Ezee Torq question.

Engineer

Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2008
Oxfordshire
Collected new Ezee Torq today and went for test run. I was surprised to find no pedelec/ebike switch. It only has one mode and that's with the throttle but only if pedals are turning. I was expecting to be able to run just on the throttle. Stop pedalling and the motor cuts out. The manual mentions a rocker switch, but on this bike it only controls the lights.
Can anyone throw any light on this?
Apart from this I am delighted with the handling and quality of the bike.

Thanks

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There's normally a rocker switch on the right hand side of the battery meter John, one position throttle only, the other pedelec with throttle.

Engineer

Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2008
Oxfordshire
Hi flecc,

There is a rocker switch there , but it only turns the lights on. I seem to be missing another switch, or the spec has changed. Very strange, I have emailed cyclepoint and hopefully they will reply tomorrow.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's odd, the light switch has normally been on the twistgrip housing. Maybe they had trouble getting twistgrips with light switches and wired that way instead, which would be very easy since the lights wiring goes via the meter. That's not very satisfactory for you though.

The other possible answer is that yours is a continental specification one, since under EU law, throttle only isn't permitted and all eZee bikes supplied there conform to that.

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
Good luck

Sound like a funny machine, turn a throttle but pedal. What kind of contraption is this? What is the wiring like I had lots of trouble from a chinese Izip I just bought from poweredbicycles and getting a refund.

thx

Bob

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sound like a funny machine, turn a throttle but pedal.

Bob
This is common in Europe Bob, where throttles are only allowed in combination with pedelec. In fact it's important on the more powerful bikes, since pedelec only at full power can plunge one into dangerous situations. The original eZee pedelec arrangement was like this and it had to be changed for safety's sake, allowing the setting off power to be rationed by the throttle.

Engineer

Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2008
Oxfordshire
Received a reply from cyclepoint

"Dear John
The Torq is pedelec only to increase range, the switch arrangement is correct.
All the best
Rhys"

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's a pity, continental version only from now on it seems, and I wonder if this is going to apply to the F series bikes as well.

It's going to be the law shortly in the UK anyway it seems, so I suppose we might as well get used to it.

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
That's a pity, continental version only from now on it seems, and I wonder if this is going to apply to the F series bikes as well.

It's going to be the law shortly in the UK anyway it seems, so I suppose we might as well get used to it.
If this is a sign of 'harmonising' the e-bike rules across Europe, does this mean we will now officially be allowed 250w continuous motor rating or do we have to put up with politicians 'cherry picking' just the worst parts of the legislation - to suit their own ill informed bias? No surprises here if that is the case...

Phil

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007

I understand the need to comply with new laws,but isnt it a little early to start restricting the bikes,all 50cc scooters are sold restricted but are easy to derestrict.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I agree Paul, I'd have preferred it left until inevitable. There may be an element of convenience in this, one model only for Europe making production schedules easier.

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
Hi

But whats the point in having a throttle on a pedelec only bike, thats just silly surely. Sound like poor design. Might as well have a purpose built pedelec than a throttle bike pretending to be one.

How can a hub wheel electric bike ever be a real pedelec?

thx

Bob

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi

But whats the point in having a throttle on a pedelec only bike, thats just silly surely. Sound like poor design. Might as well have a purpose built pedelec than a throttle bike pretending to be one.

How can a hub wheel electric bike ever be a real pedelec?

thx

Bob
Partly answered above already Bob. If you tried riding one of the more powerful hub motor bikes with direct pedelec in heavy traffic without a throttle, full power kicking in with pedalling, you'd be in for a shock. It's quite frankly dangerous, and that's why the "via throttle" system was introduced, so that the power can be modified to suit the circumstances.

There are other advantages too, such as using less throttle for a longer range trip.

However, I agree that a hub motor bike can never be a true pedelec, the disconnection of the motor from the pedal actions means it's a form of motor vehicle. I always sum it up as a true pedelec being a bicycle with motor assist, a hub motor bike being a low powered motor vehicle with pedal assist. Of course the latter also answers why a throttle is needed with the high power ones.

MR E

Pedelecer
Dec 6, 2007
West Sussex PO21
It will be a shame if Ezee "downgrade" their Torq to pedelec only as one of the reasons I purchased my Torq was to use the throttle only feature in traffic as I find this great when pulling away from lights etc , especially if the bike comes to a halt in a high gear.

It seems though , that this may be the way going forward and the "end is nigh" for throttle only operation of electric bikes. :(

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It seems though , that this may be the way going forward and the "end is nigh" for throttle only operation of electric bikes. :(
I'm afraid this is true. Bringing our law into line with the rest of Europe is on the "jobs to do" list for parliament and the civil service, so it's only a matter of time.

Engineer

Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2008
Oxfordshire
It will be a shame if Ezee "downgrade" their Torq to pedelec only as one of the reasons I purchased my Torq was to use the throttle only feature in traffic as I find this great when pulling away from lights etc , especially if the bike comes to a halt in a high gear.

I will be modifying mine as soon as the warrantry period is over for the very same reason. I would imagine its just a case of bridging the wires from the pedelec sensor.

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
Hi

Does delimiting damage the battery and how many miles would you get at 25mph. Would you have twist the throttle the whole time like on a motorbike?

thx

Bob

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's EZEE.

Our one is the eZee Kinetics Corporation, differently capitalised as you see.