fathweel controller change

Ahmed55555

Pedelecer
Dec 13, 2020
Hi, I have a foldable fathweel 500W bafang geared hub motor Ebike, Id like to know if its possible to swap the controller for a KT 1000w as the KT's pedal assist is much smoother. this bike comes with a 48V battery but says 36V on the controller. it also doesnt have a PAS disc. so Im guessing its got like a bottom bracket sensor or something.
pictures are below

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The PAS looks like it is incorparated on the end of the LHS of the BB, it appears to be an all in one sensor it is marked SZJOK. Trace the thin Black cable from the controller to double check it leads to that part.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If it uses a 48v battery one can only assume the controller has a 60v in rush capacitor so it will work ok.
The controller looks like a basic possibly speed controller so is why the PAS pick up is not smooth, it will supply the full 16a current all the time. If it is a speed controller each PAS level will have a different max speed.
The KT controllers use current control so the power is supplied in a much smoother way, there is no reason why you can't fit one along with a compatible KT lcd.
You may have to carry out some minor wiring with the PAS as the connector will not be the same.
I can see four sets of wires the obvious power wires, and then three Black round cables. One is the hub motor cable this will use a std Julet motor connector so will be plug and play with KT controller, one is the display wire cable this won't be needed as the new KT lcd will be plug and play with the KT controller & the last cable is the PAS cable you will have to find the connection join and simply match the wires to the KT controller one may have to snip off the connector and solder a julet one to match the KT controller.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Sensored one would think, you have to count the pins on the motor cable connector but expect it is nine meaning sensored.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Alright and for the PAS, do i use the one that came fitted on to the bike or do i order a new one?
The pas should be fine a sit is not the pas that is dictating how the bike rides but the controller.
Can you confirm if the controller has set speed limits for each PAS level?

Ahmed55555

Pedelecer
Dec 13, 2020
The pas should be fine a sit is not the pas that is dictating how the bike rides but the controller.
Can you confirm if the controller has set speed limits for each PAS level?
theres 3 levels, I dont remember the 1st but 2nd goes upto like 16/17mph whilst on the bike and 3rd goes upto 23 mph whilst on the bike too.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ok thanks it is a speed controller, the rating is 16a. Before one opts for a Kt controller one will have find out the continuous current rating that the battery can deliver as the Kt's will be 25 /30a also one will need to check a KT will fit in the compartment.