Finally I have made the 40 MPH club!?!

bazwaldo

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2010
Hi everyone,

When returning home from work on my Bearprint Ebike I generally go down a pretty steep hill going through Pilton in Somerset.
Twice before I have pedeled like crazy to try and break the 40mph speed barrier and have managed to achieve 39.9mph according to my Velo 8 speedometer.
Well yesterday I finally did it and managed to get that little extra speed which enabled me to join the 40mph club!
Here is a photo to prove the achievement:-

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/eiTsc9j8E5mPABLwLj8RxA?feat=directlink

Well yet again I have failed to embed the photo in my post.:mad:
If I put
around the link nothing shows at all.
I tried using the insert image link and this also did not show up, perhaps it is because my Google images link begins with https instead of http?
Can anyone advise what I am doing wrong and how I can show the photo directly?

Still 40 mph!
I'm chuffed! :D

Barry.

vhfman

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2008
Hi Barry
You should be able to copy the image address like this and post it.
Like this:

Are you using the tools at the top of the message?
This shows the button(highlighted in red) to use when linking images, then enter your link address in the box that appears.

I hope that helps.

And ok ur 40mph, I feel very unsafe when I ride at anything like that kind of speed, especially on the roads around here with all the potholes.

Chris

bazwaldo

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2010
Thanks Chris obviously it does not matter that the link begins with https!
With your example I will have another go.

I must very inept because even with your screenshot it is not showing in my post.
It's not a bad speed and on my Bearprint Ebike it even seems very stable.
Now I have broken the 40 mph barrier I don't need to think about it any more.
Another member, I forget who, posted about being in the 50 mph club! I will have to find a very steep hill to try and join that club!!

Barry.

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Congratulations Barry, I too hit a top speed this week. It was 43.7mph coming down the last major hill off the Pennines on the C2C last Sunday. The trouble is, it ends in a village with twisty little roads and junctions. I can't speak highly enough of my Avid BB7 disk brakes, and in fact I could have kissed them when I had to stop in a hurry when the little humpback bridge suddenly appeared at the bottom at that speed!

bazwaldo

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2010
Well a quick update while enjoying a nice pint of Abbot Ale real ale in Weatherspoons!
Coming home from work today down the same hill in Pilton I Smashed! my new record by achieving a new top speed of 41,9 mph without even trying!
Also I made a new record time of completing the 12.6 mile journey home in less than 42 minutes.
I think the good conditions - warm, sunny, virtually no wind made all the difference after the recent Hurricane tale end weather conditions.
Now I have a day off work tomorrow as well - could anything be more perfect?
Best wishes to all!
Barry.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Now for the big one Barry?

We have a number of 50 mph club members, may we expect you to be the next to join? :cool:

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Well a quick update while enjoying a nice pint of Abbot Ale real ale in Weatherspoons!
Barry.
You riding a bike at 40mph doesn't impress me one bit but anybody who appreciates a drop of proper beer, (and Abbott is one of those!) is a top man in my book.....hang on a mo; my partner enjoys a drop of Abbott.....Mmm!

Her favourite however, (and mine) is Broadside from the Southwold Brewery and in the bottle, it's much stronger than on draught in a pub.

I wouldn't mind living in Southwold but I doubt I could afford even a beach hut there! There's an ebike dealer just down the road at Leiston too.

Indalo

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Down a few Abbotts, then go for the big five oh and join club 50mph, beer is intoxicating, speed is intoxicating, both are good in my book :D

And if it's the Pilton hill near Glasto, then it should be achievable.

bazwaldo

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2010
flecc, it is very unlikely! I would like to achieve 50mph on my bike but it would have to be done purely from free wheeling down a very big and steep hill as my top gear is spinning too fast at not much over 30mph. I posted recently about attempting a round trip of 34 miles to Cheddar Gorge and coming back I would come down from the Mendip Hills into Wells which might give an opportunity to try and get near to the 50mph mark. If I am able to do this trip I will post back with whatever speed I can achieve.

Indalo, funny you should mention Broadside, I had a couple of these recently as my local Weatherspoons had Adnams Broadside on tap only last week! It was on my list to have as I had tried the bottled variety before and was very keen to try the draught real ale. I was not disappointed it was very very good. Is it really stronger in the bottle? Generally give me the live draught version over the bottle version everytime.
Well I Googled the subject and found that the bottled Broadside is 6.3% while the draught version is 4.7%, I still prefer the live draught version though.

eTim, completely agree with you about beer and speed. It is Pilton hill near Glasto but try as hard as I can 40+mph is the best I can manage. As I mentioned above to flecc possibly the Mendip Hills into Wells might give the best local opportunity to get near 50mph.

Thank you all for your comments!
Barry.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Beware of beer, bikes and hills...a friend of mine had a 30mph encounter with a hedge after mixing them in the wrong quantities one evening! ;)