Faulty eCarrera Crossfire

Andy McNish

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
As they say in Game of Thrones 'It is known' :)

To summarise the overall advice for new budget ebikers in this forum:

1. Do NOT buy a Crossfire from Halfords.
2. If you want a reliable hub motor bike look at getting a conversion kit or bike from someone like Woosh.
3. The best value crank drive is Halfords Crossfuse because if you wait for a sale you can stack discounts and get a Bosch ALP (one of the best overall systems out there) for less than £1300.
4. If you can stretch up into the £1500-£1600 range then there are often deals available on new crank drive bikes of better build quality/components than the Crossfuse - such as Cubes and sometimes even Haibikes. These are basically bombproof bikes built by Germans and their only downside is their weight. I have a £1570 Cube with a 500W battery - Bosch ALP - and have done 1400km on it since Xmas, mainly off road, with literally not even a squeak.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
As they say in Game of Thrones 'It is known' :)

To summarise the overall advice for new budget ebikers in this forum:

1. Do NOT buy a Crossfire from Halfords.
2. If you want a reliable hub motor bike look at getting a conversion kit or bike from someone like Woosh.
3. The best value crank drive is Halfords Crossfuse because if you wait for a sale you can stack discounts and get a Bosch ALP (one of the best overall systems out there) for less than £1300.
4. If you can stretch up into the £1500-£1600 range then there are often deals available on new crank drive bikes of better build quality/components than the Crossfuse - such as Cubes and sometimes even Haibikes. These are basically bombproof bikes built by Germans and their only downside is their weight. I have a £1570 Cube with a 500W battery - Bosch ALP - and have done 1400km on it since Xmas, mainly off road, with literally not even a squeak.
That's pretty good advice. the only thing I would add is that a lot of people prefer the cadence-based control systems that you get on Chinese type bikes, and they prefer the ride you get with a hub motor, so there's still a strong case for bikes in the £1200 to £1500 price bracket from Juicy, Wisper, Oxygen, Woosh, Volt and similar.

All those companies can give you exceptional service much more than what they're obliged to under the warranty.

Andy McNish

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
That's pretty good advice. the only thing I would add is that a lot of people prefer the cadence-based control systems that you get on Chinese type bikes, and they prefer the ride you get with a hub motor, so there's still a strong case for bikes in the £1200 to £1500 price bracket from Juicy, Wisper, Oxygen, Woosh, Volt and similar.

All those companies can give you exceptional service much more than what they're obliged to under the warranty.
Yes. I should have made it clear that other reliable UK based hub system manufacturers are available and that 3 and 4 only apply if you want a crank drive!

And that especially if you have health issues and can't reliably supply much power of your own, cadence may well be preferable to a torque sensing crank based system, in which case the reliable UK manufacturers will happily fill the gap (as the Crossfuse and German bikes mentioned are all torque based).

And of course, most importantly, test different options first to see what suits.

Related Articles

Advertisers