanguine that my bike is not one of the dodgy ones.

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
I have just received another email from WWC, and it confirms what Tony said above.

"If you are going to use the bike, You have to check regularly any sign of fracture at the top tube near the head tube where the reinforcement gusset ends. the stress are concentrated near the ends of the weldings. Al alloy tends to break quite suddenly from fatigue. Please be careful."

I shall!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As you say, I think you are safe after all this time Roger, but a glance before each ride is still best.

I know for certain that not all the batch were recalled so you're not alone, but the headstock failures were all early in life and none heard of since.

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
Incidentally, WWC told me: "The motor is our first generation BLDC with planetary gears".
Any idea roughly how that would date the bike?

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
I would take the recommended advise about checking unless you live in a very hilly environment where you will regularly be doing very high speeds down hill, as basically you will be playing Russian roulette.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Incidentally, WWC told me: "The motor is our first generation BLDC with planetary gears".
Any idea roughly how that would date the bike?
That motor was from introduction in 2004 through to 2009, but since yours was one of the potentially faulty frame batch, it's almost certainly late 2006 or the first half of 2007.

C

Cyclezee

Flecc is no doubt correct about the date of manufacture, he has been around longer than I have;)

I thought it might have been older.

Such manufacturing faults are very unlikely to get through quality control these days, each batch of frames is rigorously tested in the factory.

When I was at the factory I saw 6 Yuba Mundo frames rejected and returned to the manufacturer because there were a couple of small dents under the paintwork on the crossbar.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
cant you get hold of a frame and transfer parts over.....I certainly would not feel safe riding an inherently flawed bike downhill fast.....