Final mile eBike solution

Which final mile ebike solution would you use if travelling partially by another mode of transport?

• Folding ebike stored in luggage area of car

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Full size ebike stored on external rack of car

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Choose not to ride an ebike

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Own ebike stored at parking location

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • eBike hire scheme at parking location

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Other; please detail below...

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters

JimmyMac

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 11, 2018
Coventry
Hello,

I am currently performing research into pedelec usage for commuting and other regular journeys.

Trends show that travelers are increasingly choosing electric bikes for their regular planned journeys (e.g. commuting) and when the journey is between five and ten miles there is (unsurprisingly) a particularly high take up rate of ebikes. For longer distances too, travelers are increasingly choosing ebikes for at least part of their journey although this is less well understood as there are many more variable factors including terrain and road type.

Splitting a journey between different modes of transport is becoming more common for those travelling between urban and rural scenarios (e.g. park and ride) and there is a global trend towards the banning of internal combustion engines from urban areas. This has lead to a higher uptake of final mile solutions where a journey is completed via personal transport such as a bike.

There is a need to understand how travelers use ebikes in this context.

I would also be interested to hear your experiences with this kind of journey.

Last edited:
Reactions: Auxtail

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've clicked other for the following reasons:

Own ebike for the last part brings the problems of carrying the bike, where to put the bike during the day, theft of bike, riding in wet or freezing weather in normal car driving clothes, possibly where to charge battery on occasions.

A hire scheme for e-bikes will only solve the theft and any possible charging problems, but can have availability problems and no docking point at destination.

Taking into account the problems, for me "Park and Ride" public transport solutions are potentially better in all respects. For distances up to about two or even three miles, walking is often a good option, relaxing, good exercise and route variations in cities can make it more interesting too.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

Own ebike for the last part brings the problems of carrying the bike, where to put the bike during the day, theft of bike, riding in wet or freezing weather in normal car driving clothes, possibly where to charge battery on occasions.

A hire scheme for e-bikes will only solve the theft and any possible charging problems, but can have availability problems and no docking point at destination.

Taking into account the problems, for me "Park and Ride" public transport solutions are potentially better in all respects. For distances up to about two or even three miles, walking is often a good option, relaxing, good exercise and route variations in cities can make it more interesting too.
Walking for 1 mile is a very viable option, but when it gets to 2 or 3 it becomes either the occupation or a major delay. 10 minutes walking is fine and dandy, and gets one close to the mile mark, but double that and speed goes down, so that if one did more than 4 miles in the first hour , one would be pretty fit. I see the walking as good for a mile , or two miles there and back. I see a small bike good for three to four times that. And a an ebike for up to 10 times that. Beyond that one is either fanatical about cycling or has very limited options.

• Agree
Reactions: mike killay

JimmyMac

Apr 11, 2018
Coventry
Walking for 1 mile is a very viable option, but when it gets to 2 or 3 it becomes either the occupation or a major delay. 10 minutes walking is fine and dandy, and gets one close to the mile mark, but double that and speed goes down, so that if one did more than 4 miles in the first hour , one would be pretty fit. I see the walking as good for a mile , or two miles there and back. I see a small bike good for three to four times that. And a an ebike for up to 10 times that. Beyond that one is either fanatical about cycling or has very limited options.
Thank you for the insight. This supports the research; "final mile" is a misnomer as, if there is really only a mile between the station or a car park and the destination most will walk and if unable to, will arrange a taxi.

There are a number of reasons that consumers seem to choose an ebike over a peddle only bike, including; planned distance, planned clothing, facilities at destination (showers, bike store, ect.), what else they will use the bike for (if anything).

What I really want to know is, if travelling partially by another mode of transport what solution would you use?

JimmyMac

Apr 11, 2018
Coventry

Perhaps my poll was unclear, "other" means that you would use a final mile ebike solution not on my list. Which WOULD you use?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Perhaps my poll was unclear, "other" means that you would use a final mile ebike solution not on my list. Which WOULD you use?
None in this case, since where I am and in my circumstances two to three miles is a very viable walk, contrary to the challenge above from someone knowing nothing of my circumstance. That and a bit more are also the sort of distance I might use an ordinary folding bike for, avoiding the e-hassles.

I wouldn't part journey a substantial distance, so no application for an e-bike and I shouldn't be in the poll.

JimmyMac

Apr 11, 2018
Coventry
None in this case, since where I am and in my circumstances two to three miles is a very viable walk, contrary to the challenge above from someone knowing nothing of my circumstance. That and a bit more are also the sort of distance I might use an ordinary folding bike for, avoiding the e-hassles.

I wouldn't part journey a substantial distance, so no application for an e-bike and I shouldn't be in the poll.
Any chance you could play along with the hypothetical nature of the original question?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Final mile walk, buying ebike for one mile pointless.

D

Deleted member 22539

I only bike
20 mile round trip unless it’s raining
Then I take the car .

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I walk distances of between 2 km to 4 km instead of biking unless I have something to carry (like shopping). I walk at a constant speed of about 6 km/h wear correct shoes and adapt my clothing to the weather (instead of social convention).

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
Always think these last mile ideas are great....... But not in.uk

whats the point in kitting up for rain and down again for just a mile or so. Hassle and expense to do anything but just walk with a good brolly and some cheap pack a Mac overtrousers

I lived an commuted in London for a decade. I tried a lot of ideas. I even bought the original micro scooter aimed at adults at 100 quid nearly 20 years back !

Actually that was quite good in summer at speeding up a 20 min walk. And there were no others about .

Even with a brompton it just wasn't worth the hassle when raining. At that time I had two 3 minute cycles and a tube ride. Better to kit up , cycle the full 30 to 40 minutes and save the tube fare . But at least the brommie gave you options . Any tube anywhere not an issue. It was the only bike accept back then. Even so I had my granny make a canvas bag for it. Bags ok , bikes not - was the opinion of some of the more , er, sloping forehand staff despite any actual policy.

Seriously , the last mile stuff never works in the UK

Last edited:

Tim w

Feb 8, 2018
Devon
I ticked other as I put the bike in the back of the car. It is only a possible 3 minute ride with a small hill to where I park the car I have only been doing this for 3 weeks as an experiment, due to the industrial estate I work on is getting a nightmare trying to find somewhere to park unless you want to get to work almost an hour before you start work.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I ticked other as I put the bike in the back of the car. It is only a possible 3 minute ride with a small hill to where I park the car I have only been doing this for 3 weeks as an experiment, due to the industrial estate I work on is getting a nightmare trying to find somewhere to park unless you want to get to work almost an hour before you start work.
A lot people do that here, park on edge of town where its free and cycle a flat 3-4km into town. The fit ones park at top of hill to get workout on way home.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I live on the outskirts of Swansea in a village.
Also, it is quite hilly to get back home.
Parking in the town centre is impossible, so I carry my folder in the boot, park about a mile from the centre and bike it. At my age, walking far is no longer an option.
However, I can understand that in huge cities, this might not be possible in the sense that unrestricted parking may be up to 10 miles from the centre.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Tim w

Feb 8, 2018
Devon
Disappointed today as I thought I would find out facts of distance was 0.7 mile and it took 3 minutes 40 seconds. Was hoping it would have been a mile.

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
I would consider using a hire bike if I didn't have my own but it would have to be cheaper than a bus or taxi but a mile? don't think I would bother using one. Ebikes at train stations would be a good idea because I would like to use a train at times then complete my journey by bike when I'm fishing and camping. We need to see charging points for Ebikes all over the UK. Putting charging points in old phone boxes would be the best way forward in my opinion because nobody is using them for anything else and they already have power it just needs modification.It would encourage more Ebike users also. The boxes wouldn't have to be specifically for Ebikes some could have car charging points too in the right locations and also mobile device charging and Wi-Fi. But BT cant see the potential so who's going to buy those Phone boxes from BT and make a few million from my idea? lol Its already partially in place it just needs to be modified and used instead of ripping the rest out and wasting resources

Last edited:

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I would consider using a hire bike if I didn't have my own but it would have to be cheaper than a bus or taxi but a mile? don't think I would bother using one. Ebikes at train stations would be a good idea because I would like to use a train at times then complete my journey by bike when I'm fishing and camping. We need to see charging points for Ebikes all over the UK. Putting charging points in old phone boxes would be the best way forward in my opinion because nobody is using them for anything else and they already have power it just needs modification.It would encourage more Ebike users also. The boxes wouldn't have to be specifically for Ebikes some could have car charging points too in the right locations and also mobile device charging and Wi-Fi. But BT cant see the potential so who's going to buy those Phone boxes from BT and make a few million from my idea? lol Its already partially in place it just needs to be modified and used instead of ripping the rest out and wasting resources
The problem that I see is that you will have to leave an expensive battery in a public place for 6 hours or so.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Other than short term use e-bike hire schemes, I don't think any public charge points are necessary for pedelecs. Todays latest batteries can easily give three to four hours riding (40 to 60 miles) on legal pedelecs and few want to ride any further that that.