Ezee Li Charging Time

DBCohen

Pedelecer
May 2, 2007
Manchester
I followed the good advice on here and drained my new Cadence battery twice, fully recharging it each time.

I have now switched to a mode where I cycle from and to work every day, charging the battery at the office.

My journey profile is around 6.5 miles each way. The journey home is harder on the battery, as around two thirds of the trip are uphill to varying degrees. Same route each way, so the corresponding trip to the office has a lot more coasting and less assistance!

However, I have been surprised at the time it takes to get a green light on the charger for this. I was expecting it to be half of the full charging time at worst - around 2.5 to 3 hours. But it is in fact taking four hours plus to get a green fully charged light.

Is this normal in everyone else's experience?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A lot depends on how much the bike is doing and how much you contribute, but after 13 miles and hills on the second half, I'd expect well over half charging time.

The charge time isn't linear. For example, on my Q bike (Quando), a 3.6 mile trip this morning represents about 14% of the range on that particular Li-ion battery, but the recharge took exactly one and a quarter hours. I noted it exactly as I was waiting to go out again!

So if the time was linear, that would represent a full charge time of NINE hours, clearly nonsensical.

In summary, you've nothing to worry about. :)

DBCohen

Pedelecer
May 2, 2007
Manchester
:)

Reassuring, as ever. Thank you, good sir.

As a counterpoint, fell off for the first time this evening :mad: - drove over a wet tram rail, and my front wheel slipped in to it, and then out of it. I ended up turned around with the bike on top of me.

Bike seems OK (good thing it landed on top of me!) and I got up with a grazed shin and some injured pride. The fact that it was caused in part by another mode of more practical urban transport generates some irony, though...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In the Croydon area I have those to contend with too. I especially have to watch out for the T bike's skinny tyres dropping into the grooves where they cross the road at narrow angles.

When I was young and trams were still quite common, car drivers all made allowances for cyclists where there were tram rails. Today's dumb drivers haven't a clue how cyclists need to cross rail grooves at a wide angle, won't leave room and blast horns when a cyclist like me insists on taking the necessary space to do that.

At least the planners put "dog legs" into our cyclepaths which all cross the lines at exact right angles, so very safe even when wet.

Last edited: