First confrontation.

SteveB1262

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
I think it is almost an involuntary reaction for some folk that havn't experienced riding an electric bike to see someone seemingly coasting effortlessly up an incline with a smile on their face, to react as they often do. As you experienced Steve, Those open minded enough to see the merits do, and the others just keep struggling on regardless.
It's rather rude actually as those calling cheat have no idea why I ride an ebike or how I ride it. Suffering severe spinal and heart problems making walking difficult my doc an physio suggested cycling so I bought a second hand bike to try after a 20 year break. Apart from my lack of general fitness my only real problem was launching myself due to lack of balance. I am also seventy years of age. I persevered and my general fitness has improved but not my balance problem making setting off on the road from a standing start a risky affair. I also had worries about getting too far away from home and being unable to get back home Der my own steam. An ebike was the obvious solution and what a solution. Cycling is now thoroughly enjoyable and yet I don't use the motor 80% of the time. I bought a Raleigh Motus on recommendation and that recommendation was 100% correct. The other 20% of the time is generally ECO mode with only very occassionally going into TOUR and very rarely, SPORT for steep hills. TURBO has been tried obviously but I find I just do not need to use it at all. People seem to think you are riding an electric power motorcycle for some reason hence the CHEAT. Even if a purist considers it cheating it could only be called that in competition. Is used a walking stick to aid walking 'cheating'? Let's face it, I don't really give a hoot about their lack of insight but there is no need to be rude about it. Whatever you ride, normal bike or ebike, it's one less gas guzzling, smoke emmitting motor vehicle on the road. The only person to calling it cheating to my face was my daughter's current boyfriend who actually knows my physical disabilities so he's had his card marked for him! LOL

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
I had a 35 something fat knacker - 25stone plus - call me a Cheat one year outside Tesco ..I said he liked like a pro cyclist in his 3/4 length jeans black shoes and white socks and when I asked him how much cycling he did he shuffled away...
So if anyone call you a cheat stick two fingers up to them and ride away with pride --- you are cycling and not sat eating your chlids weight in Gregs pies every hour .

Reactions: SteveB1262

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I had a 35 something fat knacker - 25stone plus - call me a Cheat one year outside Tesco ..I said he liked like a pro cyclist in his 3/4 length jeans black shoes and white socks and when I asked him how much cycling he did he shuffled away...
So if anyone call you a cheat stick two fingers up to them and ride away with pride --- you are cycling and not sat eating your chlids weight in Gregs pies every hour .
Ah, who ate all the pies.... Reminds me of when I was working outside loading trailers and we had an old man in a van come everyday with a delivery of pies for our morning break.. We refered to him as P1ssy Fingers.. cos he never washed his hands and was always backswiping his runny nose in winter.. Still bought a pie tho... Dam good they were on a frosty morning...

Last edited:

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
Cycling to work this morning I stopped at the lights and another cyclist stopped next and randomly called me a cheater.

"Oi that's cheating riding that"

Yeah.... it was 6.30am and I hadn't had my coffee so I didn't really deal with it the best way....

I may have got a bit angry, got a bit sweary and he road off quite fast.

Not sure what response he was after to be honest, he wasn't joking that is for sure!

What's with the anti ebikes vibe from other cyclists? I don't get it!

Anyone else have these kind of issues before?

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
I like to reply that i used to own one of those old fashioned bikes years ago,wearing lycra is realy trying to cheat the wind,toe clips give extra assistance,carbon frames are cheating weight,extra gears,most cyclists try and make it easier to pedal,so are cheating in some form.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I've plenty of ways of dealing with this from, all in a nice way

But today I was speechless for the first time ever. A rather old and rather overweight lady on a mobility scooter pulled up next to me. I had stopped at the roadside to take a call and she was on the pavement

Cue "has that got a motor". Yes it has for this is an electric pedal assist cycle.

"thats cheating " said the woman. Who then stood up and walked into the post office

Now I know disabilities are not obvious always and many other reasons why using such a scooter and then walking is needed and provides much needed independence for many

However , it is a bit bloody rich to make the cheating comment when she knows nothing about me or my personal situation !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Carry on like this and y’all will put me off riding my new-to-me BB Quartz, I’m choosing to ride it because I’ve had two heart attacks in the last 4 years, Dr. says I’m only half hearted decause I’m propped up by seven coronary stents and many daily pills at 81, walking is my weakness because some days I can walk a hundred yards, on others I collapse after 1/2 an isle round Tesco, 25 years ago my life as a firefighter for 28 years was very physical, now my 5 motorcycles may get used for odd days in the summer but the e-bike is something I’ve really been looking forward to — until reading about these sad folk.

Jim

Last edited:

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Carry on like this and y’all will put me off riding my new-to-me BB Quartz, I’m choosing to ride it because I’ve had two heart attacks in the last 4 years, Dr. says I’m only half hearted decause I’m propped up by seven coronary stents and many daily pills at 81, walking is my weakness because some days I can walk a hundred yards, on others I collapse after 1/2 an isle round Tesco, 25 years ago my life as a firefighter for 28 years was very physical, now my 5 motorcycles may get used for odd days in the summer but the e-bike is something I’ve really been looking forward to — until reading about these sad folk.

Jim
Don't worry about it. When they call you a cheater or whatever, just nod at them and say 'Yep!'...who gives a ** what they think, the saddo's. Some times I wish I lived in Germany

Reactions: stumpy150

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
One day I had pulled over to look at the indexing on the trike, I was having trouble with a couple of gears. A roady who had been following me pulled up to help/chat. I mentioned that I was going to put on an electric assist and apparently he didn't hear all of it (traffic):

"Oh it's got a motor then?"
"Nope, not yet"
"Oh..." in a disappointed tone, he had been having trouble keeping up with me :)

• :D
Reactions: flecc

SteveB1262

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
I've plenty of ways of dealing with this from, all in a nice way

But today I was speechless for the first time ever. A rather old and rather overweight lady on a mobility scooter pulled up next to me. I had stopped at the roadside to take a call and she was on the pavement

Cue "has that got a motor". Yes it has for this is an electric pedal assist cycle.

"thats cheating " said the woman. Who then stood up and walked into the post office

Now I know disabilities are not obvious always and many other reasons why using such a scooter and then walking is needed and provides much needed independence for many

However , it is a bit bloody rich to make the cheating comment when she knows nothing about me or my personal situation !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Most of it is borne of ignorance. They seem to think that because it has a motor then peddling is superfluous. Leave them to their ignorance as they aren't really interested in learning or they would ask you about it rather than make sarcastic comments. As for mobility scooters I too use one because it's difficult to walk more than few yards but I don't go into shop with it because most of them are simply not wheelchair or scooter friendly. That woman, having (maybe) to use one, should know better than to make any derogatory comments as I'm sure she's been subjected to them herself. If she doesn't HAVE to use one but chooses to rather than walk then what right has she got to call 'cheat'!

artspeck

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2016
Sunderland
My response is to ask them how they light a fire. Then I call them cheats for using a match instead of rubbing two sticks together. End of!

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
If electric bikes are cheating, then non electric cyclists are cheating by having gears, low rolling resistance tyres, lightweight frames...

What exactly can it be cheating at?

Reactions: SteveB1262

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Just my thought. Actually, the pedals are cheating too, we should all be on our hobby horses.

SteveB1262

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
I suppose they claim we aren't cycling in its purest form and OK they are right. However just because it suits them 'now' doesn't mean it will suit them as they get older, suffer injuries or illnesses. Others use them as transport, not purely for cycling pleasure or strenuous exercise.. The problem is, of course, they engage mouth before brain.