Help! Few questions - does this new motor sound normal? (video)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The displays only show ambient air temp and there isn't any controller wiring for temp, though one might be able to use the throttle wiring if one could fit a temp sensor. One can do so on the tsdz2 if the throttle isn't needed as the motor outer is static in the main housing with controller.
Reducing the current will reduce heat, the controller and hub can be felt for heat issues.
Without cooling the hub will have a limit of how much heat will melt the nylon gears.
As mentioned 12a x 52v is 624w & 15a is 780w. We know from experience the larger akm100 max was 20a @48v before the nylon gears melted and many had issues pushing it more.

afia2k8

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2021
The displays only show ambient air temp and there isn't any controller wiring for temp, though one might be able to use the throttle wiring if one could fit a temp sensor. One can do so on the tsdz2 if the throttle isn't needed as the motor outer is static in the main housing with controller.
Reducing the current will reduce heat, the controller and hub can be felt for heat issues.
Without cooling the hub will have a limit of how much heat will melt the nylon gears.
As mentioned 12a x 52v is 624w & 15a is 780w. We know from experience the larger akm100 max was 20a @48v before the nylon gears melted and many had issues pushing it more.
20a is insane! So if it's too hot to leave my hand on i should reduce the amps? Or use a thermometer and if it's above x celcius? Any idea at what Celcius does the nylon gears start to melt?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If a controller is too hot to leave your hand on, it will have likely thermally cut out before then if the mosfets don't fry.
Too hot then one needs to reduce the current.

Reactions: afia2k8

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Nylon temps not really but we know the Blue gear on the tsdz2 fails and we know some see 75 - 104c temps recorded internally with about 30/40c less recorded on the exterior.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney and afia2k8

afia2k8

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2021
Hi Nealh,

I'm assuming the above you're talking about max current (peak current). However, if i were to get a kt 09s - 9mosfet 48v 22a controller and limit the max current to 10a, the Rated current (which i assume means continuous current) will still be delivered at 11a (instead of the 7a on the kt36v 15a controller). Hence, 52v x 11a = 572w continuous on a 250w motor. Will that be okay?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Should be ok.