First funny moment on an ebike

MikeFB

Pedelecer
Jun 25, 2020
So, I have had my ebike now for just over 3 weeks, been out on it 6/7 times.

Today I got my first funny moment. Me, cycling up a long moderately steep hill keeping at around 10 mph. Another quite large rider riding on the path on my right. He's well ahead of me, but going slow, so I catch him up and we are about level at the crest of the hill. I think he may have stopped at the top as well, just as I went past him.

Funny moment, young couple about 50 yards ahead waiting to cross the road, I start to descend down the other side of the hill (decided to cruise slowly down at about 15 mph with hands gently on brakes), suddenly large guy zips past me quite close, giving what looks like everything he has. Young lady looks at me with a big grin as she watches him blast past me. Me thinking what the hell just happened?

Anyway thought it was a funny moment. He may have had it in his mind to blast down that road anyway, but in the back of my mind I think he saw the ebike and thought he'll use his weight advantage down the hill and have me.

I have to say I have had a few sideways looks from other riders (non ebike riders), with almost a look of bemusement or even disdain. Could just be me, but is this something I'm going to get a lot of. Problem is I am a young and fit looking 51 year old who's been working out since my teens, but I do suffer from exercise induced asthma, hence the ebike to help cope with the hills where I live.

Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There will always be some, but they aren't numerous usually.

It may get worse currently with so many returning to cycling during the Covid crisis, but just ignore their foolishness.

Reactions: MikeFB

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
If you're both freewheeling down the hill, a heavier rider will not only accelerate faster, but he'll also reach higher top speed, thanks to Isaac newton. Maybe he was just saving his brakes.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i had a guy just hit me coming the other way down the canal path going round a bend to fast on a race bike with rim brakes could not stop and clipped my handle bars and he went flying over his and was tko and was about 1ft away from going in the drink.

me and another guy managed to drag him out the ditch but was all over the place as whacked his head and chest so walked him up to the bridge so could call a ambulance and took him to hospital.

the guy was like 60 had no shirt on no gloves or splat hat and just goes to show even a cheap helmet can save you from damage.

he had drop bars on his bike but the brake levers were pointing to the sky like they was on backwards and upside down

so thats now 2 race bikes that have hit me this year with rim brakes and no crash hat and still not a scratch on me or my bike. :p

• Informative
Reactions: flecc and MikeFB

WavyDavy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 7, 2019
It may not have been because you were on an ebike. For a lot of people, including me in a past life, another cyclist was a target. If I saw one in the distance it was my duty to catch and overtake them. Hopefully giving them a cheery wave as I flew past.

MikeFB

Pedelecer
Jun 25, 2020
Having been riding the roads where I live for a few weeks, I am now looking for off road trail routes. I think I'd prefer a slow to moderate pace and hopefully less annoying drivers and other road users :rolleyes:

Reactions: flecc

RobN

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Its my favourite new sport...I love seeing a cyclist ahead and reeling them in before going past, especially if its uphill and into a head wind..!
I was out with my wife on Sunday on our newly converted ebikes and we had pulled up at the side of the road to stretch our legs a bit. All of a sudden a group of 8 or so riders on race bikes came past taking up the whole width of the road. I said to the wife jump on, we will get past them. Unfortunately the wife is not as childish as me and refused so I said ok lets tag on at the back of them , they will wonder what the hell is going on. Unfortunately she took her time getting back on her bike and they were off and gone.
It would of been fun though. Maybe next time.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Its my favourite new sport...I love seeing a cyclist ahead and reeling them in before going past, especially if its uphill and into a head wind..!
I was out with my wife on Sunday on our newly converted ebikes and we had pulled up at the side of the road to stretch our legs a bit. All of a sudden a group of 8 or so riders on race bikes came past taking up the whole width of the road. I said to the wife jump on, we will get past them. Unfortunately the wife is not as childish as me and refused so I said ok lets tag on at the back of them , they will wonder what the hell is going on. Unfortunately she took her time getting back on her bike and they were off and gone.
It would of been fun though. Maybe next time.
vrooom :p

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0053_02.JPG

it sounds like a jet cos the cam mic is just picking up vibration as was on the handle bars.