Ezee front hub rhythm machine!

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I've done about 2500 miles with my conversion now, it's hauled me up and around the hills of west Wales and made me laugh going up stupidly steep stuff I wouldn't walk up. So far so great.
However, just lately, there's been an intermittent rubbing or catching sound from the front wheel. Bike has tektro mech discs, likely cause I thought, so up on the stand and fiddle fiddle. I know now, for sure, that it's not the brakes.
It seems to happen after long climbs (motors not hot, I checked) above around 10-11 mph there is this rhythmic rubbing sound, the speed of which increases with road speed. Odd thing is that if I turn power off or stop pedaling, it stops. Today, going down a long incline, doing 25-30 mph, with the power on - noise was there. Turn power off at display or stop pedaling then the noise stops. Bike rolls nicely and quietly. Power back on, then noise starts again even though this is well over the cut off speed. So how come? Is it possible it's something magnetic? Cyclezee has suggested stripping the motor and examining the gears and re-packing with grease. But if it was the gears, would they make a noise over the cut off speed, wouldn't it be free wheeling?
Never seen inside one of these for myself, so a newby where that's concerned.

We're off to Cornwall in June, with the bikes, and I'd like to try and find out what this is before then. If I need to strip the motor down, let's have at it. Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks in advance
Ben

motomech

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 19, 2016
Tucson Az.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Thanks Momotech, that's a cheeky repair, I like it. Not sure that it's the problem I have though. Haven't noticed any lack of drive, just the rubbing noise. It did it again yesterday after a 2.5 mile climb. Kept it up across some undulations then down a long incline to the pub (15 miles in all). After dinner and a swift half of guiness, it was fine for the 5 mile ride home (no long climbs going back).
It's got me puzzled, I keep thinking it's heat somehow, though it never feels hot.