eZee Sprint questions

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
New bike (1) (Large).jpg

I have just bought this bike second-hand. the seller reckoned it is about two years old, but I suspect it may be rather more. Can anyone roughly date it?

It has a shiny silver finish, rather than the current matt. It has dynamo lighting rather than from the battery. It has a v-brake at the front and a disc at the rear. (Oh, and it has had its battery replaced with SLAs, but that's a different story.)

On another tack, the pedelec function requires that you hold the throttle on (in order to select the level of assistance) whilst pedalling. This may well be a standard eZee feature, and, if so, strikes me as daft and the worst of both worlds. Fortunately, there is a switch to enable normal throttle function to be selected. If you have to use the throttle anyway, I can see no point in having the pedelec function (except for EU regs, of course).

Is there any way (short of gaffer-taping the hand-grip) of overcoming this weird system in order to use it as a "normal" pedelec?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's probably from between 2006 and 2008. The rear brake is Shimano's roller brake.

As you've guessed, the pedelec function is an addition to meet EU market rules, the throttle function left in place. It's not ideal, but the problem is that with no torque sensor and a high powered motor, having it full on at take-off on pedelec could be dangerous for some. Also, the range suffers with that high power motor full on all the time. eZee later introduced a switched level control called EAF in place of the twistgrip throttle.

To get pedelec full power all the time, other than taping the throttle you could short the throttle input lead to the output one, simulating the throttle being full on.

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
Thanks for that info, flecc. I think I'll stick with the present arrangement since I do prefer pure throttle anyway.
Or
I could short out the throttle as you suggest but put a switch in it...