Ezee Torq stolen in Portsmouth City Centre

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Last edited:

Gepida uk

Pedelecer
May 11, 2009
SCUM of the earth, jobless no hopes, will keep an eye out for you.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
SCUM of the earth, jobless no hopes, will keep an eye out for you.
Everything mankind produces is imperfect, needing to be tested in every possible way so that the imperfections
can be found and corrected.

The position with man made laws and man made security is no different, both are produced with flaws and need
to tested in every possible way, the flaws found then subsequently corrected.

The group of people who carry out that testing we call criminals and punish them for the damage they do, but it's
undeniable that their activities are a valuable service to the community.

The almost thiefproof nature of the latest cars is a testament to how much we owe them for their past services.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
For anyone buying a padlock they are often the weakest link in the chain, apart from brute force attacks this link shows how easy it is to make the right tool to open them quickly. Look for one where the shackle is protected like the one in Eddieo's picture.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
TBH I don't think that the kind of person who might buy a stolen Ezee (or a higher end pushbike like a flash racer or mountainbike) is usually jobless though.. they wouldn't be able to afford even the "street value"

and contrary to popular misconception, the more successful drug dealers (i.e those who aren't caught!) use very old and battered transport (whether its two or four wheels) to avoid attracting attention.

I used to have aspirations of one day joining the lycra lot - before I realised that as passing 30 means you now grow sideways instead of upwards so I'd have to go for a Vladimir Putin-style fitness régime to be able to even think of wearing that sort of gear without my belly hanging out..

and the impression I got from reading Cycling weekly and local club sites is that there were loads of competitors who would think nothing of nicking their rivals bike (or bits thereof) as there was clearly a thriving black market for stolen high-end racers and parts.

Ssadly I think we need to realise the same will apply to e-bikes (particularly as "generation Y" gets interested in them) and beef up our security accordingly.

I only ride the Wisper to places I know it will be 100% safe such as work or trusted friends houses, and even then I watch it like a hawk..

monster

Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
the week link in the chain is the welds. just put some grips on the link either side of the weld and bend it back and forth. it will break in 30 seconds. i worked this out when i was trying to chain my batteries to my bike and i needed to alter the length of the chain. my chain was 5mm thick and had links about an inch long. your results may differ.

for the 5V dc converter i used something like this but i found one that went up to 72V input. requires soldering. great for charging phones, satnav, etc.

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
The group of people who carry out that testing we call criminals and punish them for the damage they do, but it's
undeniable that their activities are a valuable service to the community.
We need bike thieves so that we can stop them being stealing bikes :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We need bike thieves so that we can stop them being stealing bikes :D
Yes, it sounds like a circular argument, but it isn't in fact. Even if by some miracle we had no criminals today, the
nature of the young growing human makes a new generation of criminality inevitable, bringing with it the need to
protect. There's also the need to find the flaws in our laws so that they can be revised to improve them.

That argument isn't an original of mine by the way, it's a well established part of discussion in criminology circles.
It's used mainly in connection with discussion and teaching on the purpose of punishment, revenge or reform (both
together are impossible).

Last edited:

themutiny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2009
You couldn't make it up

Quick update.

It has been sufficient time now, and no sign anywhere, so I thought it might be worth reporting it to plod on the off-chance that it had been handed in. I mean, even if it was wrecked, there might be something salvageable.

Having reported bikes stolen in the past (only to get a crime number for insurance purposes) I was amazed to see how PC the force is these days.

I kid you not, I was asked, in an earnest manner whether I felt I needed counselling. Ffs - I loved that bike, but counselling!! Who pays for that?

Anyway, it get's better (in a good way). They are doing the following:

Contacting the council for the CCTV footage, and are prepared to trawl through four hours worth, frame by frame.

Contacting Wetherspoons to obtain their CCTV footage and doing the same.

Trawling the second hand bike shops

I am absolutely amazed. All of this seemingly offered as a standard service. They didn't even have issue with why I had waited so long to report. Made it very difficult to remember what I had been wearing though. I guess the one thing that will probably come out of this, is I will get the answer to the main question. Did I screw up and mislock it, or were they really very clever... and if it's the former, do I want to know :eek:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's good to hear that they are taking it so seriously Nick. I felt awful about your posting of the loss since you'd
only just bought that new 14 Ah battery from me and had virtually no use from it.

Fingers crossed they turn up something, it woud be good to recover it regardless of condition since at least the
high value battery should be unaffected.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
I guess the one thing that will probably come out of this, is I will get the answer to the main question. Did I screw up and mislock it, or were they really very clever... and if it's the former, do I want to know :eek:
Fingers crossed for the search.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I am absolutely amazed. All of this seemingly offered as a standard service. They didn't even have issue with why I had waited so long to report. Made it very difficult to remember what I had been wearing though. I guess the one thing that will probably come out of this, is I will get the answer to the main question. Did I screw up and mislock it, or were they really very clever... and if it's the former, do I want to know :eek:

I would wanna know if me

If you did "screw up" I would reason that there is more chance of getting it back? as probably an opportunistic theft, so bike could be around locally languishing in someones hall with a flat battery........

The police probably offered counciling because of the delay in reporting? Assuming you where to heart broken to do anything about it:)

themutiny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2009
It's good to hear that they are taking it so seriously Nick. I felt awful about your posting of the loss since you'd
only just bought that new 14 Ah battery from me and had virtually no use from it.

Fingers crossed they turn up something, it woud be good to recover it regardless of condition since at least the
high value battery should be unaffected.
Thanks Tony.

Initially I was of a similar view to you. I had looked at the bike that morning and realised that I was going to have to spend a fair bit on it in the near future and funnily enough wondering in general whether I shouldn't think about a new one.

I now realise that I was missing the point entirely: Me and that bike were made for each other.

I purchased another Torq from Nick (Tiberius). It is a great bike, with dual batteries, cycle analyst etc etc. It is a great machine, and I really like it. I have also used a faster wheel on my other bike. It's an improvement, and again I really like it.

Problem is, whilst both of these actions are positive, neither of them can actually replace the old bike. I don't wish to sound silly or ungrateful, but the new Torq has very different characteristics to my old one. I'm not sure if it is an ezee or SB motor, but it's characteristics are quite different to the old one. The suspension forks also feel very different. It's more of a grand tourer. Also, because it is so nice and looks far more expensive I am totally paranoid about leaving it anywhere. Ever.

Prior to the theft, the old one was perfect utility transport. It looked innocuous (or so I thought), so I could leave it unattended, it used to accelerate like a mad thing, and I could keep it at 22mph over most terrain. My typical avg speed was between 18-20mph.

It was pretty well stripped down, with relatively thin tyres, and because I am a reasonable cyclist, I could cope with hills up to 1:5. Apart from when accelerating hard, the motor was near silent in operation.

I guess what I really want is all three....

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I know what you mean Nick, your old Torq 1 with it's thin tyres sound like it had similar character to my thin tyred
and stripped Torq Radical conversion, where that ones extra power made up for my lesser cycling ability.

The Torq 2 is certainly very different with either motor, as you say, more of a tourer and not as fast. Indeed the
latest ones are stuck with 15 mph assist which cannot be over-ridden.

David Henshaw shares our views, he likes his Torq 1 most and isn't at all keen on the Torq 2. I daresay you may
have heard his views on this at the Ching Challenge time.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Stolen subforum

Hi folks,

What are your thoughts if I create a "Stolen bikes" subforum where members can post details of missing bikes/equipment etc.

Photos and serial numbers etc can be posted and potential buyers of secondhand items can check the forum to see if what they are purchasing is listed ?

Let me know.

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
Stolen bike data

I think this is a really good idea. I work in Hackney so am very careful to keep my bike safe but if it was stolen I doubt that I would see it again in this area. It would be good to know that others were helping look for it.

That reminds me, I need to take some photos and make a record of the serial number!

Last edited:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Hi folks,

What are your thoughts if I create a "Stolen bikes" subforum where members can post details of missing bikes/equipment etc.

Photos and serial numbers etc can be posted and potential buyers of secondhand items can check the forum to see if what they are purchasing is listed ?

Let me know.
It's a small world at the moment and that might just work, good idea.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes Russ, it is a good idea, anything that helps combat this menace is worthwhile.