Faulty TBK-74AD 36V 250W Motor

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I have been given a TBK-74AD 36V 250W Motor wheel for a Brompton, it was faulty. Rather than rotate, it just stutters.

Even if the motor is not fixable, I have a spare rim and spokes.

I took the motor out of the hub and the fault seems clear, at the point the wires feed from the central black disk the insulation on the wires is damadged, see bit circled in red. It looks like the wires were crossed, not laid flat, when the black disk was secured.

And the motor does respond normally when the black disk is loosened a bit.

Can the motor be taken appart to replace the damadged wires, or is it a re-cycling centre vist ?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The normal way to repair is to pull the rotor out and feed the wires through for that, unsilder the wires, pull the cable through and cut them beyond the damage then resolder.

If the damage isn't too bad, you could try to arrange them so that they don't both touch metal or each other, then stick a bit of silicone sealant in there to keep them in place and add to the insulation, then reassemble.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
How do you pull the rotor out, the large aluminium plate\disk on the non-gear wheel side does not want to move.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I can only guess, but nearly all motors come out from the gears side, so take the gears off, unscrew the axle, then see if that side comes off

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
There was a circlip under the gears and with a few vigerous taps with a nylon hammer, it came apart.

So it looks possible to fix. Would need to undo the lacing and I need a few bits of that glass fabric sleeving I guess.

Not sure what type of cord they use, but I have some kevlar thread here about the same size, its super strong, does not stretch much and is very heat resistant.

There does appear to be enough spare motor cable, to cut the wires at the fault and rejoin as origional. Or replace with a cut up motor extension cable. Not a lot of space in the groove where the cable sits for heatshrinked joins.

The Motor incidently, at least from the outside, is a dead ringer for the motor used on the Brompton Swytch kit.

Last edited: