Fastest climber?

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
They have the older style kettle plug - are they legal? I thought not....

twin disk brakes so probably 6 gears like a lot of clones...
The specs say 7 speed and if they were illegal then they should be sold with a warning or Trading Standards should be informed - pronto ! :confused:

Shame that the 2 year warranty does not cover "Riding the bike hard across rough terrain for which it is not suited." and"NOTE: We reserve the right to determine what damage is due to defective materials and what is due to product abuse or misuse. Misuse includes leaving the bike covered in mud and dirt. Not keeping the bike lubricated with the correct oil. Using incorect lubrucants such as WD40":confused:

I wonder if the Wisper warranty covers their bikes for the same useage?

Last edited:

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Last edited:

alex_h

Pedelecer
Dec 28, 2009
I think that consumer wise bit of competition is a good thing. For manufacturers it another kick to get better and go ahead.

That silver bike that looks slightly similarly to Wisper is not a copy. I think it is an awful looking bike, it looks Cheap Chinese and that is it. Copy is something that looks identical and that bike is far far away from Wisper, parts etc are probably total rubbish anyway.

I really wish to see one day the bike that is really well made and styled.

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.

jasono

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Innovate rather than copy

I know they say "It's a form of flattery" but if I had spent as long a time and as much money as David in building a brand, designing and fine-tuning a market leading product only to see inferior copy and copy materialise then I too would be just a little peeved

I agree competition is good in a market and helps products to develop, but that relies on 'new' innovations that move things forwards and adds to what is already on offer. My challenge is "Come on copy companies, give us something new!"

That's my four-penneth

Jason

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
As the market matures, I would like to see an increasing number of customer customisable options for a basic product (much like what is seen in the auto industry). Whether this should come as differing machines tuned to individual circumstance (eg. a choice of motors favouring hill climbing torque vs speed), or the production of bare bones ebike frames specifically aimed at home builders, that a range of manufacturers support with interchangeable kit components, I'm not sure - preferably both.

The latter option would require a system of accord and/or licencing between peers in the industry, and promote fair competition and indeed innovation within the refinement of basic designs. This would be much the same as has happened in the personal computer industry, with the design evolving and improving continuously, but with the user always having a reliable product, whatever manufacturer or price point they choose.

I suppose in the end it's all about the customer feeling like they've got value for money, and think that a more bespoke route would allow people to see the breakdown of the overall cost, and make savings on what they may see as unnecessary expense.

Last edited:

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
As the market matures, I would like to see an increasing number of customer customisable options for a basic product (much like what is seen in the auto industry). Whether this should come as differing machines tuned to individual circumstance (eg. a choice of motors favouring hill climbing torque vs speed), or the production of bare bones ebike frames specifically aimed at home builders, that a range of manufacturers support with interchangeable kit components, I'm not sure - preferably both.

The latter option would require a system of accord and/or licencing between peers in the industry, and promote fair competition and indeed innovation within the refinement of basic designs. This would be much the same as has happened in the personal computer industry, with the design evolving and improving continuously, but with the user always having a reliable product, whatever manufacturer or price point they choose.

I suppose in the end it's all about the customer feeling like they've got value for money, and think that a more bespoke route would allow people to see the breakdown of the overall cost, and make savings on what they may see as unnecessary expense.
Having recently been studying the Bionx kits, they appear to be doing something like this already with a range of 6 different motor types and 6 different battery types and optional throttle control on the same controller.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
That's a big movie file - downloading.... :D

What are the two models for release later in the year you speak of ?
Hi Tim

We have three new products that will be launched this year.

1. The Spirit by Wisper

A very high quality bike as per the existing Wispers, but a bike aimed at the rental and high volume markets.

The bike will retail at about £850 and is high quality, low spec, low maintenance. We have taken out many of the components that need adjustment and servicing and have added a torque sensor to run with a cadence sensor and a toggle between the two types of power delivery system. The bike has standard forks, V brakes, carrier type 36V 10A Lithium Polymer battery, no throttle, no brake switches, a 250W front wheel motor, Shimano Nexus 3 speed hub gears, on off on the handle bars with three assistance levels. All electronics are modular, easily changed and very accessible.

2. The Wisper Kit

We should have had this on the market by now but had problems with the carbon fibre moulds. It will be here early summer.

3. The Wisper 1006 range of two bikes

Very high spec carbon matrix touring bikes, one being under 16kg with 27 gears and the other heavier model with the new 11 speed Alfine gear box and full of tech, such as global positioning, blue tooth, the safety "shush" and a power assist controlled by the riders heart rate. Really exciting stuff, not cheap!!

I will keep the forum posted.

All the best

David

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
3. The Wisper 1006 range of two bikes

Very high spec carbon matrix touring bikes, one being under 16kg with 27 gears and the other heavier model with the new 11 speed Alfine gear box and full of tech, such as global positioning, blue tooth, the safety "shush" and a power assist controlled by the riders heart rate. Really exciting stuff, not cheap!!
Star Trek here we come - I take it heartrate controlled assist will mean ramping up the assist when the heart rate goes past a certain point - LOL?

Quite a good fitness feature or heart attack saver !

Stumpi

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2009
Scotland
Star Trek here we come - I take it heartrate controlled assist will mean ramping up the assist when the heart rate goes past a certain point - LOL?

I can just see it now

cycling down the main street at a steady 10 mph

attractive young woman walking down the pavement, gives you a wee smile and the bike takes off like a scoulded cat:D

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent

Exactly that Tim, you set the bike to say 100/120 beats per minute and the assist will not kick in until it reaches 120 and stays with you until your heart drops below 100. It also tells you how many calories you have burned on a training session or gentle cycle ride.

All the best

David

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
Out of interest David, have you ever considered licencing the 905 frame design to the makers of the clones? This way you could at least make some cash out of what appears to be an uncontainable trend, maybe even get some free advertising if you insisted they had a "frame by Wisper" mark. I'm probably talking rubbish, it was just a thought....

themutiny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2009
Exactly that Tim, you set the bike to say 100/120 beats per minute and the assist will not kick in until it reaches 120 and stays with you until your heart drops below 100. It also tells you how many calories you have burned on a training session or gentle cycle ride.

All the best

David
I gotta get me one of them:p

alex_h

Pedelecer
Dec 28, 2009
They can't be all bad - they were kind enough to give names to their batteries

Hector and Gavin - and some of the bike colours were pretty.
What names or brand is their battry, i could not find it in the brochure???

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
because the plug is compatible with a 230 v kettle plug lead? it is probably not CE compliant..... and yes some people are THAT stupid:rolleyes:

like the women with the RV in the states who went in the back to make a cup of coffee and sued the manufacturer because the cruise control did not prevent a crash...she won the case

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
For the record, the connector on the Wisper 2008 battery pack isn't compatible with the standard IEC C13/14 kettle lead, as what would be the earth pin is 90 degrees out of line. In fact I've no idea what it actualy is - it would seem not any of the standard IEC types.

like the women with the RV in the states who went in the back to make a cup of coffee and sued the manufacturer because the cruise control did not prevent a crash...she won the case
There's a candidate for the Darwin awards - if only she'd done it properly...

Last edited: