Ezee NiMh battery - recell?

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
I know the Ezee LiOn batteries cannot be re-celled and new ones are £400+ but does anyone have experience of re-celling the earlier NiMh batteries? Is it possible? What cells?

Thanks Dave

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Very difficult Dave. The cells are in six vertical columns of five cells each, and there's only enough height for untagged and buttonless cells. Pressure contact isn't enough for the currents involved so they have to be soldered on a jig using a double headed soldering iron which heats two cell ends at a time, so that they can be thrust against each other immediately for the solder to set in contact. This is repeated cell by cell with the cells in a column jig. The six columns are then individually bound and then bound together in a 2 x 3 formation with the thermistor between the columns near the top.

Only one member Ian tried this, but without the soldering using contact only but didn't seem confident how it would last in service, he's no longer in the forum.

The eZee thermistor is a Semitec AT-4, part number: 103AT4 Shape 2. If not available, 103AT4 Shape 1 will also work. The main specification is R = 10k, B = 3435.

BillieH

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 13, 2012
Blackburn, Lancashire
Despite this thread being old, it is relevant to me. I have been riding around on an Ezee Quando 2-3 times (about 20 miles) a week except in midwinter, since 2006. Initially the battery took me (laden down) about 16 miles. About 2 years ago this dropped to about 10 or 11, about a year ago about 8 miles. Now I struggle to do a 7 mile round trip, with frequent cutting out on hills, sometimes no response on a fresh charge.

I find the Electric Transport Shop in Bristol offering a recell service. My bike is mechanically in order, and I have had to mess about with the electrics in the past, and am sure the problem is only the battery.

It is a 36V NiMH 10Ah battery, and they recell with lithium polymer, involving purchase of a new charger. I understand these batteries are better, and it is considerably lighter (total outlay - £445).

Does anyone have any experience with this company, or having this type of recell procedure carried out. I want a few more years service..

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You can get the latest genuine eZee Li-polymer 37 volt 10 Ah battery for £325 or the 37 volt 8 Ah for £280, both dropping straight into your bike. They perform perfectly as i know from experience with my eZee bikes, including the Quando. The latest smart fast charger to go with them is £90, so the totals with charger are 10 Ah £415 or 8 Ah £370.

Definitely not worth that recelling option.

Cyclezee shop

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

Welcome to the forum Billie,

As I am sure you know Billie, eZee along with the majority of electric bike manufacturers no longer manufacture NiMh batteries.

The latest LiPo eZee 37v 10Ah batteries are only £325 including delivery from Cyclezee.

They are coverd by a 2 year warranty.

This current generation of eZee battery is proving to have a long life and at 3.2 Kg is much lighter than the old NiMh battery.

The down side is that you will need a new charger, but we can supply a 4 amp one for £90, again including delivery and a 2 year warranty.

Therefore the total cost would be £415.

Regards,

C

Cyclezee

Tony, you beat me to it again, can I put you on the payroll;)

You can get the latest genuine eZee Li-polymer 37 volt 10 Ah battery for £325 or the 37 volt 8 Ah for £280, both dropping straight into your bike. They perform perfectly as i know from experience with my eZee bikes, including the Quando. The latest smart fast charger to go with them is £90, so the totals with charger are 10 Ah £415 or 8 Ah £370.

Definitely not worth that recelling option.

Cyclezee shop

C

Cyclezee

You never have to wait long for an answer on the forum Billie;)