Faulty eCarrera Crossfire

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The bike is not fit for purpose and the fault isn't a motor fault. The cutting out is either a battery/BMS issue or a wire/ contact issue.
Just tell them enough is enough and you want a refund as the bike is dangerous esp if it cuts out whilst negotiating a busy junction. If they dither or offer another bike only accept the Bosch powered Crossfuse as others have done.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeS

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Nealh is right, they will give you all sorts of BS, the system is flawed, I personally think it's the BMS that's at fault, it gets or thinks it's overloaded and cuts out. Most of the time you have to remove the battery from the frame, reseat and restart to get going.
I'm on my 2nd Crossfire-e in 3 years, apart from the cutouts it's a great bike, and the reason I'm sticking with it (and why I bought a 2nd one) is that I paid about £600 each time for a new one, and got £400 when I sold my first one, so it's worked out a very cheap bike. I tend to get a cutout on average about once a month.
Halfords should'nt still be selling them, I'd be mighty upset if I paid £1k let alone £1.2k for one with these cutouts. Go straight back and get your money back, or tell them to swap it out for the Crossfuse

Reactions: Anneski

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I have never heard of one of those bikes that didn’t cut out occasionally, and I've spoken with many owners. You either accept it because it's otherwise a good bike or change it for something else. One thing's sure, that it won't sort itself out.

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
But also what a lot of owners don't realise is that some of them develop (or even start with) a pedalling through treacle problem. If sometimes your bike becomes difficult to pedal with the motor off, this is a separate problem from the cut-outs and another reason to swap it for a Crossfuse. The problem is that Halfords are currently listing the Crossfuse at £1800. IMHO that's because in a month or so they will pull the price back to £1500 and call it a sale.
Mike

Anneski

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 23, 2019
The bike is not fit for purpose and the fault isn't a motor fault. The cutting out is either a battery/BMS issue or a wire contact issue.
Just tell them enough is enough and you want a refund as the bike is dangerous esp if it cuts out whilst negotiating a busy junction. I they dither or offer another bike only accept the Bosch powered Crossfuse as others have done.
Thanks for that. I hadn't thought about what would happen if it cut out at a junction.

Reactions: NewtSoup

Anneski

Aug 23, 2019
But also what a lot of owners don't realise is that some of them develop (or even start with) a pedalling through treacle problem. If sometimes your bike becomes difficult to pedal with the motor off, this is a separate problem from the cut-outs and another reason to swap it for a Crossfuse. The problem is that Halfords are currently listing the Crossfuse at £1800. IMHO that's because in a month or so they will pull the price back to £1500 and call it a sale.
Mike
Thanks. I have the cycling through treacle problem too, like I'm cycling with the breaks on. It's definitely going back. I can wait till the price drops on a Crossfuse before spending although husband thinks I should get a Specialized hybrid. Anneley

Anneski

Aug 23, 2019
I have never heard of one of those bikes that didn’t cut out occasionally, and I've spoken with many owners. You either accept it because it's otherwise a good bike or change it for something else. One thing's sure, that it won't sort itself out.
Thanks. I've noticed on the Halfords website that they say they have limited supply of them. I wondered if they are holding out for the new motors then? I agree it was a good bike in other respects. Anneley

Anneski

Aug 23, 2019
Nealh is right, they will give you all sorts of BS, the system is flawed, I personally think it's the BMS that's at fault, it gets or thinks it's overloaded and cuts out. Most of the time you have to remove the battery from the frame, reseat and restart to get going.
I'm on my 2nd Crossfire-e in 3 years, apart from the cutouts it's a great bike, and the reason I'm sticking with it (and why I bought a 2nd one) is that I paid about £600 each time for a new one, and got £400 when I sold my first one, so it's worked out a very cheap bike. I tend to get a cutout on average about once a month.
Halfords should'nt still be selling them, I'd be mighty upset if I paid £1k let alone £1.2k for one with these cutouts. Go straight back and get your money back, or tell them to swap it out for the Crossfuse
Thanks. With the service package I paid around £1200 which is a lot although somewhat less than the 4K hubby spent on his! I thought I'd see if I liked it first and if I did, flog it to upgrade at some point like I saw others had done on eBay. I love riding about on it as it makes light work of the hills in my neck of the woods. I'll check out the Crossfuse for sure.

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
Join the British cycling thing and wave your membership card at Halfords but only when they have done the deal for you on a Crossfuse upgrade. They may give you the option of 300 or 400 pounds for the upgrade, you could then introduce the idea of the 10% off the Crossfuse price of £1800.
Edit: I've just checked and Halfords have introduced the 'sale' already and have discounted the Crossfuse price by £101. Stingy, but I guess they know the Crossfuse is a good bike even at £1700.
Mike

D

Deleted member 25121

Hi I'm a newbie to the site and have found some helpful info here re my Crossfire ebike bought new from Halfords in May this year. It cut out as I was going uphill (immediately after a longish downhill so I'd be over 15 mph at the start) and the led screen went blank. Circled back downhill and restarted and same thing happened again. After leaving bike unused for a couple of weeks it was fine for a few rides but then it cut out again on the same hill. Took it to Halfords today (I bought the full service plan when I bought the bike) and they acknowledged it was a known problem and that it would need a replacement motor but aparently due to supply issues with Suntour they won't be available until December 2019. One of the guys squirted some contact spray on the connector cable joint close to the rear hub hotor and resecured the cables with ties but that was it. I tried to encourage them to make a note on the bikes service file but they wouldn't. Basically was told to come back if the problem persists. The problem for me is that I am less inclined to use the bike if it cuts out unpredictably as I don't trust it. Husband has a rather expensive Specialized eMTB and he says I should take it back for a full refund and buy something better.
Do you think I will have to replicate the fault now in order to take it back? Just wish I'd read the op posts before going to Kendal Halfords
Hi
I think that legally you're obliged to give them the opportunity to fix the fault in a timely manner.

I suggest you carry on using the bike and when the problem reappears, which it almost certainly will do, take it straight back and demand an immediate solution, the bike is only 3 months old.

If you take it back now, without seeing the fault reappear, they will just claim that they've fixed the problem and you'll get nowhere.

Anneski

Aug 23, 2019
Hi
I think that legally you're obliged to give them the opportunity to fix the fault in a timely manner.

I suggest you carry on using the bike and when the problem reappears, which it almost certainly will do, take it straight back and demand an immediate solution, the bike is only 3 months old.

If you take it back now, without seeing the fault reappear, they will just claim that they've fixed the problem and you'll get nowhere.
Yes I agree. As they were very reluctant to take any info off me re the fault I don't have any fresh evidence so to speak. I'm going to ride it and take my phone to record when it happens again like the op did.

• Agree
Reactions: ebiker99

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
But you also have the riding through treacle problem. That’s enough in itself to reject the bike. It is not right MOST Crossfire’s pedal perfectly well with the motor off. If yours doesn’t then complain. There are other threads on here about the issue
Mike

D

Deleted member 25121

But you also have the riding through treacle problem. That’s enough in itself to reject the bike. It is not right MOST Crossfire’s pedal perfectly well with the motor off. If yours doesn’t then complain. There are other threads on here about the issue
Mike
My all means report the problem but the seller is under no obligation whatsoever to provide a refund on a 3 month old item unless they've been given the opportunity to rectify the fault.

"If you're outside the 30-day right to reject, you have to give the retailer one opportunity to repair or replace any goods or digital content that are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described."

Anneski

Aug 23, 2019
My all means report the problem but the seller is under no obligation whatsoever to provide a refund on a 3 month old item unless they've been given the opportunity to rectify the fault.

"If you're outside the 30-day right to reject, you have to give the retailer one opportunity to repair or replace any goods or digital content that are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described."
The guys in Halfords were pretty sure I'd need a new motor to fix it but that due to supply issues they won't be able to get one until December 19. I tried to get them to take my details and log the issue but I could tell they weren't keen and decided it probably wouldn't take me further forward in the short term. When I next feel the treacle wading or it cuts out I'll be back in store asking for a refund.

D

Deleted member 25121

The guys in Halfords were pretty sure I'd need a new motor to fix it but that due to supply issues they won't be able to get one until December 19. I tried to get them to take my details and log the issue but I could tell they weren't keen and decided it probably wouldn't take me further forward in the short term. When I next feel the treacle wading or it cuts out I'll be back in store asking for a refund.
Yes, and insist that a 3 months wait to fix the problems would not be acceptable.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Christmas is certainly not acceptable.

NewtSoup

Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2018
Leicester UK
Hey there, OP here. So sorry to hear about your troubles. I had 2 new motors, the one that came with my bike burned out in the workshop, the second came from a batch of new motors which I was told was designed to fix the issue - it didn't.

At least Halfords are now admitting there is a problem. If you do go for a new bike from them definitely go for the Bosch Powered Crossfuse - I have put 7000 miles on mine now since I've had it with no issues beyond wearing brake pads out.

I'm so confident in it I bought a second battery ( bosch batteries are expensive! ) It's my main work horse and I love it.

Secondly the crossfuse is better built. The cross fire uses standard guage spokes which are not really up to the torque of the electric motor. The crossfuse however has thicker ones, also the mid drive makes the motor more efficient on battery life, the head-stock bearings on the fuse are better quality too. The whole thing is just better.

Anneski

Aug 23, 2019
Hey there, OP here. So sorry to hear about your troubles. I had 2 new motors, the one that came with my bike burned out in the workshop, the second came from a batch of new motors which I was told was designed to fix the issue - it didn't.

At least Halfords are now admitting there is a problem. If you do go for a new bike from them definitely go for the Bosch Powered Crossfuse - I have put 7000 miles on mine now since I've had it with no issues beyond wearing brake pads out.

I'm so confident in it I bought a second battery ( bosch batteries are expensive! ) It's my main work horse and I love it.

Secondly the crossfuse is better built. The cross fire uses standard guage spokes which are not really up to the torque of the electric motor. The crossfuse however has thicker ones, also the mid drive makes the motor more efficient on battery life, the head-stock bearings on the fuse are better quality too. The whole thing is just better.

Anneski

Aug 23, 2019
Thanks for the tip re the Crossfuse. I've only done 171 miles on mine but a lot of my reluctance to venture far from home on it is due to the bikes cut out problem. I've been out on it today and it didn't cut out but I definitely think there is a problem still as when I'm riding along with power assist the power bars to the right of the led screen are all over the place and sometimes off all together. Is this normal? I tried to take a video but had to hold it with one hand which although it isn't a problem I couldn't really get a motor on. I'll persevere though as I enjoy it. I live in the Lune Valley which is fab for cycling.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Thanks for the tip re the Crossfuse. I've only done 171 miles on mine but a lot of my reluctance to venture far from home on it is due to the bikes cut out problem. I've been out on it today and it didn't cut out but I definitely think there is a problem still as when I'm riding along with power assist the power bars to the right of the led screen are all over the place and sometimes off all together. Is this normal? I tried to take a video but had to hold it with one hand which although it isn't a problem I couldn't really get a motor on. I'll persevere though as I enjoy it. I live in the Lune Valley which is fab for cycling.
The power bars will be off altogether if you exceed about 16mph. Sometimes when you are between 15 and 16mph you will see the power bars flash erratically quickly. Anything up to 15mph should have the power bars showing as normal