Fastest climber?

Polar753

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2010
Scotland
I've only done the round trip (45mile) commute once so far because I've not had the bike long, Xmas, snow, manflu and laziness have all conspired against me!

But on that trip I carried 2 batteries in the bike bottle holders and used approx 1 and 3/4 batteries judging by the recharge times. I was pedalling at a constant rate on that run and I felt exercised at the end of it, if I had taken it a bit more leisurely I would probably have used a full battery each way, it took me approx 1 hour 15mins to do the 22.5 mile one-way trip and there were plenty of ups and downs enroute.
I'm really impressed with the range of the Cytronex bikes, I only get about 20 miles from my 10Ah bat, but that is on Hi most of the time. 45miles with two batteries is a good distance, shame the price has just gone up. I'm with you on the snow, a real pain, rain and wind not a problem but snow and ice is a no go. Bring on spring. :)

Polar753

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2010
Scotland
Just get a reasonably powerful geared Hub motor with a 25A controller and you will not have any problems with hills. If you stick to 15mph and maybe a bit more when nobody is looking who's to know ;) Just unleash the beast when you hit the hills :) The more powerful hub motors do not use any more power to do the same work as a smaller lower powered motor in my experience.

The Bafang Climber is a very nice motor and they even make a 250W version if you really must stick to the rules but better to go with a 350W or 500W IMO. When I tried 1 of the 250 watters out it seemed to have very strong watts... The Puma motor is also a very nice geared hub motor. Both are bigger than your average hub motor and weigh about 4kg a piece but that weight and size dissapears when you twist that grip.
Thanks, that's got me thinking, is ebay the best for these?

Polar753

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2010
Scotland
If you read this article in my website on how the Panasonic system works, you'll see why this is. Increasing speed by a couple of mph can actually double the effort you need to put in:

Panasonic power delivery

The following link is to my Panasonic website index page for other information:

Power Units Index

It's been done a number of times, the photo below shows a Panasonic unit equipped Giant Lafree with a 19 mph Heinzmann front hub motor. This one is extremely illegal since it also has a tiny petrol generator on the carrier so that both power units can run at the same time.

Hi Flecc,

Just thought that the Giant Lafree creation could have been one of yours, I was wrong to laugh at it, oops apologies.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Flecc,

Just thought that the Giant Lafree creation could have been one of yours, I was wrong to laugh at it, oops apologies.
Not one of mine Polar, but even if it had been, I'd appreciate the humour anyway. :)

Actually I thought you summed that bike up perfectly, having experience of the limitations of Lafree brakes and handling myself.

andyh2

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2008
Polar, please excuse me if I'm teaching Grandmother to suck eggs, but something that occurs to me is that when I had my Agattu I thought it was great but I didn't get on with the higher assistance level being at lower pedaling cadence. To get the best assistance for hill climbing I had to stay in a higher gear and reduce cadence, when my legs wanted to change down to a lower gear and increase cadence.

I sold the bike on and went with a Tongxin motor which I really like, as it suits my riding style better, but it isn't as good on steep hills as the Agattu.

Having read posts on here recently I could have got around that on the Agattu to some extent by changing the motor sprocket from 9 to 11 teeth which would have allowed a somewhat faster cadence in lower gear, whilst maintaining more of the motor assist, for hill climbing and might have resolved the problem.

It might be worth considering going back to standard gearing at the hub with increased motor sprocket and see if that works for you before changing bikes.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Prices

I'm really impressed with the range of the Cytronex bikes, I only get about 20 miles from my 10Ah bat, but that is on Hi most of the time. 45miles with two batteries is a good distance, shame the price has just gone up.
I am afraid we are all just about to see a price hike as the price of raw materials continue to soar.

All the best

David

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
I'm really impressed with the range of the Cytronex bikes, I only get about 20 miles from my 10Ah bat, but that is on Hi most of the time. 45miles with two batteries is a good distance, shame the price has just gone up. I'm with you on the snow, a real pain, rain and wind not a problem but snow and ice is a no go. Bring on spring. :)
Hadn't noticed the price had gone up - though it wouldn't surprise me now that I'm considering getting a new one. :(

Where did you hear about the price rise?

Polar753

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2010
Scotland
Polar, please excuse me if I'm teaching Grandmother to suck eggs, but something that occurs to me is that when I had my Agattu I thought it was great but I didn't get on with the higher assistance level being at lower pedaling cadence. To get the best assistance for hill climbing I had to stay in a higher gear and reduce cadence, when my legs wanted to change down to a lower gear and increase cadence.

I sold the bike on and went with a Tongxin motor which I really like, as it suits my riding style better, but it isn't as good on steep hills as the Agattu.

Having read posts on here recently I could have got around that on the Agattu to some extent by changing the motor sprocket from 9 to 11 teeth which would have allowed a somewhat faster cadence in lower gear, whilst maintaining more of the motor assist, for hill climbing and might have resolved the problem.

It might be worth considering going back to standard gearing at the hub with increased motor sprocket and see if that works for you before changing bikes.
I'm a beginner at this so no problem, I'd really like to try a different front sprocket, it is smaller at the front for higher cadence ? Any idea where to get one from, 50cycles show none in stock. I agree with some of the reviews about the way it makes you use a lower cadence, spinning faster is definitely easier on the knees and more natural to more experienced cyclists.

I am afraid we are all just about to see a price hike as the price of raw materials continue to soar.

All the best

David
Something that has really surprised me as I read through the A to B mag, and on this forum is the way prices have gone through the roof. Some places batteries have gone mad, I have to say spending £400 :eek: and up on a battery will put a lot of people off. I think it will kill the electric car market before it has begun to thrive. New tech is definitely required.

Hadn't noticed the price had gone up - though it wouldn't surprise me now that I'm considering getting a new one. :(

Where did you hear about the price rise?
Link below from the Cytronex main site. Add a bike to the basket and you get to the next page with Components. I hope it works.
Cytronex Components --- Cytronex - The UK's leading electric bike

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'd really like to try a different front sprocket, it is smaller at the front for higher cadence ? Any idea where to get one from, 50cycles show none in stock. I agree with some of the reviews about the way it makes you use a lower cadence, spinning faster is definitely easier on the knees and more natural to more experienced cyclists.
No, you need a larger motor sprocket. Your standard one is a 9 tooth, the only larger option is an 11 tooth which 50cycles normally stock but were out of recently. They should be getting more in I assume.

For information on fitting these, see this webpage on my site.

Last edited:

andyh2

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2008
It would be smaller chainwheel to give lower gear and cadence, but I'm meaning the panasonic motor drive sprocket. On Fleccs' panasonic repairs info page there's a very good description of how to change the motor drive sprocket and the effects it has. It's here;
repairsnew

Not sure where to get one if 50C don't have one though.

Polar753

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2010
Scotland
No, you need a larger motor sprocket. Your standard one is a 9 tooth, the only larger option is an 11 tooth which 50cycles normally stock but were out of recently. They should be getting more in I assume.

For information on fitting these, see this webpage on my site.
After a bit of thought got there in the end.

It would be smaller chainwheel to give lower gear and cadence, but I'm meaning the panasonic motor drive sprocket. On Fleccs' panasonic repairs info page there's a very good description of how to change the motor drive sprocket and the effects it has. It's here;
repairsnew

Not sure where to get one if 50C don't have one though.
Lots of good reading. Thanks again. I have to say I do really like my pro connect, its well built coping with the poor roads cold rain etc, with the ability for some fine tuning via gearing to suit individual preferences. Is there another with 2 yr guarantee? I would like to have a go on some more local products especially when I'm fitter.

brucehawsker

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2009
Price Rises

I am intrigued that there is talk of prices rising. I agree it will kill the market dead if that happens. We are supplying new 36V/16Ah high current dump batteries at around £300. Is that competitive? - I wonder if the industry is playing at the 'hp' game and trying to make after market money. Not a great idea I feel? Our top of the range tourer with that bettery checks out at £1399 with really quality forks etc, and the battery is lab rated 37V 14.4Ah or nearly 650Wh.

I think prices have to be kept low..... we want volume not niche sales, surely?

Xcytronex

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2009
I am intrigued that there is talk of prices rising. I agree it will kill the market dead if that happens. We are supplying new 36V/16Ah high current dump batteries at around £300. Is that competitive? - I wonder if the industry is playing at the 'hp' game and trying to make after market money. Not a great idea I feel? Our top of the range tourer with that bettery checks out at £1399 with really quality forks etc, and the battery is lab rated 37V 14.4Ah or nearly 650Wh.

Any pics or links ? Sounds interesting ........

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009

Yes, especially when you consider that Lipo battery chemistry can be purchased for well under $20 / Ah...£400 for an E-bike battery is really...well...taking the 'mick'.

brucehawsker

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2009
no links yet. Some pics but I am having trouble uploading. Will try tomorrow.

emissions-free

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2009
Shanghai
Yes, especially when you consider that Lipo battery chemistry can be purchased for well under $20 / Ah...£400 for an E-bike battery is really...well...taking the 'mick'.
But to be fair as a UK based supplier they do have to pay VAT, shipping, import duty and still make some profit. I think you've got a bit mixed up with the price there, don't you mean 2USD/Ah :) From someone that does actually buy batteries in quantity, I can assure you good stuff doesn't come so cheap in China and things like finished cases with BMS and charger is not a fair comparison to a LiPo pack with just a balance lead coming out that comes with little or no guarantee, has claimed life cycles of about 200 and WILL burst into flames if over charged. Li Po is good but it's not for everyone and would you give your mother a LiPo equipped bike?:)

How about the A123 15 and 20Ah cells that are now available. Now they are the business and priced at 2.5USD/Ah, so 50USD per 20Ah and 37.50USD per 15Ah. Most of the performance of lipo with lifecycle better than the best previously available LiFePO4:

Model: AHP 70165227
Capacity: 20Ah
Size: 7.0X 166X227mm
Weight: 480g

Model: AHP 68150211
Capacity: 15Ah
Size: 6.8X 150X211mm
Weight: 400g

Try 400A constant out of 20Ah cell :D

brucehawsker

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2009
Pricing is a bit of a mine field. We believe a target UK retail price of sub £20 per Ah, or sub 60p per Wh is fair....