Ezee Quando1...6 years old but un-ridden and kept dry last 5 and a quarter..good condition

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hmm interesting Tony,

I haven't seen a Quando with a 30amp controller, this includes 2 that I own personally, a Quando 1 and 2.

Today I had a customers Quando 2 in the workshop. It dates from 2009 and was originally sold by Onbike, it also has a 20amp controller.
Mine was 2006 John. The Quando was eZee's first e-bike, brought into the UK through 50cycles in 2004/5 and was instantly praised for it's climbing abilities. The Sprint model followed using a very different motor, then as a result of that Quando success Wai Won produced the Torq, simply by using the entire Quando electrical set but using 700c wheels instead of 20" for speed rather than climb ability. Electrically they were identical with 30 amp controllers and producing measured peak power of over 1000 watts. They even had the same range when minimally assisted, 15 miles. That over 1000 watts peak was also measured by member Nick on his bike, who you may remember was the scientist who built a special Crystalite powered bike which swept the board with the awards from the third Presteigne event.

I think it was in 2008 that Wai Won announced his decision to go legal only with all models restricted to 25kph, and the new controllers following may have been the first 20 amp ones. I agree, that 2009 model definitely has a 20 amp controller.

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

Mine was 2006 John. The Quando was eZee's first e-bike, brought into the UK through 50cycles in 2004/5 and was instantly praised for it's climbing abilities. The Sprint model followed using a very different motor, then as a result of that Quando success Wai Won produced the Torq, simply by using the entire Quando electrical set but using 700c wheels instead of 20" for speed rather than climb ability. Electrically they were identical with 30 amp controllers and producing measured peak power of over 1000 watts. They even had the same range when minimally assisted, 15 miles. That over 1000 watts peak was also measured by member Nick on his bike, who you may remember was the scientist who built a special Crystalite powered bike which swept the board with the awards from the third Presteigne event.

It was in 2007 that Wai Won announced his decision to go legal only with all models restricted to 25kph, and the new controllers following a while later may have been the first 20 amp ones. I agree, that 2009 model definitely has a 20 amp controller.
Thanks for the explanation Tony,
As I said I have couple of Quandos, a Mk2 trade in and a Mk1 which I bought several years ago pre Cyclezee.

The same day that I bought the Mk1 Quando I also picked a Mk1 Torq that was in bits, the controller was fried on the Quando so I took the one from the Torq shortened the phase and hall wires and fitted it to the Quando.

Incidentally, Nick bought his Mk1 Torq from me back in the day when it was just a hobby.

I have never stocked the Quando mainly because it is single speed, but a few people do ask a about it.

eZee have new folder now called the Viento, but I guess the Quando will be around for ever.

My daily transport now is a Cadence which I bought from a guy in hilly Halifax, the last place you would expect to find a beach cruiser. I have virtually rebuilt and upgraded that one. I also have another vintage Cadence which an expat brought back from Singapore and kept it in a shed for several years, all it needed was dusting off and fresh battery, I have kept that one original.

Is this starting to get boring;)

keithhazel1961

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 10, 2014
Thanks for the explanation Tony,
As I said I have couple of Quandos, a Mk2 trade in and a Mk1 which I bought several years ago pre Cyclezee.

The same day that I bought the Mk1 Quando I also picked a Mk1 Torq that was in bits, the controller was fried on the Quando so I took the one from the Torq shortened the phase and hall wires and fitted it to the Quando.

Incidentally, Nick bought his Mk1 Torq from me back in the day when it was just a hobby.

I have never stocked the Quando mainly because it is single speed, but a few people do ask a about it.

eZee have new folder now called the Viento, but I guess the Quando will be around for ever.

My daily transport now is a Cadence which I bought from a guy in hilly Halifax, the last place you would expect to find a beach cruiser. I have virtually rebuilt and upgraded that one. I also have another vintage Cadence which an expat brought back from Singapore and kept it in a shed for several years, all it needed was dusting off and fresh battery, I have kept that one original.

no not at all,i had just changed into second gear and you stopped...long is good.

"at the end of the day its night"

C

Cyclezee

no not at all,i had just changed into second gear and you stopped...long is good.
and short is sweet;)

I may regret asking this, but for some reason I may have missed your reason for wanting to sell, is just because of the duff battery?

keithhazel1961

Jun 10, 2014
and short is sweet;)

I may regret asking this, but for some reason I may have missed your reason for wanting to sell, is just because of the duff battery?
No if it was the battery i would buy another,its because.1) Doncaster is a as hilly as Holland,2)i am a carer for the lady next door and such is her condition(non life threatening) that i never and do mean never,know when i will be called to assist her so i dare not be on a journey that i cant get back from inside 5 minutes...
I have to say though that the roads round here are awful with deep sunken drain covers and bumpy roads within a 3 mile radius,This is Finningly ex RAF base and our small estate for sure and probably the others are sort of "private" and we dont seem high on council list of road maintainence as we "own our road"..I'm not sure i would feel too good about quality of my safety if i was free to go gallavanting...even though i would love a full size one similar to an Agutta where i have to pedal and be assisted when it was needed,after all thats what "pedal assisted" means,not just sitting on a "motorised sofa"

Oh i remember now,i bought the Quando as i had bus and train travel from Hull to Doncaster to see my Girlfriend,when i bought the house next door, i then found i could walk to her house without too much trouble ;)..
sorry i cant think short

"at the end of the day.......................... its night"

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Not boring at all John, it's from the days when e-bikes had more character*.

Although the Cadence doesn't suit me, it's a model that has real loyalty from those who get attached to one.

Back on the Quando, of course my Q-bike is based on the original high powered model. Quite a few Torqs suffered 30 amp controller failure, but I never heard of a Quando one failing. That might seem odd, but the overgeared Torq spent lots of time in lower revs accelerating so in the less efficient high consumption region. The lower geared Quando with so much power almost instantly reached maximum speed with just one twirl of the pedals so was always in the most efficient low consumption region, giving the controller an easy time. Probably why the Quando range was as good despite being a third slower.

* A euphemism for breaking down more often!

C

Cyclezee

Not boring at all John, it's from the days when e-bikes had more character*.

Although the Cadence doesn't suit me, it's a model that has real loyalty from those who get attached to one.

Back on the Quando, of course my Q-bike is based on the original high powered model. Quite a few Torqs suffered 30 amp controller failure, but I never heard of a Quando one failing. That might seem odd, but the overgeared Torq spent lots of time in lower revs accelerating so in the less efficient high consumption region. The lower geared Quando with so much power almost instantly reached maximum speed with just one twirl of the pedals so was always in the most efficient low consumption region, giving the controller an easy time. Probably why the Quando range was as good despite being a third slower.

* A euphemism for breaking down more often!
Hi Tony,

Regarding the 30amp controller, I asked WW about this and here is his reply

"We NEVER had a 30 amps controller. In fact serial no. 3620AaLO-- is 36V 20A, ALWAYS 20 amps ( except for a short interim period we have 25 amps with controllers ..Ji--- ) The fuse is 30 amps."

So I don't know where the 30 amps came from?

From all the old Mk1 Torq and Quando models that I have seen the controller serial number starts with 3620AaLO.

Last edited by a moderator:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Certainly the spec never did mention 30 amps, but in the 2006/7 period when the early Li-ion batteries were dying like flies, Wai Won in discussion (bitter arguments!) here about them and the controllers, said the controller was 30 amp capable, Since both Nick and I measured gross peak consumption to over 1000 watts, that would seem to be largely born out. 1000 watts divided by 37 volts nominal = 27 amps. The voltage drop with those old Li-ions would probably have pushed the amperage above that 27 and my checks showed 28.5 amps.

Perhaps our Torqs were from the 25 amp controller period? Mine was supplied June 2006, can you remember the age of the one you sold Nick (Member name Tiberius)?

If the controller limited at 20 amps the peak could only be 740 watts. Whether today's controllers have that high capability I've no idea.

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

Hi Tony,

I can't remember the age of the Mk1 Torq that I sold to Nick, it was a long time ago but if the controller serial number of your or Nicks bike started with Ji, then they would be 25amps.

Justin's, e-bikes.ca show the controller on their website as being 25amp, but that is wrong eZee controllers have all been 20amps worldwide for several years now and are compatible with eZee's 36 and 48v batteries.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well, that doesn't solve the mystery, mine isn't a Ji controller. I guess those appeared in the interim period when lots of changes were being made to the Torq models.

I'm confident in my measurement which was earlier than Nicks, and remember posting my agreement when he posted about his over 1000 watt result. Given his job and sitting on standards committees, I can't imagine him getting it wrong or both of us making errors with identical results.

I'd always thought that the high current draw largely contributed to the failures of the early Li-Mn batteries, since none of the other e-bikes with them at that time suffered remotely like so badly. The two supplied with my Torq I killed in a little over three months and the freebie from 50cycles I nursed to ten months before it died, after which I lived on the Quando's NiMh for a while. It wasn't until the January 2008 test battery from Wai Won that one could match the demand and last almost two years.

It would be interesting to know if today's 3620 controller could deliver such an excess, certainly today's batteries could supply it.

keithhazel1961

Jun 10, 2014
According to the second hand calculator for e-bikes, it's value is £243 now, due to it's age and the fact that the battery will be dud after all that idle time.

The new batteries are not £200, the cheapest listed for the eZee range now is £330:

Battery page at eZee agents website
can you tell me the best place for someone to buy a new battery suitable for the Quando and also will the charger i have still be able to charge the new battery ?
Thanks you

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
CycleZee is the best place for the battery Keith, their prices are competitive.

However, the NiMh charger if you have that version won't be any good for the new lithium batteries, so you'll need a new one as well.

keithhazel1961

Jun 10, 2014
Hi and thanks for reply,i have just checked the battery and it says its a "phylion" is that a Lithium ? the charger says on it thats its a "li=ion battery charger" model hp8204c(10s) and the metal end bit that goes in battery has three prongs ...
regards Keith

keithhazel1961

Jun 10, 2014
That charger is ok Keith, all you need is a battery now.
Thank you for confirming,im more of a newbie then i was 6 years ago..when i logged on to list it again two weeks ago i was stunned to see how many new style..many most peculier.i think lots have jumped on the bike wagon...and the price of the high end bikes..its not a man on basic earnings game anymore, but still the "pedal assist" theory is a fantastic way to allow people with tired legs,aging bodies,the chance to continue to cycle..not forgetting people who live in hill areas...
Regards Keith

keithhazel1961

Jun 10, 2014
postal charges....
can anyone please tell me the cheapest and most reliable electric bike postal service,im looking at 23kg...90cmx80cmx40cm city link say its too big for them,ups say £83+vat...express 48 is £45...not yet sold but a constant question im getting,apart from ones like.."have you put a new battery in it yet?" its going for £250 and ive clearly stated a new battery is £330....lol

C

Cyclezee

postal charges....
can anyone please tell me the cheapest and most reliable electric bike postal service,im looking at 23kg...90cmx80cmx40cm city link say its too big for them,ups say £83+vat...express 48 is £45...not yet sold but a constant question im getting,apart from ones like.."have you put a new battery in it yet?" its going for £250 and ive clearly stated a new battery is £330....lol
https://www.paisleyfreight.com/ £27.50 they use TNT;)