First cycle ride since August 2008

Jeanette Morgan

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2006
CORNWALL
Well having received my new battery - the larger lion 14Ah battery for my Ezee Sprint - I finally went out for my first cycle ride since August 2008. At that price it is important to condition the battery correctly so needed to fully discharge the battery!

Well what a lovely experience it was, I had sort of forgotten the joy of the smell of the spring flowers, being able to see over hedges and stop and enjoy sites more or less as you wanted. It was a fairly warm day with a bit of an icy cold wind when riding, the sun was out - as well as the moon (which was lovely for me because when I see the moon I always feel my Richard is the man in the moon) so he was there with me on my first cycle ride.

I was out for nearly three hours !! trying to run the battery right down. I gave up at 34 miles, a good mixture of hills, assisting, and in the end just letting the battery move me along, or I may have been out all day.....

The battery did cut out on me twice when climbing an average hill, but this may have been because my legs were so tired from my riding that I may have forgotten to pedal. I think this happens with Lion when under pressure and are low in juice (? Flecc). I stopped for about 15 mins at the cemetary, other than that I was cycling at what was an average speed (on my computer thing) of 14 mph.

I had to smile, as normally I would be praying my battery did not get into the red. And to think I've got to do this again to complete the conditioning - can't wait really. I tried to cycle routes that would end up with me going downhill when it ran out, there are advantages to living at the bottom of a hilly village.

Now I'm in bed with a hot water bottle as I got rather cold and exhausted, so keeping my muscles warm. It feels good though to have persevered and although naturally I had so many thoughts of our rides together, it felt right.

I certainly intend to use the bike as much as possible, saving the car/petrol.
One thing that did occur to me whilst on my ride was that this is one of those activities you can do alone and not look out of place.

Sorry this is so long but those of you who were here in 2008 will understand how important this ride was to me, finding a way forward after such a loss in 2008. Cycling is something I used to enjoy and will now continue to (can only ever ride an electric bike in our area and I don't mind admitting it).

Jeanette :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Glad you enjoyed the ride and that it was as near as it could be to old times Jeanette. :)

It's usual to fully charge the battery on receipt before first full use, so if you haven't done that it may be a bit erratic with cutouts. Don't worry if you don't empty it first time, the conditioning charge/discharge is valid at any time in the early stages of use. The only ill effect of not doing it immediately is the the meter isn't always accurate until the battery is conditioned fully.

Jeanette Morgan

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2006
CORNWALL
Thanks Flecc. I did fully charge it before I went out, and it did get me up some fairly major hills, so it probably was my lack of strength/assistance at those two points (strangely it was at exactly the same point twice - and not the steepest). I think I probably did run it down pretty close to empty - it finally stayed on red when stationery.

I'm impressed with the lighter weight of the battery and find it much easier to handle, the earlier ones were just that bit too heavy to hold in one hand comfortably.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Hi Jeanette,
Not being here in 2008, I can only imagine what you have been through, but so lovely to read your joyful cycle ride report and I hope you enjoy many many more of them.
Best wishes
Lynda:)

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
Hi Jeanette.

Just re-read your old post from that tragic time in your life and it made me weep once again.

I lost my father last year. I inherited my love of bikes from him and I often think of him when I'm out cycling and it makes me feel close to him.

Great to hear your back on your bike and hope everything goes well for you.

Best Wishes Ken