Ezee Liv or Windsor LPX Lipol

KidBriar

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 11, 2007
Hi,

I've not yet purchased an e bike, but I'm looking at either the Ezee Liv or Windsor LPX LiPol. I wonder if anyone has any advice. Thanks.

gkilner

Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2007
West Yorkshire
Hello,

From what I have read both are very good bikes, with the majority probably favouring the Ezee Liv.

If you live in an area with hills the Liv will certainly be the favoured option, however it probably will cost a little more to buy. The Liv has shot up in price over recent months, mainly because the NiMh battery is no longer available - or very hard to get hold of.

I'm sure you will get more in-depth replies a little later - I'm still quite new to electric bikes!:)

Last edited:

KidBriar

Sep 11, 2007
Thanks for your input. I'm in Doncaster so there aren't that many hills to negotiate - I think I'm more inclined towards the Windsor because it's a step through, but before I buy, I'm going to test drive the two! I look forward to hearing how you're getting along!:)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As gkilner says, the Liv is very much more powerful with a 36 volt system and good on hills, but it's heavier at 28 kilos as a result. It uses throttle control of the power, whether in the pedal-all-the time Pedelec mode, or the throttle only mode.

The Windsor has a 24 volt and less powerful system, but will still climb most hills, just slower going up them. Partly through the lower power system, it's 22 kilos so much lighter.

Both have very competitive battery prices, the Windsor 24 volt 8 Ah one at £199 a little cheaper than the Liv 36 volt 10 Ah one at £250.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Jen. I've removed that reference, I believe the throttle does not act while pedelec is in use. Can you confirm that? On the Liv, the throttle still works when pedelec is in use, so power can be cut while in pedelec mode.

Jennykins

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2007
Lancashire
From what I recall the 3 position switch controlled 2 power modes (see other thread).

1 was Pedelec only (ie nothing happened when you twisted the throttle).
2 enabled the throttle (ie whether pedalling or not, twisting the throttle gave (more) power).

jen.

(about to purchase a Windsor NiMh)

KidBriar

Sep 11, 2007
Thanks guys for all the input. I'm going to Powered Bicycles in Nottingham this afternoon for a test drive(they are the nearest stockists to where I live) and I'll let you know how I get on!:)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Jen, cleared it up. References elswhere to no "power off" option made me think no twistgrip now, although I know it used to have one.

Surely using it in twistgrip mode with the twistgrip closed is power off. :confused:

CameraDealer

Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2007
Bolton
I have both and there's no comparison as far as I'm concerned. I bought an eZee Liv for me and a Powacycle Windsor for my wife. We only chose the Windsor for the 'step-through' design.

The Liv is far more powerful and far more sensible. You only use power when you twist the grip whereas on the Windsor the pedelec mode is on permanently unless you switch off the battery. But of course if you do that you have to stop to switch it on again if you come to a hill where you'd like assistance.

Consequently on the Windsor, when you're pedalling on a flat road and wish to conserve power the pedelec mode is helping you regardless and using the battery.

The stupidity of the PowaCycle's design is even more infuriating as there's a three way on/off switch on the handlebars but the off position doesn't work! And before anyone suggests that I've a faulty switch this is design feature and has been confirmed by PoWaCycle.

It's a pity as it lets down what is a fairly reasonable bike. It is lighter than the Liv and has more gears but if I could turn back the clock I'd buy two Livs.

Jennykins

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2007
Lancashire
Hi Flecc,

not sure I was clear on 2 above, heres another go.

1 was Pedelec only (ie nothing happened when you twisted the throttle).

2 enabled the throttle, pedelec stayed enabled but twisting the throttle gave (more) power. You could just pedal for the pedelec power OR Don't pedal but just use the throttle OR Use both pedelec and throttle at the same time.

Jen.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Jen, so the pedelec operates even in throttle only mode. As Camera dealer says, a bit odd, and like him, I prefer the Liv system of the pedelec off when in throttle only mode.

I know the controller's power cut-off system is a rather simple affair, indicating a minimal controller spec, but I suppose at £499 for a quite good quality e-bike that can be sold with some support and through dealers with their margins involved, something has to give.

KidBriar

Sep 11, 2007
Thanks guys. Having test driven both the Windsor LPX and Salisbury LPX, I've decided on the Salisbury LPX LiPol rather than the 'sit up and beg' style of the Windsor. Had the test drive and the only difference between the Windsor and the Salisbury is the style of the handlebars. I did consider the Ezee Liv and I note the comments made by CameraDealer for which I am grateful. I can see the probelm and frustration of having to stop and turn the battery on when you come to a hill and off on the flat, but I'll probably cycle on the 'out run' with the battery off and then turn it on for the ride home! My commute to work is only 4 miles and isn't hilly at all, but after a day in the office it will be nice to be assisted on the way home!

For leisure purposes again, I'll probably start off without battery assist; I don't usually do too many miles at the weekend, maybe 25 or 30 for both Saturday and Sunday and I don't come across too many steep hills, so I can see the Salisbury being fine for my needs at a reasonable price. I enjoy the ride from Selby to York (part of the Trans Pennine Trail) which is along a flat, former train line so there isn't too much effort and is only about a 30 (possibly less) mile round trip. I don't have too much problem on the outward journey, but after a few hours shopping in York, it always seemed a little daunting on the way back!

My Salisbury is being delivered next Saturday and the guys in Nottingham were very helpful plus I got a good deal with front and rear lights thrown in and full assembly of the bike for £599 so l can't complain. :)

I'm looking forward to it being delivered and I'll let you know how I fair; maybe CameraDealer, I'll be grovelling an apology, who knows!! :eek:

Thanks again for all your views.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's a good deal KidBriar, and the area and rides you describe are ideal Salisbury territory. High power and big batteries can be wasted in such areas, and six kilos lighter is welcome if you ride without power on as you intend.

I look forward to hearing your further experiences when you get the bike.

Last edited:

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
KidBriar,
I hope you are happy with your Powacycle

Flecc,
I think a better way to think of it is that the Powacycle is a pedelec, rather than an e-bike. However it also has a throttle boost, which you can enable via the switch. As such there is no throttle-only mode.

When I ride my wife's Powacycle, I always have the switch on, so I have the option of twisting the throttle for a quick spurt of acceleration.

Having tried both, I prefer this system to the Powabyke/Ezee system where you have to keep the throttle twisted to get any power, even in pedelec mode, as it is far easier on the wrist.

Ideally you might want a switch that gave you the full range of options, ie:
1. pedelec mode not requiring throttle but throttle boost enabled
2. pedelec mode not requiring throttle but throttle boost disabled (ie pedelec as defined in EU regulations)
3. pedelec off - throttle enabled (ie e-bike)
4. pedelec off - throttle disabled (ie 'off')

The Powacycle switch gives options 1 and 2 (and 4 if the battery is switched off), but not 3. My Powabyke (I believe Ezee is the same) has options 3 and 4, plus an additional one (that I don't think many people use) of a throttle that only works if you pedal.

These things are much more complicated when you try to describe or visualise them than they are if you sit on the bike - I am sure you of all people would not find it confusing if you rode one!

Best,

Frank

subevo

Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2007
hi, ive just bought an ezee liv after the same dilemma .powacycle salisbury or ezee liv.what swayed it for me was the highly recommended rating from A to B magazine and also that it had a more powerful motor.with the motor only it struggles up hills and was a bit of a dissapointment.( i was going to send it back) i weigh 12 and a half stone. however if you assist it by pedaling ,it will fly up most hills at 15-16mph.maybe mines is duff but i was expecting strong performance with the motor alone.on a flat road it can go along at up to 19mph but if you release the throttle you can usually pedal at that speed also. i have cut my journey home time by 10 minutes due to the higher speed uphills compared to my lafree.i will post a review shortly.also mr cameradealer where is your review on the ezee liv ? as there are currently none at the moment. if i had the money i would buy the forza but thats too expensive for me at the moment.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think that like many, you were expecting too much of electric bikes Subevo. The Liv is a good performer, but like all of these, it is an electric assist bike, meaning primarily a bike on which the motor assists. They aren't in any way autocycles/mopeds, and even the ones that are powerful enough to pull away by themselves, it's not recommended if the motors are to last.

The legal power limits were deliberately set so that they couldn't perform satisfactorily as power only vehicles, though many manage that on the flat in still air. A few will perform reasonably as all round motor only bikes, but at the cost of doing it at low speeds, about 12 to 13 mph.

CameraDealer

Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2007
Bolton
also mr cameradealer where is your review on the ezee liv ? as there are currently none at the moment. if i had the money i would buy the forza but thats too expensive for me at the moment.[/QUOTE said:
Here's my review on the Liv. You don't exactly need to be a genius to find it.

50cycles Advanced Electric Bikes - eZee Sprint 7 Review

I must say I object to the tone of your post, which implies that I lied about reading a review of this bike.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Camera Dealer, I think there's a misunderstanding here.

Subevo was I'm sure stating that there was no Liv review from you or anyone else on the reviews section of this site, and he is right on that. Most other eZee models are there, but not the Liv. I think it's reasonable for him to look in the site reviews section for a review as I too would have done that. We would welcome you filling in a review form giving your Liv experiences for others to benefit.

Frank, thanks for the clarification. I'd got it ok, but it was the differences in the explanations before which confused. In the end it was as I'd originally understood it before reading any owners accounts! It's a matter of personal preference in the end, rather than one being right or wrong. There's a clear split between those who like pedelec, with or without permanent assistance, or those who prefer throttle. As I'm a lifelong motorcyclist you don't need to ask what I prefer, but I can appreciate why others prefer not having to hold open a throttle all the time.

Last edited:

subevo

Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2007
my apologoies to mr cameradealer.flecc thanks you are 100% correct.no offence was intended.