Ezee Torq stolen in Portsmouth City Centre

themutiny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2009
I am absolutely gutted. I finally managed to get out for a proper cycle yesterday. I locked my bike to a proper bike post with a £50 D lock. I was only gone an hour or so, when I came back, all there was was the closed lock still locked to the bar. I cannot for the life of me work out how they did it. I am sure that it was properly attached. Even more gutted that I had left the newish 14ah battery on the bike.
If any one spots similar on eBay, would be grateful for a heads up, likewise any strange key requests per earlier 50 cycles post.

I am really, really p###ed off :(

jasono

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Sorry to hear about the theft, really feel for you

Hope you get some good news

Will keep an eye on eBay

Jason

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Blimey!.....That must have been gut wrenching. Is it insured?

you need to contact Onbike ( and check if they have other dealers) regards request for a charger....

The most I probably leave the bike for is a couple of hours. You would think a shopping centre with the amount of people circulating would be relativity low risk if a decent lock employed. I know it hardly matters but are you sure you locked it properly. if they used a key or picked it why leave the lock, and if they used the jack method, would it not be wreaked.

Next time, heavy short chain and D lock. I use both when we cycle out together, but only take chain(3.5kg) to areas I am unsure about, rest of time D lock (1.5kg) This has made me have a rethink. Again...very sorry to hear this!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
Very sorry to read this, Nick. I remember your kindness in offering to let me ride on the outing you organised after the Exmoor trip. It must have been very upsetting for you.

Best wishes

Andy

themutiny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2009
Still bereft :(

Thanks for the kind responses. I have replayed it in my mind, and I am convinced the bike was securely locked when I left it. I am as bemused as Eddieo as to why they would relock the D-lock. Perhaps they were showing off. The real pain is that I was carrying two locks. I thought about using the second one, and had it been my Cannondale I would have done. I guess I had grown complacent about the Torq. Learnt my lesson though.
Next question: Does anyone have a mk1 Torq for sale, battery condition not an issue since I have my my own?

Cheers, Nick

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
maybe ask the local police for their opinion re the lock? do you think they would leave an expernsive lock if they had a key? I guess no insurance then...It kinda eases the pain.

Last edited:

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
Isn't the implication that they used a lock pick of some sort? The lock would be of limited value since they would have to get a set of keys to use themselves.

Perhaps this confirms the idea that two different types of lock should be used, one a good quality combination lock, since two different techniques would have to be used.

jasono

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Leicestershire
There are a couple of Torqs for sale in the current issue of A to B, I've sent you a pm with the details

Phil [OnBike]

Pedelecer
May 21, 2009
Sorry

Really sorry to hear this Nick!!!

I've had three bikes stolen over the years, so I can sympathise with you whole-heartedly, although none of them have been one of my electrics luckily!

If you know the bike / frame number and also key number, then drop me an e-mail at phil@onbike.co.uk
I will of course be questioning any eZee charger / key enquiries for you - I will warn the other OnBikers to be vigilant too. (I'll also keep an eye out on eBay).

If there's anything I can help with, just let me know...

monster

Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
if the lock is not broken. maybe they hacksawed the frame? what part did you lock it round? was there any CCTV footage? use a freedom of information request to get it.

they could have only been after the battery and trashed the bike to get it. sounds like it was professionals, and not the usualy junky with a pair of pliers. i hope theives haven't cottoned-on to the value of these bikes yet. :(

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
commiserations

sorry to hear about the loss of your bike Nick,

honestly... these scumbags drive you to the limit don't they.

i know what that is like, your world is OK, then suddenly... bof... no bike, in my only instance of losing a bike the devious little sh*t had sawn thru some iron railings as thick as your thumb to free the machine, this in a busy shopping precinct. made me wanna cry.

these days i use three locks.

there is a good previous thread covering locks and how easily some are broken.
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/2302-electric-bike-security.html

whoever nicked the bike is going to need a charger, probably from ebay, is it worth emailing the ebay sellers, explain your loss & ask them to let you know if any are purchased in the UK in your area ?

hope the rest of 2010 gets better for you.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Last edited:

themutiny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2009
Thanks for all the messages of support

It makes it more bearable...just.
Sorry I've been a bit quiet. I'm currently wrestling with a windows 7 install that isn't going well ( no Asio drivers for my MOTU) so having to rely on iPhone. thanks for the PMs, will respond shortly. The key was not the round type, as I have seen the posts. I'm thinking they probably cut through the crossbar, which is how it was secured, as Ive done hundreds of times before. thank god I still have the Cytronex. Went for a long ride yesterday, it was quite cathartic. I cannot get used to double locking the bike and removing the batteries EVERY time I leave it, even for a few moments :(
Thievin' b@st@rds make me sick....

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Sorry to hear about the bad news... I feel for you.

Are you able to post pictures of your (now-stolen) bike, or at least give us pointers to promotional photos with the same frame color, etc. ? We could keep an eye on eBay for you.

Could you please post details about your lock ? (just in case it has been picked indeed, rather than the frame sawed in half)

I have been recommending the Abus Granit 54 X-Plus 30cm D-Lock, see here: http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/4830-any-bike-lock-recommendations.html#post61032

Manufacturer page: ABUS | The good feeling of security

50 GBP (inc. delivery) 23cm model here: Abus Granit 54 X-Plus 160/230 Texkf Sold Secure Gold 2009 - £49.99 - SBR Sports or here: Abus GRANIT 54 XPLUS 230 EAZYKF 2010 - Black 230mm

I need to purchase a second lock now that I own a second e-bike. I would probably get the same again (50-60 GBP), unless there are better alternatives.

I hope you recover your precious hard-earned investment.
Cheers, Daniel

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
if using two locks you need two different types, as the thieves apparently need to carry different tools. a heavy chain with close padlock and a D style lock. if they are good at picking locks the bike is gone anyway:confused:

I have the Abus (1.5kg) you are thinking about and touch wood, has been OK in 12 months use. but I also use a pragmasis chain (3.5kg short version) and it is a real beast...it makes you feel much happier walking away from your bike!

Pragmasis Protector Chains Review - BikeRadar