First ebike conversion.

Ditchkid

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 1, 2019
Hi all
Firstly I'd like to thank members on here for their knowledge and advice which led me to buy my first ebike. I started off with a £700 budget and quickly realised that I would have to increase this, after much research, generally on this site, I decided on the woosh Rio MTB. I've fallen in love with riding again and have done over 500 miles in 4 weeks. My friend bought an oxygen s cross and we both prefer each others bikes. I think the s cross is easier to pedal unassisted but we're on ebikes right? Don't really plan on riding unassisted. Another friend bought the Gtech MTB but didn't research as he now rides with battery fear and has just purchased another battery. I've had no issues with the Rio except for a noisy stand, the spring rattled when going over bumps which black pads sorted. I wasn't happy with the shocks as they "rattled" when locked, about 5mm play, but I never have them locked. I've added a suntour ncx seat post which I strongly recommend. Ive been over the trails at Cannock chase and had the best time but the Rio isn't really built for this and I'm feeling a little bit more adventurous so I've gone and bought a donor bike which I want to convert. Ive gone for a giant anthem 2012 29er which is a nice looking bike which had the bits on it that I wanted, dropper, 29 inch wheels, 203mm rotors etc but I forgot about the important stuff, BB size and triangle size. Doh! Anyway I have a 86.5mm BB, I'm aware that you can get adapters but I didn't really want to fit a bbshd as id have to have a 48v battery and space is tight enough as it is. I want a 350w motor on a 36v system (I think) I've seen some 100mm motors although hard to find. If I did go for a bbshd should I go for 100mm or 90mm as my BB is 86.5 for a better fit or 100mm and washer up to allow for tolerances. I'd appreciate any help and advice.

Kind regards

Pics of bike
P.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Please can you take a clear picture from underneath of the bottom bracket as 86mm is an odd size, try and hold a ruler or tape in the pic
The pic is a bbs02 in a specialzed camber which had appeared to have an odd sized hollow tech bb but was 73mm when all the old spacers are removed and the voodoo in the profile pic also is 71mm , you might need to make a thinner anti turn bracket

Attachments

Ditchkid

Nov 1, 2019
Please can you take a clear picture from underneath of the bottom bracket as 86mm is an odd size, try and hold a ruler or tape in the pic
The pic is a bbs02 in a specialzed camber which had appeared to have an odd sized hollow tech bb but was 73mm when all the old spacers are removed and the voodoo in the profile pic also is 71mm , you might need to make a thinner anti turn bracket
Hi Peter, thanks for your response, I'm not with the bike until Tuesday as I've had to come to London. I did offer a tape measure up and it was just under 90mm and a search online suggests it's 86.5mm a Shimano press fit, the bike is a 2012 model. If it is correct would a 90mm or 100mm motor be best and how do I know how many teeth I need on the chainring? Thanks in advance

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It's a difficult bike to convert.

Find the space for a downtube battery first.
Cut a piece of cardboard 36cm x 10cm to see where it would fit.
Also, I think you should consider an XF08C rear hub kit, the chainstays on the Anthem are made for wide tyres and small chainring, crank drive kits have a large gearbox which may foul against the drive side chainstay.

Ditchkid

Nov 1, 2019
It's a difficult bike to convert.

Find the space for a downtube battery first.
Cut a piece of cardboard 36cm x 10cm to see where it would fit.
Also, I think you should consider an XF08C rear hub kit, the chainstays on the Anthem are made for wide tyres and small chainring, crank drive kits have a large gearbox which may foul against the drive side chainstay.
Hi woosh thanks for your reply. It's because of you mainly why I bought the Rio and loving cycling again, no more sciatica! So thanks! Yep realised after I bought the giant that it would be difficult to convert to a mid drive, I mainly wanted mid because it seems all the big manufacturers are going that way to balance weight, space is tight for me, I believe MDs have the controller built in. I'm not impartial to having a rear hub motor, can the xf08c be made to fit my wheel? I can't get a downturn battery in and am looking at other options, bespoke triangle possibly?

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Hi woosh thanks for your reply. It's because of you mainly why I bought the Rio and loving cycling again, no more sciatica! So thanks! Yep realised after I bought the giant that it would be difficult to convert to a mid drive, I mainly wanted mid because it seems all the big manufacturers are going that way to balance weight, space is tight for me, I believe MDs have the controller built in. I'm not impartial to having a rear hub motor, can the xf08c be made to fit my wheel? I can't get a downturn battery in and am looking at other options, bespoke triangle possibly?
Will it not fit at all? Only you can buy HL style batteries that are side loading, brighton ebikes have them in stock now and then

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
He most likely has a PF bottom bracket (BB86), which will need the PF adapters and a torque arm to stop the motor rotating around them.

Last edited:

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
I converted a similar vintage anthem, but used the XL frame size. As you can see, the Hailong battery only just fitted.

If you can figure out how to squeeze a downtube battery in, you'll have a great bike

I ran a q128c rear hub with standard bottom bracket & a single 52t chainring, no problem with chainstay clearance

Attachments

Ditchkid

Nov 1, 2019
I converted a similar vintage anthem, but used the XL frame size. As you can see, the Hailong battery only just fitted.

If you can figure out how to squeeze a downtube battery in, you'll have a great bike

I ran a q128c rear hub with standard bottom bracket & a single 52t chainring, no problem with chainstay clearance
I'm not really concerned about the battery as I'll be able to get something in there, bespoke or mini bottle battery .https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32911116533.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail&scm=1007.22893.125764.0&pvid=6af40e6f-49f9-4f68-ba7b-a416037dcf89&onelink_thrd=0.0&onelink_page_from=ITEM_DETAIL&onelink_item_to=32911116533&onelink_duration=1.456521&onelink_status=noneresult&onelink_item_from=32911116533&onelink_page_to=ITEM_DETAIL&aff_platform=product&cpt=1572651578910&sk=cKYEz7JK&aff_trace_key=af0ce425c0254e83aec6e77ba907d043-1572651578910-01496-cKYEz7JK&terminal_id=bee2bc7e4b724dd3b661ccbc607e625d
I'm more concerned about which type of motor, I'm erring towards mid drive but looks difficult and looks like a trial and error jobbie.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
That's why I suggested a picture of the bottom bracket and chain stays, a quick look might save you your hard earned cash

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Your bearing isn't in properly on the left side. It should be flush like it is on the other side.

Ditchkid

Nov 1, 2019
Your bearing isn't in properly on the left side. It should be flush like it is on the other side.
Is there a reason for that or just a poor install? Will it make a difference as it's hopefully coming out anyway. Hoping to fit an adapter and a 100mm bbs02 whiçh are scarce.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You can get a small engineering firm to knock you up a couple of adapters. If you give them the bearing and motor, they can make the O/D and I/D to match. That's what I did. I added a thin flange to mine to protect the carbon fibre frame and to give a more positive location. You can also add a thicker flange to act as a spacer because you'll need some spacing between your 86mm BB and 100mm motor shaft.

You need to think about how to construct a torque arm to stop the motor assembly rotating around the BB. The normal method of gripping the BB won't work because your adapters will turn in their housing.

Ditchkid

Nov 1, 2019
You can get a small engineering firm to knock you up a couple of adapters. If you give them the bearing and motor, they can make the O/D and I/D to match. That's what I did. I added a thin flange to mine to protect the carbon fibre frame and to give a more positive location. You can also add a thicker flange to act as a spacer because you'll need some spacing between your 86mm BB and 100mm motor shaft.

You need to think about how to construct a torque arm to stop the motor assembly rotating around the BB. The normal method of gripping the BB won't work because your adapters will turn in their housing.
I've seen torque arms sold online as well as adapters so hopefully won't be a problem although a local fabricator might be best. Would it be best to get a 90mm motor or is 100mm best to allow for adjustments? Do you foresee any issues with my chainstay? I counted 40t on my biggest front chainring would I have to order a motor with 40t chainring? Thanks in advance

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
100mm bbs02 whiçh are scarce.
Bafang didn't make a 100mm BBS02, Cal. Ebikes made an adapter kit, but since the release of the HD, I think these have gone out of production. I did see one for sale recently while browsing, I will try and find it.
Here you go.....
Along with BB adapters it does add quite a bit to your build costs.

Reactions: Woosh

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
You may be better off looking at a 100mm HD, but you will need a 42T Bling Ring or similar to keep a decent chainline.

Ditchkid

Nov 1, 2019
You may be better off looking at a 100mm HD, but you will need a 42T Bling Ring or similar to keep a decent chainline.
Would love the hd but a small triangle limits my battery options plus trying to keep it legalish